Meat prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

quicksilver

Washing Up
I got to thinking of starting a thread about meat prices.
We don't have a general meat catagory, so I'm posting under beef.
If it needs to be moved, I'm sure it will be.
We have a thread about gas prices. And recently Pacanis was mentioning some good deals he got,
with others mentioning their local prices of the day.
I now have the 2 flyers for this week's prices on some meat, so I'll post them.
And some other things I know I'm paying higher than most on.
Each week will be different meat, and some other select items, different prices.
I'm jealous of what some of you are paying.
Here's Pacanis' and others comments:

10-28-2008, 01:02 PM #1pacanis

Where's the beef?

In my freezer :wacko:

You remember those ribeyes I picked up last week for 4.99/lb? I saw the store still advertising NY strips for 2.88/lb, so I stopped in to see if they still had the ribeyes. They did. They also had porterhouse loins for 3.99/lb, already frozen. :D So the foodsaver and I just had a little session again. I think I'm still going to go back for another ribeye loin. Last week I called the butcher I had boughten a quarter from last year and a front quarter was 2.35/lb and a rear 2.65 or 2.85 (it's written down somewhere), but at these beef prices...... I think I'll just stock up on steaks
-------------------------------------------------------------

post_old.gif
10-29-2008, 05:19 PM #22GrantsKat
Certified Executive Chef

Ok....I just got my sales flyers form Winn Dixie & Food Lion........ribeyes (choice) are on SALE for $6.99 lb, "savings of $4.50 lb":ermm:strip steak (value pack) $8.99 lb "save $4.00 lb":mad::ohmy:
Its no wonder I dont buy much steak! I wonder if it would be cheaper to drive to PA & pick up some ribeyes & drive back to Florida:LOL:

post_old.gif
10-31-2008, 08:56 AM #25buckytom
Certified Master Chef

i just looked at a local market's specials this week. angus porterhouses for $4.99/lb, choice for $3.99/lb.

10-31-2008, 03:37 PM #34GrillingFool
Executive Chef

My local Krogers has whole Beef Sirloin tips $1.99 a pound.
That's the end of those prices. Now here's mine.
PUBLIX
Top Sirloin $4.99lb save $2.00 a lb.
Top Round London Broil $3.99lb save $ .90 a lb.
Chuck Pot Roast $3.99lb save $1.00 a lb.
Boneless Pork Loin Chops $4.99lb save $ .40 a lb.
Boneless,skinless chicken breasts $3.99lb save $1.40 a lb.
1 gal. whole milk $3.59
potatoes, depending on type $4.99-$6.99 for 5lbs.

WINN-DIXIE
Ribeye steak bone in $6.99lb save $4.50 a lb
Ribeye steak no bone $7.99lb save $5.00 a lb
NY strip steak $8.99lb save $4.00 a lb.
Eyeround roast $3.49lb save $1.30 a lb.
Boneless pork loin chops $5.39lb-buy 1, get 1 free
Boneless,skinless chicken breasts $4.49 a lb- buy one, get 1 free
1 lb butter 2/$6 save $ .39
5lb yellow, red, idaho potatoes $4.99- buy 1, get 1 free.

Anyone else think these prices are crazy?

I bought T-bones this past weekend for 3.99 lb. And skirt steak 1.99 lb.

To make sure we are comparing apples to apples --- Please state if the beef is Choice or Select Grade ---Pkg size is sometimes helpful --- Family packs etc can run... less expensive than 2 packs etc. Also if the beef is a "Branded" product ---Like Certified Angus Beef (CAB) etc.

No, Uncle Bob, no family packs on any of them.
They (family packs) are cheaper anyway, so that would be worse!
And no Angus either.
Let's see if the ad says what kind otherwise...

OK,
Publix TopSirloin, London Broil, Chuck all say "Premium". That's all they carry on the beef.

Winn-Dixie on:
Ribeye w/ bone and w/o bone and NY Strip, and Eyeround, all say choice. (that's lower grade that Publix! Wowwie!)

PUBLIX
Top Sirloin $4.99lb save $2.00 a lb.
Top Round London Broil $3.99lb save $ .90 a lb.
Chuck Pot Roast $3.99lb save $1.00 a lb.
Boneless Pork Loin Chops $4.99lb save $ .40 a lb.
Boneless,skinless chicken breasts $3.99lb save $1.40 a lb.

WINN-DIXIE
Ribeye steak bone in $6.99lb save $4.50 a lb
Ribeye steak no bone $7.99lb save $5.00 a lb
NY strip steak $8.99lb save $4.00 a lb.
Eyeround roast $3.49lb save $1.30 a lb.
Boneless pork loin chops $5.39lb-buy 1, get 1 free

Quicksilver, the Publix prices for chicken and pork are higher than here in MA. Our boneless pork chops are less than $3.00 and the chicken breasts are regularly $2.99 a pound with sale prices of $1.99 a pound.

"Premium" is not a recognized quality grade for beef. It's a marketing term. Choice is the highest grade you would expect to see in a supermarket. Prime is the top grade and hard for the average consumer to find. Beef grades are prime, choice and select.

Thanks for the info Quicksilver...I wasn't meaning you in particular ---just for everyone else moving forward in the thread...:)

Oh--- "Premium" is not a recognied USDA grade of beef...Most grocery chains offer either "Choice" or the next lower grade of "Select".

Publixs is however getting a "Premium" price for some of their beef!!

From what I've been noticing in the meat dept's around here, it seems like they are offering sales on steaks that look (or actually are) pretty good, but chuck roasts and hamburger prices are high. They could always be had for under 2.00/lb, but certainly not anymore. However, you can still get good deals on pork; assorted loin chops and country style ribs, for under 2.00/lb.
Are these the effects of the hoof and mouth scare from a while back? Why do the cheaper cuts of pork seem unchanged in price? That's what I'd like to know.

Quicksilver, the Publix prices for chicken and pork are higher than here in MA. Our boneless pork chops are less than $3.00 and the chicken breasts are regularly $2.99 a pound with sale prices of $1.99 a pound.

"Premium" is not a recognized quality grade for beef. It's a marketing term. Choice is the highest grade you would expect to see in a supermarket. Prime is the top grade and hard for the average consumer to find. Beef grades are prime, choice and select.

Oh, okay. But that's what the ads say. So how would that translate? What grade. Each place, the meat looks nice. Although Winn-Dixie tends to cut their steaks alittle thinner, which I like, as I don't want to eat that much meat with each meal. Plus, I don't like my meat rare, just medium, and I've gotten used to how to cook their thickness to how I like.

Sattie said:
So what are the main differences between prime, choice and select?

In the simplest terms... Intramuscular fat (marbling) percentage in the flesh. More marbling...higher grade....higher price....better flavor...more tenderness.

Oh, okay. But that's what the ads say. So how would that translate? What grade. Each place, the meat looks nice...

If they aren't telling you what the grade is, I'd guess it's a lower grade and they don't want to call attention to it. I believe it's required info on the label. If it's not there, ask the meat manager.

Bottom line, if you're happy with the quality of the meat, ther is no issue. It's just that the store may be charging higher prices for lower grade meats by hiding the grade info.

I agree with Andy...Retailers who sell/promote USDA Choice Grade beef are proud of the fact. It is normally pointed out at every opportunity in advertising that "We Only Sell Choice Beef" or something similar. They apply USDA choice lables (shields) to every package a lot of the time. Retailers who do not buy or sell USDA Choice come up with Clever descriptive adjectives to describe their beef products...One small retailer near me uses "Certified Black Canyon Beef"...:ermm: Clearly a play on the Certified Black Angus branded beef....He is selling USDA Select beef.
I've heard of Publix Markets...I don't know what they sell....My guess would be if it's not promoted as USDA Choice...it's USDA Select.
No matter....Shop where it makes you happy!!

Enjoy!

Uncle Bob, "No matter....Shop where it makes you happy!!"

I'd love to, but I think Pacanis lives too far, with gas prices and all.
But thanks the 2 of you for your info. Maybe you've educated more than just me. - I hope?!?

If a meat processor wants to have their meat graded by the USDA they have to pay a fee. USDA grading is optional therefore much of the meat on the market is ungraded.

USDA grades include prime, choice, select, standard, commercial, utility, cutter and canner. In addition there are sub-grades. There are 3 different levels of prime and choice, and 2 different levels of select and standard. Prime, choice, and select are the grades that you can generally buy as consumers.

I am lucky that prime grade beef is readily available in my area. The best deals going right now are the USDA prime "market steak", which is the eye of the chuck, and USDA prime "chateaubriand", which is a thick cut top sirloin. Both are $7.99/lb. USDA prime rib-eyes are going for $16.99/lb and fillet mignon can be had for $22.99/lb.

Uncle Bob, "No matter....Shop where it makes you happy!!"

I'd love to, but I think Pacanis lives too far, with gas prices and all.
But thanks the 2 of you for your info. Maybe you've educated more than just me. - I hope?!?

Hah! I'm wondering how far I'll need to travel for jalapenos. I had to go to two different stores yesterday just to round up 25 or so, and they weren't exactly the size I needed either. Wally World's jalapenos got bypassed entirely as they were old and dented looking.
It's kinda funny how foods are so much more readily available in certain areas. There's still one more store I want to try, that isn't even all that close, to see if they have skirt steaks and the like.... and good jalapenos while I'm at it.

...and USDA prime "chateaubriand", which is a thick cut top sirloin. Both are $7.99/lb...

Interesting labeling when you consider that chateaubriand is a tenderloin cut, NOT top sirloin. Properly sold, it would go for the $22/lb price of the filet mignon.

Back
Top Bottom