"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Old 05-11-2008, 10:30 PM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by mignon View Post
Please help me out here, I feel overwhelmed. Is it bad form not to reply to every comment? I'm supposing that to avoid elongating a thread unnecessarily, one addresses the most relevant comments. Have I been rude to Buckytom? If so, I apologize. .
you weren't being rude, mignon, so no apology necessary at all.

i was serious in my first 2 suggestions, though, about ground turkey. (the rest was just comedy, or "silliness").
it would help with the leaking fat problem. so the relevance is in the eye of the beer holder.

in nomine patri, et fili, et spiritus sancti.
beidh ar la linn.
wisdom is often in short supply within ones' ego.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 11:47 PM   #32
Head Chef
I take care not to overmix the mix; use oatmeat as filler; use Heinz 57 sauce, ketchup, and S&P; then I line a loaf pan with parchment paper and use it as a mold. I turn it out and back it freestanding, no loaf pan. The excess grease can run onto the pan/out of the loaf, but so long as you use a bit of oatmeal as filler and 85% lean or so burger your loaf should be fine. And, obviously, lots of onions and a bit of garlic is necessary.

The crucial secret? When it's halfway done, slather the top with lots of ketchup!

If we're not supposed to eat animals, then how come they're made out of meat?
Rob Babcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:49 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire
Here's my recipe for meatloaf (basically Betty Crocker's with some changes) in another thread on the subject: ISO Meatloaf Recipe It always turns out great, with wonderful flavor. HTH.
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 08:57 AM   #34
Master Chef
Site Moderator
GG - How was the weekend trip to the Eastern Shore??? Any good food adventures?
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:39 AM   #35
After 257 lbs. beef, I think I've finally created my Michelangelo of a meatloaf incorporating the wisdom showered on me during my culinary odyssey. I put aside the toe dancing and concentrated on basics figuring that if I could make a decent basic meatloaf now, I could do the arabesques later.

The first thing I did right was dump my fancy, two piece meatloaf pan and go free form. The next thing I did right, to achieve a nice crust, was to give my loaf 15 minutes under the broiler at the end. Further, I couldn't believe it, but the oatmeal worked fine — I used half a cup [to 1.5 lb. chuck] of the old fashioned variety and bothered to cook it first. I also sautéed the onion, garlic, and bell pepper until very soft before incorporating into the mix. I winced as I added the half cup of milk (I hate milk), but it made the mix mixable. My only show of creativity (for me) was a quarter teaspoon of cayenne and a modest amount of ketchup to coat the loaf. After 55 minutes, the thermometer read 155 degrees, so I pulled that lovely mound of beef out of the oven and let it cool for around a half hour.

I don't think you experts would jump up and down cheer for the result, but it was the best meatloaf I ever made. I thought the taste was very good, although I may have packed it a little too tight. (At this rate, I may open a meatloaf salon next year.)

Thank you all.
mignon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 10:02 AM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef
Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got a product you like. Now it's up to you to experiment with different seasonings, meats, etc. to compile a host of different meatloaf recipes.
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 02:47 PM   #37
Head Chef
Send a message via MSN to Caine
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 cup oatmeal
½ onion, diced
½ bell pepper, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 eggs
1 Tbs oregano
½ cup tomato sauce
1 Tbs olive oil

Sauté onion, bell pepper, and celery in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and continue to sauté until onions are transparent. Add tomato sauce and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes or more. Allow sauce to cool to room temperature.

Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add ground beef, ground turkey breast, and oregano to bowl, mix thoroughly, then add sauce to bowl and combine. Pat tightly into Pyrex loaf pan, then turn out onto a broiler pan. Bake in 375F oven for 1 hour. Makes 8 servings.

Total protein per serving – 17.0g
Total carbs per serving – 3.5g
Total fat per serving – 9.0g
Caine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #38
Master Chef
Site Moderator
Originally Posted by mignon View Post
After 257 lbs. beef, I think I've finally created my Michelangelo of a meatloaf incorporating the wisdom showered on me during my culinary odyssey. .....Thank you all.
Congratuations mignon!! There's no better feeling than that of accomplishment ....
DaveSoMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 06:09 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire
one recipe i use over and over is lemon lover's meatloaf. pretty much basic meat loaf using lemon juice as liquid. make a topping katsup , allspice and dry mustard and put on top.

slice lemon in very thing slices and lay on top of meatloaf. have made a circle shapped on in a pie plate. was orginally a micro wave recipe but i do in the oven most of the time. either way it is delicous.

"life isn't about how to survive the storm but how to dance in the rain"
babetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 11:08 PM   #40
Executive Chef
Originally Posted by QSis View Post
Oh for the love of ......

MIGNON, please acknowledge Buckytom's ground turkey suggestion!!!!

hysterically giggling woman here
stop it, I can't take this anymore......hahahahhahahahah

I thought I was posting this to the right thread, but I did it in another thread. Here it is again though just in case you need more help

...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote