"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 11-03-2008, 01:05 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

From what I've been noticing in the meat dept's around here, it seems like they are offering sales on steaks that look (or actually are) pretty good, but chuck roasts and hamburger prices are high. They could always be had for under 2.00/lb, but certainly not anymore. However, you can still get good deals on pork; assorted loin chops and country style ribs, for under 2.00/lb.
Are these the effects of the hoof and mouth scare from a while back? Why do the cheaper cuts of pork seem unchanged in price? That's what I'd like to know.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:07 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
So what are the main differences between prime, choice and select?
I believe it's the marbling.
And there is another grade, utility.

Old 11-03-2008, 01:14 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Quicksilver, the Publix prices for chicken and pork are higher than here in MA. Our boneless pork chops are less than $3.00 and the chicken breasts are regularly $2.99 a pound with sale prices of $1.99 a pound.

"Premium" is not a recognized quality grade for beef. It's a marketing term. Choice is the highest grade you would expect to see in a supermarket. Prime is the top grade and hard for the average consumer to find. Beef grades are prime, choice and select.
Oh, okay. But that's what the ads say. So how would that translate? What grade. Each place, the meat looks nice. Although Winn-Dixie tends to cut their steaks alittle thinner, which I like, as I don't want to eat that much meat with each meal. Plus, I don't like my meat rare, just medium, and I've gotten used to how to cook their thickness to how I like.
Old 11-03-2008, 01:15 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sattie
So what are the main differences between prime, choice and select?

In the simplest terms... Intramuscular fat (marbling) percentage in the flesh. More marbling...higher grade....higher price....better flavor...more tenderness.

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 01:36 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Oh, okay. But that's what the ads say. So how would that translate? What grade. Each place, the meat looks nice...

If they aren't telling you what the grade is, I'd guess it's a lower grade and they don't want to call attention to it. I believe it's required info on the label. If it's not there, ask the meat manager.

Bottom line, if you're happy with the quality of the meat, ther is no issue. It's just that the store may be charging higher prices for lower grade meats by hiding the grade info.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:02 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with Andy...Retailers who sell/promote USDA Choice Grade beef are proud of the fact. It is normally pointed out at every opportunity in advertising that "We Only Sell Choice Beef" or something similar. They apply USDA choice lables (shields) to every package a lot of the time. Retailers who do not buy or sell USDA Choice come up with Clever descriptive adjectives to describe their beef products...One small retailer near me uses "Certified Black Canyon Beef"... Clearly a play on the Certified Black Angus branded beef....He is selling USDA Select beef.
I've heard of Publix Markets...I don't know what they sell....My guess would be if it's not promoted as USDA Choice...it's USDA Select.
No matter....Shop where it makes you happy!!

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:06 PM   #17
Executive Chef

Uncle Bob, "No matter....Shop where it makes you happy!!"

I'd love to, but I think Pacanis lives too far, with gas prices and all.
But thanks the 2 of you for your info. Maybe you've educated more than just me. - I hope?!?
Old 11-03-2008, 03:10 PM   #18
Assistant Cook

If a meat processor wants to have their meat graded by the USDA they have to pay a fee. USDA grading is optional therefore much of the meat on the market is ungraded.

USDA grades include prime, choice, select, standard, commercial, utility, cutter and canner. In addition there are sub-grades. There are 3 different levels of prime and choice, and 2 different levels of select and standard. Prime, choice, and select are the grades that you can generally buy as consumers.

I am lucky that prime grade beef is readily available in my area. The best deals going right now are the USDA prime "market steak", which is the eye of the chuck, and USDA prime "chateaubriand", which is a thick cut top sirloin. Both are $7.99/lb. USDA prime rib-eyes are going for $16.99/lb and fillet mignon can be had for $22.99/lb.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksilver View Post
Uncle Bob, "No matter....Shop where it makes you happy!!"

I'd love to, but I think Pacanis lives too far, with gas prices and all.
But thanks the 2 of you for your info. Maybe you've educated more than just me. - I hope?!?
Hah! I'm wondering how far I'll need to travel for jalapenos. I had to go to two different stores yesterday just to round up 25 or so, and they weren't exactly the size I needed either. Wally World's jalapenos got bypassed entirely as they were old and dented looking.
It's kinda funny how foods are so much more readily available in certain areas. There's still one more store I want to try, that isn't even all that close, to see if they have skirt steaks and the like.... and good jalapenos while I'm at it.
Old 11-03-2008, 03:23 PM   #20
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisgood View Post
...and USDA prime "chateaubriand", which is a thick cut top sirloin. Both are $7.99/lb...

Interesting labeling when you consider that chateaubriand is a tenderloin cut, NOT top sirloin. Properly sold, it would go for the $22/lb price of the filet mignon.

Tags
None