Meat dilemma..what to do, what to do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
taxlady said:
Ooh, sounds wonderful. Too bad my DH doesn't much like steak and wants it well done. I've told him that's why he doesn't much care for it. :LOL: But he has tried some of mine and doesn't like it. :(

I try to tell my mom the same thing- she doesn't care much for steak but it grosses her out if it's not well done. But if it's well done it's RUINED!

I'm saying a lot of roasts I buy now are butchered rather badly. I mean, the cuts I have to choose from now, when you go to slice them for a dinner, the slices are too long and narrow.

I realize some cuts are just that way, but they're getting butchered lower and lower profile now. Not exactly great looking on the plate.

Some roast cuts that used to higher in profile (before cooking) now look almost flank steak in profile. Squashed down looking.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's due to the economy or it being that's the way it's gonna be. I now find I have to be lucky to get a decently shaped roast.

Others may not notice this trend now, but I certainly do.
I think this has to do with the size and breed of the cattle. I've heard that they let them get bigger/older before they butcher them. This will result in larger muscles that will require thinner slices. Other wise you will get a huge portion because the roasta are so broad.

The classic beef roast over here is the boned rolled sirloin, the bones are roasted for gravy, I then brown a good sized piece in a pan and chuck it in the oven till it smells and feel rare to medium, I then cover with foil and rest for 45 mins. In that time I roast my tats, make my yorkies and gravy, oh dam I forgot the greens.
The trad breed here in Wales is the Welsh Black, its a small beast and it needs 30+ months from birth to death to mature hence it is not used by big commercial farmers, I buy it after 30+ days of dry ageing, the flavor and texture from roasting or grilling is wonderfull.

Back
Top Bottom