"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 12-09-2008, 05:30 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

Is that normal for UT?

Old 12-09-2008, 05:47 PM   #32
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Is that normal for UT?

Most markets do not sell Prime beef here but when I want a good steak then I will go to the ones that do. Yea, the price is pretty normal for around here.

I will try to post some ad prices soon.

Old 12-09-2008, 06:01 PM   #33
Sous Chef

Smiths-
Boneless New York Steak - $6.99/ lb
Pork Butt Roast - $1.69/lb
Pork Loin or Rib Chops - $2.79/lb
London Broil - $2.49/lb
Old 01-06-2009, 12:19 AM   #34
Master Chef

Here are the meats I picked up for this week:
Chicken drums and thighs for $1.49/lb
USDA Choice Round Bone Chuck Roast $1.99/lb
USDA Choice Delmonico Steak $2.99/lb
USDA Choice Ribeye Steak $2.99/lb

Is that good? I know for around here that is pretty good for the grocery stores. The butchers have way better cuts but at $3 or more per lb than these so those are a treat reserved mostly for summer, LOL.
Old 01-06-2009, 12:26 AM   #35
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
You got choice ribeyes for $2.99/lb? That's a got darn doorbuster!

I just called in cutting instructions for a mixed quarter of organically raised beef (not certified, but I know the people and am comfortable knowing exactly what I'm getting versus mass market). I'm paying the farmer $1.50/lb hanging weight and $0.40/lb to Maplewood for processing. I asked for as little ground beef as possible, and all the HTF cuts like hanger, skirt, brisket, chuck eye, etc. in addition to the t-bones, rib eyes, t-loins, and such. My family doesn't love roasts either, so I tried to get the most out of it. By the time I got to asking about the Newport cut, she said "Andrea, put the cookbooks away!" LOL
Old 01-06-2009, 12:56 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
You got choice ribeyes for $2.99/lb? That's a got darn doorbuster!

I just called in cutting instructions for a mixed quarter of organically raised beef (not certified, but I know the people and am comfortable knowing exactly what I'm getting versus mass market). I'm paying the farmer $1.50/lb hanging weight and $0.40/lb to Maplewood for processing. I asked for as little ground beef as possible, and all the HTF cuts like hanger, skirt, brisket, chuck eye, etc. in addition to the t-bones, rib eyes, t-loins, and such. My family doesn't love roasts either, so I tried to get the most out of it. By the time I got to asking about the Newport cut, she said "Andrea, put the cookbooks away!" LOL
I was surprised to see that as well, usually they just say "USDA Grade" which as discussed before means less than Choice grade. They only had 4 packages left, so I had a hunch I was stealin em! LOL. Well, assuming they didn't 'mislabel' them that is... I don't think they did, great marbling and nice and thick cut. Marinading now for tomorrows dinner!

That's too funny about the cookbook remark, LOL
Old 01-06-2009, 01:09 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
My issue is that CB is a classic recipe and cut of meat. Assigning the name CB to a top sirloin is nothing more than a marketing ploy to give an air of quality or 'class' to a cheaper cut of meat.

That the Corti Brothers are well known in your area and 'knowledgeable' tells me they don't care for accuracy in food labeling as much as intentionally making something less expensive appear to be something more expensive for their own purposes.

I guess we are going to have to disagree on this issue.
I totally agree... i simply do not understand why people/vendors/companies choose to "redefine" classic terms and cuts to suit their own purposes and then create these confusions. I can accept getting creative (ie. Certified Canyon Beef) since they arent passing it off as Certified Angus, but to call a Top Sirloin portion Chateaubriand when it is well-known it is the center portion of the tenderloin is ludicrous.

This is almost as bad as "Prime Rib" - a rib roast that is not of USDA Prime is simply not "Prime Rib". As a matter of fact, I think Hardee's (Carl Jr out west) now has a "Prime Rib Sandwich" or something like that. Probably some compressed, beef and water product composed of who-knows-what-else... Prime Rib... I think NOT.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:51 PM   #38
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Hmm ... here we almost always prefer the tenderloin cut. But given the choice between prime grade sirloin and a lesser grade of tenderloin, I'd go with the sirloin.

Here's a bit of trivia that will likely be debated until the end of time.
Chateaubriand Facts, History and Trivia
Old 01-06-2009, 10:41 PM   #39
Head Chef

Prime has a lot of marbling and is gorgeous. The marbling makes the meat tender and flavorful
Choice is leaner.
Select is commercial grade--the lowest and finds its way into canned chili and soups etc.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:04 PM   #40
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seven S View Post
I totally agree... i simply do not understand why people/vendors/companies choose to "redefine" classic terms and cuts to suit their own purposes and then create these confusions. I can accept getting creative (ie. Certified Canyon Beef) since they arent passing it off as Certified Angus, but to call a Top Sirloin portion Chateaubriand when it is well-known it is the center portion of the tenderloin is ludicrous.

This is almost as bad as "Prime Rib" - a rib roast that is not of USDA Prime is simply not "Prime Rib". As a matter of fact, I think Hardee's (Carl Jr out west) now has a "Prime Rib Sandwich" or something like that. Probably some compressed, beef and water product composed of who-knows-what-else... Prime Rib... I think NOT.
Misleading grading or implying quality that is not there often works. Example: Certified Angul Beef is not a grade, but a marketing tool to convince the market that Angus is superior to other breeds of cattle. Certified Angul need contain only half or more Angus, and must meet 9 other criteria, but carries little weight. There is no reason that other beef breeds should be of lesser quality than Angus. Check out the definition of Certified Angus.

Tags
None