"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 04-15-2015, 06:09 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Mini Meat Loaves

Randy loves it when I make these. Except he calls this recipe by a different name that makes me crazy: Meat Muffins. Really!? Guys, please tell me that Randy is wrong. I prefer Mini Meat Loaves. Who's right? I know, loaded question.

I'll be making these when my brother Joe is visiting, as it is one of his faves, too. He also calls them Meat Muffins. I think he does that to annoy Big Sis. He's very good at that - and we're both in our mid-40's...

I like to serve the Mini Meat Loaves with any variety of pasta, and I'll often combine ground meats to achieve a wonderful taste. My favorite is to use half ground turkey and half ground beef. You could use any ground meat you enjoy. Just remember if you use Bison to add more fat.

I don't have any pictures, as these disappear so fast after they're put on the table. On the rare event we have leftovers, Randy likes to slice the "muffin" in half and make sandwiches and use any leftover pasta sauce to make an open faced sandwich.

Mini Meat Loaves
Serving: Serves: 3

INGREDIENTS: 3/4 pound ground turkey breast, ground beef, or ground meat of your choice
1 small onion, finely chopped
1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce, divided
1 egg
3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons Italian-flavored bread crumbs
1 teaspoon Italian seasoning

DIRECTIONS:

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 6-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, onion, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/3 cup spaghetti sauce, the egg, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and Italian seasoning; mix well. Divide the mixture equally among the muffin cups.
3. Brush the tops with the remaining 2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until no pink remains in the meat. Serve immediately

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Maybe if you didn't bake them in a muffin tin, you'd have a chance eliminating the muffin reference. You could use mini loaf pans.

Old 04-15-2015, 07:07 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Oh, Andy, I've certainly tried to use another tin. Randy will only eat the meat loves if they're cooked in a muffin tin so that he could use that infernal name.

Every year on his birthday he absolutely has to have them. All of our male friends ask for them when coming over for dinner parties. They all know that the name annoys me, and they delight in asking for it.

It has become a "thing" now. I did see some mini loaf tins at the local Kroger last month and slipped them into the cart while Randy wasn't looking. He caught me and took them out. I will always call them "Mini Meatloaves" though.

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs
should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein
Maelinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2015, 08:06 PM   #4
Executive Chef

If I were to say I'm with Randy, I can already feel that imaginary kick in the shins under the table. Then I would have to look across the table and say What did I say? Since I didn't actually say anything, I will admit I might have thought it though, No kicks please. I will say I always call them Individual Meatloaves. If I heard the term Mini Meatloaves, it makes me think of Mini Cupcake pans, and then they would be bite size and you might as well make meatballs and skip having to scrub a baking pan altogether. Now there's a time saver.

I think the Only reason to make meatloaf is so there are Leftovers for Meat Loaf Sandwiches. If you can make more by making Mini Meatloaves, well, sweeeet!

I like to serve meat loaf hot for dinner with Baked 'taters. There's all that extra shelf space in the oven. I know a lot of people like to serve ML with Mashed. Never understood that, ML doesn't really produce good gravy, or I dont' make it good. And if you serve mashed taters, then you need to serve Corn alongside to mix a little on your fork. And I like to serve Green Beans with my meatloaf, so mashed screws up my menu preference.

I bake my meatloaf in a round pie pan, easier to scrub out with no Corners like a bread pan size. (Can you tell I don't like washing dishes?) They sell tin foil individual meat loaf/ mini bread pans at the grocers. Along side, they also sell little pans to make twice baked potatoes. I never understood that, but then, they will try to sell you anything and I always thought that is what the potato shells are for. However, you could use those and then you would have a more Oval shape and Randy couldn't name those and they really would be mini meatloaves.
Old 04-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

If you really hate the term. Stop making them until everyone promises to stop calling the muffins. If it's just a fun tease, embrace it and start calling them meatloaf cupcakes and serve them frosted with mashed potatoes.

