Meatloaf in a pan or in free form?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm sure I haven't cornered the market on great meatloaf, but I received enough help here to concoct a winner, at least to my taste. Taking the advice of ANDY M and BreezyCooking, I abandoned the sissy amounts I had used the fist time and doubled virtually everything. I added 2 cloves of garlic and a pinch of dried red pepper. Not only that, I went even farther and tossed in 1 t. spoon Lawry's seasoned salt for emphasis. I still didn't use cheese — maybe next time.

I want to brag a little too. I didn't like the bread crumbs in any amount — I was always conscious of a cardboard taste so I left it out altogether this time. Instead, I cut the crust off some Italian bread and ran it through a blender (1+1/2 cup) and soaked it in a half cup of beer. I mixed everything but the meat first, and then combined it with the meat. It felt stiff so I added several more T. spoons of beer. When it didn't crust up well after an hour, I gave it another 15 minutes which turned out just right. I think my oven thermometer has seen betters days.

Mignon - A1 Steak Sauce is actually a nice zippy sauce. I've used it on meatloaf & on burgers - even on french fries; never on steaks though - lol!! If you need to put A1 on a steak, you have to have one piss-poor piece of meat on your plate - lol!!!

Oh, & HURRAY FOR YOUR MEATLOAF!!! Just keep experimenting. That's half the fun of meatloaf - I don't think I've ever made exactly the same one twice!!

As you noted, the more you handle the meat the tighter it gets so you can control the tight vs. soft texture.

I would add more onion, some mushrooms, some soy or Worcestershire sauce, thyme, grated romano or parmesan cheese.

Also, I process the vegetables in a food processor until they are almost pureed. They add more moisture that way and are easier to mix into the meat. Also, they cook and give up their flavor easier when processed.

I agree don't overmix and don't skimp on the bread;)

Free form vs loaf pan? I do both. I have to say I'm also a never-the-same-twice kind of cook. I've used low fat beef, three meats, and yes, in a misbegotten attempt to lower our cholesterol, beans. I sometimes do free form, but in fact my husband's favorite thing with meatloaf is sandwiches. A loaf pan makes for a neat slice to go into a sandwich. Also, if you're baking for sandwich slices later, you want the meatloaf to be really dense, almost a pate in structure.

Like Claire - I make it both ways also. If for sandwiches, I use the pan for sandwich fitting (I eat my meatloaf sandwiches at room temperature with a squirt of yellow mustard, and a slice of onion.

I use free form if I am just plating to go with mash & gravy as free form gives more "crust". And like Claire, I never make the same thing exactly the same way. What would be the fun in that?

Bob

certainly have done it both ways, and like to use a low sided pan and shape my loaf, but not really like a loaf of bread, and not so as the pan sides hold it in. Sort of in between.

With 35 years of experience making meatloaf, I can attest that using 80% fat ground chuck, and then putting your mixture (whatever the contents you add) into a freeform loaf ON TOP OF SLICED BREAD and not touching the sides (I use a 9x12 glass casserole dish) will give you a perfectly cooked, semi-crusty, non-greasy loaf.

never used breadcrumbs, always use oatmeal whole or coarse ground in the
blender. my meatloaf, modified slightly from the 'family recipe', ROCKS!

never used breadcrumbs, always use oatmeal whole or coarse ground in the
blender. my meatloaf, modified slightly from the 'family recipe', ROCKS!
i use rolled oats also and just a tad of bread crumbs.

I'm a free form fan too. I shape it in a loaf dish then bake on a foil covered sheet.

For some extra interest, slice a kosher dill pickle into spears and lay these across
the top of the loaf before cooking!

I also like to coat the loaf with a ketchup, hot sauce, brown sugar and worchestershire mixture the last 15 minutes to get that classic crust.
My wife prefers it without, because she likes to drown the loaf in gravy....

I'm a free form fan too. I shape it in a loaf dish then bake on a foil covered sheet.

For some extra interest, slice a kosher dill pickle into spears and lay these across
the top of the loaf before cooking!

I also like to coat the loaf with a ketchup, hot sauce, brown sugar and worchestershire mixture the last 15 minutes to get that classic crust.
My wife prefers it without, because she likes to drown the loaf in gravy....
gravy gooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooood!! LOL i sometimes place loaf directly in pan and bake. last 15 minutes i pour cream of mushroom gravy over the top.

With 35 years of experience making meatloaf, I can attest that using 80% fat ground chuck, and then putting your mixture (whatever the contents you add) into a freeform loaf ON TOP OF SLICED BREAD and not touching the sides (I use a 9x12 glass casserole dish) will give you a perfectly cooked, semi-crusty, non-greasy loaf.

I agree completely!

what do you do with the bread after the meat loaf is done cooking?

you could moisturize your face with it!!:ROFLMAO:
wow. depending on what the ratio of fat is you could get some
serious grease in that bread.

all teasing aside, that is a new one on me. never heard of it before,
but I might try it. in fact, all this talk about meatloaf has made me
think I need to make one tonight. it has been so nice out the last
4 days I have actually been able to use my oven without collapsing
from heat-prostration!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom