Meatloaf, Oh Meatloaf, where art thou?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh for the love of ......

MIGNON, please acknowledge Buckytom's ground turkey suggestion!!!!

Sheesh!

Lee

there is a meat loaf on line. think it is cheeseburger meat loaf. ole blue's recipe i think.

went over very well with guests. loved the way it sliced. put in a loaf pan.

babe:chef::chef:

I form my meatloaf in a loaf pan then turn it out onto a flat pan. I cook it at 400 F and it gets a nice crust on 5 of its 6 sides.

I use 85% chuck.

Consider adding either worcestershire sauc eor soy sauce to enhance the flavor. Add some thyme. Add some grated romano cheese and a pinch of cayenne, not for heat so much as an added background flavor.

Regardless of what Buckytom says, never use turkey.

Some time ago on Public TV Cooks Illustrated had a perfect recipe for meat loaf. I have tried it and it is good but a lot of fussing around. here is my fave recipe for meat loaf
Meat loaf ***

3 TBL butter
.3/4 cup finely minced onion
½ cup finely minced carrots.
.1/4 cup minced celery
.1/4 cup diced green pepper
.1/4 cup diced red bell pepper _ if you can find, or use green pepper)
2 tsp minced garlic
3 eggs well beaten
.1/2 cup ketchup
.1/2 cup ½ and ½
1 tsp ground cumin
.1/2 tsp nutmeg (ground)
.1/4 cayenne pepper
Salt and pepper to taste
2# lean ground beef ( 80%lean)
12 ounces ground sausage
.3/4 cup fine fresh bread crumbs
1 melt butter in a heavy skillet, then add onions carrots, celery, bell peppers, and garlic.. Cook stirring often.untill the moisture from the veggies has evaporated, about 10 minutes. Set aside to cool then cover and refrigerate until chilled

2 in a mixing bowl beat together the eggs, ketchup, .1/2 and 1/2 , cumin, nutmeg, cayenne, salt and pepper. Add the ground beef, sausage, and the bread crumbs. Then add the chilled veggies, and mix thoroughly with your hands kneding for 5 minutes
pre heat oven to 350*F.
Form the mixture into a loaf approximately 12x5x2.1/2 inches on a baking sheet. Bake until cooked through or 160*F on a fast meat thermometer {instant read} about one hour let set for 20-30 minutes before slicing

Serves 8

Last edited:
Yes, Dave, the recipe I use is similar to an older CI recipe, but I don't use the "classic" meatloaf mix they recommend, and I think they use cracker crumbs. I started using oatmeal about 20 years ago, when I was out of breadcrumbs. CI has had others since, but I like this one best.

Sheesh!

Lee

Please help me out here, I feel overwhelmed. Is it bad form not to reply to every comment? I'm supposing that to avoid elongating a thread unnecessarily, one addresses the most relevant comments. Have I been rude to Buckytom? If so, I apologize.

I haven't yet mastered all procedures. I'm still trying to figure out how to lift one sentence from a response to comment on, for example. Each time I click "Quote" I get the whole nine yards.

Last edited:
You are not being rude. Bucky was being a little silly repeating his suggestion. It is certainly aceptable to thank relevant contributors.

To quote part of a post, click on QUOTE as you have. Then, in the new window, delete the parts of the thread you don't want and respond to what is left. Be sure to replace each deleted part with an elipsis (...) to signal to all readers that you are extracting a portion of a longer post.

The basic mixture is a matter of taste. I've made meatloaf with several different recipes but I always cook it the same way; I line a loaf pan with plastuc wrap and use the pan to form my loaf,then turn the loaf out onto a pyrex baking dish and bake at 400 degrees.

Please help me out here, I feel overwhelmed. Is it bad form not to reply to every comment? I'm supposing that to avoid elongating a thread unnecessarily, one addresses the most relevant comments. Have I been rude to Buckytom? If so, I apologize. .

you weren't being rude, mignon, so no apology necessary at all.

i was serious in my first 2 suggestions, though, about ground turkey. (the rest was just comedy, or "silliness").
it would help with the leaking fat problem. so the relevance is in the eye of the beer holder.

I take care not to overmix the mix; use oatmeat as filler; use Heinz 57 sauce, ketchup, and S&P; then I line a loaf pan with parchment paper and use it as a mold. I turn it out and back it freestanding, no loaf pan. The excess grease can run onto the pan/out of the loaf, but so long as you use a bit of oatmeal as filler and 85% lean or so burger your loaf should be fine. And, obviously, lots of onions and a bit of garlic is necessary.

The crucial secret? When it's halfway done, slather the top with lots of ketchup!:chef:

GG - How was the weekend trip to the Eastern Shore??? Any good food adventures?

After 257 lbs. beef, I think I've finally created my Michelangelo of a meatloaf incorporating the wisdom showered on me during my culinary odyssey. I put aside the toe dancing and concentrated on basics figuring that if I could make a decent basic meatloaf now, I could do the arabesques later.

The first thing I did right was dump my fancy, two piece meatloaf pan and go free form. The next thing I did right, to achieve a nice crust, was to give my loaf 15 minutes under the broiler at the end. Further, I couldn't believe it, but the oatmeal worked fine — I used half a cup [to 1.5 lb. chuck] of the old fashioned variety and bothered to cook it first. I also sautéed the onion, garlic, and bell pepper until very soft before incorporating into the mix. I winced as I added the half cup of milk (I hate milk), but it made the mix mixable. My only show of creativity (for me) was a quarter teaspoon of cayenne and a modest amount of ketchup to coat the loaf. After 55 minutes, the thermometer read 155 degrees, so I pulled that lovely mound of beef out of the oven and let it cool for around a half hour.

I don't think you experts would jump up and down cheer for the result, but it was the best meatloaf I ever made. I thought the taste was very good, although I may have packed it a little too tight. (At this rate, I may open a meatloaf salon next year.)

Thank you all.

Thanks for the update. I'm glad you got a product you like. Now it's up to you to experiment with different seasonings, meats, etc. to compile a host of different meatloaf recipes.

LOW CARB/LOW FAT MEAT LOAF
1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 cup oatmeal
½ onion, diced
½ bell pepper, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 garlic cloves, pressed
2 eggs
1 Tbs oregano
½ cup tomato sauce
1 Tbs olive oil

Sauté onion, bell pepper, and celery in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and continue to sauté until onions are transparent. Add tomato sauce and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes or more. Allow sauce to cool to room temperature.

Whisk eggs in a large bowl. Add ground beef, ground turkey breast, and oregano to bowl, mix thoroughly, then add sauce to bowl and combine. Pat tightly into Pyrex loaf pan, then turn out onto a broiler pan. Bake in 375F oven for 1 hour. Makes 8 servings.

Total protein per serving – 17.0g
Total carbs per serving – 3.5g
Total fat per serving – 9.0g

After 257 lbs. beef, I think I've finally created my Michelangelo of a meatloaf incorporating the wisdom showered on me during my culinary odyssey. .....Thank you all.

Congratuations mignon!! :clap: There's no better feeling than that of accomplishment ....

one recipe i use over and over is lemon lover's meatloaf. pretty much basic meat loaf using lemon juice as liquid. make a topping katsup , allspice and dry mustard and put on top.

slice lemon in very thing slices and lay on top of meatloaf. have made a circle shapped on in a pie plate. was orginally a micro wave recipe but i do in the oven most of the time. either way it is delicous.

babe:chef::chef:

Sheesh!

Lee
hysterically giggling woman here:LOL::LOL::LOL:
stop it, I can't take this anymore......hahahahhahahahah:-p

I thought I was posting this to the right thread, but I did it in another thread. Here it is again though just in case you need more help

Back
Top Bottom