If they see you are not bothered by the name, they'll back off because that takes the fun out of teasing you.
Old 04-15-2015, 11:04 PM   #6
Master Chef

I use a Nordic Ware bundt pan similar to this one that makes 6 mini loaves. I use twice the meat that you do, and freeze two or four of the six mini meatloaves for other meals. Himself has never thought to call them muffins. If he did, I would use the Andy Plan below.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If you really hate the term. Stop making them until everyone promises to stop calling the muffins...
Threatening works!
Old 04-16-2015, 12:49 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
If you really hate the term. Stop making them until everyone promises to stop calling the muffins. If it's just a fun tease, embrace it and start calling them meatloaf cupcakes and serve them frosted with mashed potatoes.

If they see you are not bothered by the name, they'll back off because that takes the fun out of teasing you.
I agree and I think calling them meatloaf cupcakes is inspired. I think you won the internet today Andy.
Old 04-16-2015, 08:22 AM   #8
Head Chef

Quote:

I think it was one of those Food Network "Best Ever" episodes that spotlighted a place that makes all different kinds of meatloaves in the giant muffin tins and "frosts" them with the accompaniments. One was just a plain meatloaf like the OP, but they also had Thanksgiving dinner turkey meatloaves, salmon meatloaf with wasabi mashed potato frosting, a latin style one, BBQ, etc, etc. Some of them were really pretty and you would think they were actually a cupcake at first look.

And +3 on the way you suggested handling it.
Old 04-16-2015, 03:30 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Buy yourself one of these and if he asks tell him its for making mini quick breads (I make banana breads in mine all the time because they're easier to pack in a lunch).

Then make meat loaves in it and if he doesn't like it, tell him if he's going to act like a child he can just go to bed without supper.
Old 04-16-2015, 04:10 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I agree and I think calling them meatloaf cupcakes is inspired. I think you won the internet today Andy.
Ditto here. You could even bake them in the cupcake wrappers. Get the Reynold's aluminum ones. They won't know what they are getting until they unwrap them.

Tags
bread crumbs, ground beef, meat, mozzarella cheese, onion, pasta sauce, recipe

Mini Meat Loaves Randy loves it when I make these. Except he calls this recipe by a different name that makes me crazy: Meat Muffins. :ohmy: Really!? Guys, please tell me that Randy is wrong. I prefer Mini Meat Loaves. Who's right? I know, loaded question. I'll be making these when my brother Joe is visiting, as it is one of his faves, too. He also calls them Meat Muffins. I think he does that to annoy Big Sis. He's very good at that - and we're both in our mid-40's... :lol: I like to serve the Mini Meat Loaves with any variety of pasta, and I'll often combine ground meats to achieve a wonderful taste. My favorite is to use half ground turkey and half ground beef. You could use any ground meat you enjoy. Just remember if you use Bison to add more fat. I don't have any pictures, as these disappear so fast after they're put on the table. On the rare event we have leftovers, Randy likes to slice the "muffin" in half and make sandwiches and use any leftover pasta sauce to make an open faced sandwich. [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=5]Mini Meat Loaves[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3] Serving: Serves: 3[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=2][B]INGREDIENTS:[/B][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3] 3/4 pound ground turkey breast, ground beef, or ground meat of your choice[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3] 1 small onion, finely chopped [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3] 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded mozzarella cheese, divided[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3] 1/3 cup plus 2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce, divided [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3] 1 egg [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3] 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3] 2 tablespoons Italian-flavored bread crumbs[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3]1 teaspoon Italian seasoning [/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=2][B]DIRECTIONS:[/B][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3] [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3]1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Coat a 6-cup muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3]2. In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, onion, 3/4 cup mozzarella cheese, 1/3 cup spaghetti sauce, the egg, Parmesan cheese, bread crumbs, and Italian seasoning; mix well. Divide the mixture equally among the muffin cups. [/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Arial, sans-serif][SIZE=3]3. Brush the tops with the remaining 2 tablespoons spaghetti sauce and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup mozzarella cheese. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until no pink remains in the meat. Serve immediately[/SIZE][/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews