"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 02-07-2011, 05:42 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
It looked no different than the recipe's 5 lb roast.
That's good to know, Pacinas.
It's almost up to room temp. now, and thanks for the tip about using 2 forks to keep it standing at attention. This is going to be one great weekday meal.....whoo hooo.
I'll post a picture of the meal tonight on today's dinner thread. Now to decide on the sides.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:12 PM   #12
Flour Child

oh "fun"!...this is like a treasure hunt where I have to find another thread for the finished dinner photo ...haha. But sounds worth the effort so here I go. Did you ever find out if this is called a standing rib roast or rib eye steak?

hey wait...i went to tonite's Dinner thread to see the photo but the link there directed me back to this thread...huh? Oh...your pic in post #1 was what you meant? I thought you were going to show the final result. I'm a little slow sometimes.

. My kitchen is for dancing. Bring me sunshine in a cup~emily dickinson. Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.
mollyanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:16 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

The aroma is incredible. It's hard not to open the oven and peek.
Old 02-07-2011, 06:21 PM   #14
Master Chef

MA
Quote:
Did you ever find out if this is called a standing rib roast or rib eye steak?
I think the conclusion is that it depends on how you cook it. This time it's a roast, next time a steak.

It's only 3:30 here on the left coast so it will be a while before I start cooking dinner.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:35 PM   #15
Master Chef

Dinner turned out so well, thought I'd post the pictures here too. Thanks so much for the help, friends!!

Old 02-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #16
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I need some opinions here, my friends.

I found this fantastic buy (check out the price) yesterday.
Is this a one rib Standing Rib Roast or a very thick Rib Eye Steak?

I'd really like to roast it with the "No Peeky" method.....14 min. @ 500 degrees, turn the oven off and let it set for 90 minutes with the oven door closed for that amount of time. The calculations are correct for the weight of the roast, however I wonder just how brown the outside of the meat would be with only 14 minutes time to brown at 500 degrees. I wonder if I could sear it in a CI skillet first, and what kind of adjustment should be made to the above recipe? I want it rare.

Or.......would you just fire up the barbecue and treat it like a humongous Rib Eye Steak?

I was really tickled with this "Super Bowl" price from yesterday. I bought two more for the freezer.

This is one of the problems I have now when buying roasts. The shape. A lot of roasts sold locally at my major chain these days are rather flat and not cut for height. Same with even simple rib eye and top round roasts.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:53 PM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
This is one of the problems I have now when buying roasts. The shape. A lot of roasts sold locally at my major chain these days are rather flat and not cut for height. Same with even simple rib eye and top round roasts.
If I'm understanding you right Calson, you have a problem with the roasts standing upright? The tip with the forks on this thread was a good one from Pacinis, however I ran two bamboo skewers through the roast with the ends laying on the roasting pan to keep it from falling over. With just the two of us, I appreciate a roast that won't feed an army.
I hope I understood you right, and was of some help.

Old 02-08-2011, 12:29 AM   #18
Head Chef

I'm saying a lot of roasts I buy now are butchered rather badly. I mean, the cuts I have to choose from now, when you go to slice them for a dinner, the slices are too long and narrow.

I realize some cuts are just that way, but they're getting butchered lower and lower profile now. Not exactly great looking on the plate.

Some roast cuts that used to higher in profile (before cooking) now look almost flank steak in profile. Squashed down looking.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's due to the economy or it being that's the way it's gonna be. I now find I have to be lucky to get a decently shaped roast.

Others may not notice this trend now, but I certainly do.
Old 02-08-2011, 06:30 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Super job, Kayelle. I'm going to have to see if the town grocer still gets in any of those roasts or if it was just a holiday thing. Beautiful.
Old 02-08-2011, 09:55 AM   #20
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
however I wonder just how brown the outside of the meat would be with only 14 minutes time to brown at 500 degrees. I wonder if I could sear it in a CI skillet first, and what kind of adjustment should be made to the above recipe? I want it rare.
You could brown it first, Kayelle, but you don't need to. 500 is a HOT HOT HOT oven, and that gorgeous piece of meat will brown and get a crust just fine.

I would treat it as a single prime rib and to the no peek method. (and I'm a "rare" girl, too).

What time is dinner?

Tags
meat, recipe

Meat dilemma..what to do, what to do? I need some opinions here, my friends. I found this fantastic buy (check out the price) yesterday. Is this a one rib Standing Rib Roast or a very thick Rib Eye Steak? I'd really like to roast it with the "No Peeky" method.....14 min. @ 500 degrees, turn the oven off and let it set for 90 minutes with the oven door [B]closed [/B]for that amount of time. The calculations are correct for the weight of the roast, however I wonder just how brown the outside of the meat would be with only 14 minutes time to brown at 500 degrees. I wonder if I could sear it in a CI skillet first, and what kind of adjustment should be made to the above recipe? I want it rare. Or.......would you just fire up the barbecue and treat it like a humongous Rib Eye Steak? I was really tickled with this "Super Bowl" price from yesterday. I bought two more for the freezer. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v236/Kayelle/Food/P2060172.jpg[/IMG] 3 stars 1 reviews