"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 01-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #41
Senior Cook

Instead of using tomato sauce I use steak sauce to give it a zip. Plus I add garlic too

Old 01-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #42
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorie View Post
Instead of using tomato sauce I use steak sauce to give it a zip. Plus I add garlic too
Believe it or not, I've never used steak sauce. I've seen A1 advertised, is it any good?

Old 01-12-2009, 04:07 PM   #43
Cook

I'm sure I haven't cornered the market on great meatloaf, but I received enough help here to concoct a winner, at least to my taste. Taking the advice of ANDY M and BreezyCooking, I abandoned the sissy amounts I had used the fist time and doubled virtually everything. I added 2 cloves of garlic and a pinch of dried red pepper. Not only that, I went even farther and tossed in 1 t. spoon Lawry's seasoned salt for emphasis. I still didn't use cheese maybe next time.

I want to brag a little too. I didn't like the bread crumbs in any amount I was always conscious of a cardboard taste so I left it out altogether this time. Instead, I cut the crust off some Italian bread and ran it through a blender (1+1/2 cup) and soaked it in a half cup of beer. I mixed everything but the meat first, and then combined it with the meat. It felt stiff so I added several more T. spoons of beer. When it didn't crust up well after an hour, I gave it another 15 minutes which turned out just right. I think my oven thermometer has seen betters days.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:43 PM   #44
Master Chef

Mignon - A1 Steak Sauce is actually a nice zippy sauce. I've used it on meatloaf & on burgers - even on french fries; never on steaks though - lol!! If you need to put A1 on a steak, you have to have one piss-poor piece of meat on your plate - lol!!!

Oh, & HURRAY FOR YOUR MEATLOAF!!! Just keep experimenting. That's half the fun of meatloaf - I don't think I've ever made exactly the same one twice!!
Old 01-12-2009, 05:21 PM   #45
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Congratulations on your meatloaf success mignon!
Old 07-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #46
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to R Hill
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
As you noted, the more you handle the meat the tighter it gets so you can control the tight vs. soft texture.

I would add more onion, some mushrooms, some soy or Worcestershire sauce, thyme, grated romano or parmesan cheese.

Also, I process the vegetables in a food processor until they are almost pureed. They add more moisture that way and are easier to mix into the meat. Also, they cook and give up their flavor easier when processed.

I agree don't overmix and don't skimp on the bread
Old 07-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #47
Master Chef

Free form vs loaf pan? I do both. I have to say I'm also a never-the-same-twice kind of cook. I've used low fat beef, three meats, and yes, in a misbegotten attempt to lower our cholesterol, beans. I sometimes do free form, but in fact my husband's favorite thing with meatloaf is sandwiches. A loaf pan makes for a neat slice to go into a sandwich. Also, if you're baking for sandwich slices later, you want the meatloaf to be really dense, almost a pate in structure.
Old 07-03-2009, 09:14 AM   #48
Sous Chef

Like Claire - I make it both ways also. If for sandwiches, I use the pan for sandwich fitting (I eat my meatloaf sandwiches at room temperature with a squirt of yellow mustard, and a slice of onion.

I use free form if I am just plating to go with mash & gravy as free form gives more "crust". And like Claire, I never make the same thing exactly the same way. What would be the fun in that?

Bob
Old 07-03-2009, 10:53 AM   #49
Executive Chef

certainly have done it both ways, and like to use a low sided pan and shape my loaf, but not really like a loaf of bread, and not so as the pan sides hold it in. Sort of in between.
Old 07-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #50
Head Chef

I always do mine free-form. I'm another crust fan!

Tags
None