"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 11-03-2008, 03:58 PM   #21
Sous Chef

We have just two grades here mostly, "budget" and "prime", then they might say "lot fed" or "grass fed" or sometimes "grain fed"
Our local Meatworks is coming to the end of their season so prices have risen. Rib eye [cube roll to us] is selling for about US$3.50lb for "budget" and around US$10/$11lb for "prime". The vast majority of meat processed here locally is for the US market and because it is a seasonal operation and jobs are plentiful we import most of the workers. I'm not absolutely sure but I think this years' crew came from Brazil.
The cheapest meat by far for us is Canadian pork, this week I see leg roasts going for app US$2.50lb

Old 11-03-2008, 05:31 PM   #22
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
So what are the main differences between prime, choice and select?
Right you are, Andy. The designation to look for if you are looking for graded beef is USDA. There is so much private labelling around, most, in my opinion, designed to mislead, or at best to confuse. Chances are, if it has a private label (Managers choice, Premium, etc) you are getting select grade beef. For many applications, there is nothing wrong with that. It may require a marinade or longer cooking.
Sattie, beef is graded based on marbeling and yield. A DA grader actually examines each carcass and stamps it with a blue label on each breaking cut You will not typically see the grade stamp on individual retail piece. Prime is the top grade, then choice, then select. In general, the higher the grade, the better tasting and and more tender the beef.

Old 11-04-2008, 09:05 AM   #23
Master Chef

The store I go to, ShopRite is having a sale on London Broil $1.99 a pound and it is choice meat.
Old 11-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #24
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Interesting labeling when you consider that chateaubriand is a tenderloin cut, NOT top sirloin. Properly sold, it would go for the $22/lb price of the filet mignon.
Andy, I have also seen tenderloin marketed as chateaubriand, but Darrell Corti, internationally respected food and wine expert who was recently inducted into the "Vintners Hall of Fame" of the Culinary Institute of America, calls his thick cut top sirloin chateaubriand; so who am I to argue?

Here is a link to a picture of Corti's chateaubriand on their website:

Chateaubriand steak at Corti Brothers
Old 11-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #25
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpleisgood View Post
Andy, I have also seen tenderloin marketed as chateaubriand, but Darrell Corti, internationally respected food and wine expert who was recently inducted into the "Vintners Hall of Fame" of the Culinary Institute of America, calls his thick cut top sirloin chateaubriand; so who am I to argue?

Here is a link to a picture of Corti's chateaubriand on their website:

Chateaubriand steak at Corti Brothers

Never heard of the Corti brothers but I would argue with them. If you were to google the term, you would find all reputable references are to the tenderloin.

If you've ever had real chateaubriand, you would feel cheated if you were served top sirloin as chateaubriand. It's not even close to a reasonable substitute. The tenderloin is a very tender and distinctly flavored cut. Top sirloin is tougher and not well marbled cut. The taste is not the same.

Just my take on the subject.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:14 PM   #26
Assistant Cook

Andy, I understand that "Chateuabriand" is most often a name attributed to tenderloin, but when you go to the store, it is obvious that what they call CB is not fillet mignon, and if you ask them what CB is they will tell you that it is a thick cut top sirloin.

Corti. Bros. actually doesn't carry USDA prime fillet mignon very often, but one of Darrell Corti's protege's, David Berkeley, who opened his own store, carries it regularly.

Darrell Corti has been an icon to local foodies and restauranteurs for decades, and is truly an internationally recognized expert. Google Darrell Corti and you can read for yourself.

Here are a few links from 2 of California's most prominent newspapers attesting to his standing. Notice the comments by Alice Waters of "Chez Panisse", and "Gourmet" magazines editor Ruth Reichal:

http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-corti10-2008sep10,0,968086.story

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2007/09/14/WI37S0R6D.DTL

The LA Times article states, "He is deeply knowledgeable on a wide variety of culinary topics and always willing to share that knowledge. For many food lovers, before there was Google, there was Darrell.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:48 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

My issue is that CB is a classic recipe and cut of meat. Assigning the name CB to a top sirloin is nothing more than a marketing ploy to give an air of quality or 'class' to a cheaper cut of meat.

That the Corti Brothers are well known in your area and 'knowledgeable' tells me they don't care for accuracy in food labeling as much as intentionally making something less expensive appear to be something more expensive for their own purposes.

I guess we are going to have to disagree on this issue.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:10 AM   #28
Executive Chef

I've just got back with my meat order -
a hindquarter of beef - 76.36kg at 4 a kg = 305
half a pig - 32kg at 3.86 kg =117.76

My freezers are now bulging at the seams.
Old 12-05-2008, 01:38 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Pork butt. $1.19/lb!
Oh yeah, I got a couple. I'm going to cut them in half, about 3-1/2 to 4 lb pieces and freeze them :^)
Old 12-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #30
Sous Chef

Last steaks I bought were Prime ribeyes at $15/lb

Tags
None