Meatballs with whole wheat bread?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Argamemnon

Senior Cook
Hi all,

I want to make Greek meatballs (keftedes), but meatball recipes always call for white bread, which I don't eat. Can't I use whole wheat bread when making meatballs instead of white bread? If not, why not?

You can use any kind of bread or crackers. Most recipes specify white bread because that has been the standard household bread for decades.

If you use a bread with a stronger flavor that white bread, expect it to effect the flavor of the meatballs.

Keftedes are one of my favorite Greek dishes. There is no reason you can't make these beauties with wheat bread. Just use a little less since wheat bread is denser than white bread. The bread just might give the meatballs a very interesting flavor although with all of the other ingredients you may not even notice.

Thanks guys, I made them with breadcrumbs. Delicious. First, I fried the onions and then I added breadcrumbs, eggs, parsley, minced garlic, oregano, black pepper and a little cumin.

I always substitute whole wheat bread/crumbs in recipes, I never notice a difference

Back
Top Bottom