Meatballs - Regular Oven vs Microwave?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helcifer

Assistant Cook
Hi Guys, may I know which is better (& easlier) to use for cooking meatballs? A regular oven or a microwave oven?

It might be easier to use the microwave... but the taste/color won't be as nice.
Go with the oven or better yet pan fry.

smiles, T

Helcifer,
Using the microwave is probably easier/faster. However, the meatballs will be soggy and they will not have a nice brown color. I personally prefer the oven or do as Dave/pdswife recommend (pan fry)

As I have gotten older I have gotten lazier, so now I often use the oven for meaty balls.

Particularly if I am making a lot, which I am prone to do. We are both children of Great Depression parents, and we tend to make more than we need - sometimes by a lot.

It is something that cannot be taken out of us. But it leads to us having a lot of leftovers.

The nuker, we love it. Our old one died and we went out and bought a new one immediately. Cannot believe how cheap they have become since we bought our first one.

It is great for warming things up.

But for cooking meatballs, I don't use it.

The nuker tickles the water molecules in the stuff and it does get cooked. But somehow I just don't like how the food turns out.

So I roast or take out my pots and pans. Or pull out the tired old grill.

Just the way I do things.

Take care and God bless.

I guess it's all in what you get used to. I've done meatballs in the microwave, and liked them fine...I always put them in a sauce, so the lack of color doesn't matter. The oven is my second choice. I don't like doing them in the skillet, as they require constant attention, tend to burn and fall apart, and make a mess on the stove.

I use the oven because I like the browning and caramelized flavor they get - the microwave doesn't do that. And as Constance said, cooking them in a skillet is messy and takes a lot of attention.

Hmm.. what about Convection Ovens? Will they cook the meatballs as good as a regular oven?

Tip:

I don`t know about Homemade ones, but if you buy the Canned meatballs, do NOT microwave them, they Will explode! :rolleyes:

For regular meatballs I always shallow fry in a skillet. (the meatballs shouldn't be too large, slightly smaller than a ping pong ball at the most) I like the crisp and savoury texture on the outside

I am also fond of wrapping brussell sprouts (precooked al dente) inside the meatballs, then I bake it in the oven, covered with tomato based sauce and then cover the baking dish with a foil. Moister, softer effect is nicer on stuffed meatballs like this.

Making meatballs for tonight's spaghetti, but forgot how long and at what temp to use when cooking them in oven.

I brown mine in a saute pan with oil. When they are a nice dark brown all over they go into the sauce.

I brown mine in the oven, using a half sheet pan and a cake rack to keep them up out of their fat. Much less mess and less fat than doing them in a pan on top the stove. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom