Ms Mofet's Hot dogs with tomato & onions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
Ms Mofet's Hot dogs with tomato & onions

Approximately 5 servings

Ingredients

• 1 lb Hot dogs (≈ 16 oz)(*See note below)
  • 1 large onion (≈ 1 cup / ≈ 8 oz)
  • 1 stick butter (≈ 4 oz)
  • 1 (6 oz) can tomato paste
  • 1 cup water (≈ 8 oz)
  • 1/2 cup burgundy wine (≈ 4 oz)
  • Ground peppercorns
  • Ground red pepper flakes
  • Sea salt - ONLY if necessary
Preparation

1. Slice hot dogs into thin coins
  2. Slice onions thin
  3. Place butter, onions & hot dogs in pan
  4. Sauté till the hot dogs puff up and onions are soft
  5. Add tomato paste and stir well to break up paste
  6. Add water and wine; stir well
  7. Bring to boil for 2 minutes; lower to a simmer for 10 minutes or until flavor melds and hot dogs take on the other flavors.
  8. Taste and season with ground peppercorns, ground red pepper flakes (salt if needed)
Serve in a bowl with crusty bread to dip or over pasta (pictured below).

*Note: I used Nathan's skinless bigger than the bun beef franks.

img_1080224_0_12e37775ad4f7e76bf1114da3df3a3ae.jpg

Tomato paste, water and wine... I knew the sauce was very simple.
Thanks. I'll be making this tonight. You can't have enough uses for hot dogs, lol.

Tomato paste, water and wine... I knew the sauce was very simple.
Thanks. I'll be making this tonight. You can't have enough uses for hot dogs, lol.
You are welcome. Just let me know what you think.

This makes abount 4 - 5 servings so you can half the recipe or freeze half for later. If you half it you can take the other dogs and split them half way through longways (not all the way), stuff with cheese and completely wrap with bacon to the seal the cheese in and grill or fry them. :pig:

+1, What a simple and yummy looking recipe, msmofet!
You are always so full of surprises!
This is on my menu for supper this evening!:chef::yum::yum::yum::pig:
Thank you Tim.

My mom and grandma made this with bologna sliced into strips and fried. I like it with hot dogs but it is basically the same flavor. You can sub bologna if you like.

Thank you Tim.

My mom and grandma made this with bologna sliced into strips and fried. I like it with hot dogs but it is basically the same flavor. You can sub bologna if you like.

I have a package of beef stew meat in the freezer that I'm going to try this with. I'll brown the meat first in the butter and then follow your recipe. I think it'll turn out well!

I have a package of beef stew meat in the freezer that I'm going to try this with. I'll brown the meat first in the butter and then follow your recipe. I think it'll turn out well!
You will have to simmer that stew beef in broth and wine first till tender and maybe shred it before adding the tomato and use the simmering broth (instead of the water) and wine. Otherwise the meat will be tough. I have done this for a nice meat sauce (with bottom round instead ofr ground beef or stew meat) but I add fresh garlic also.

I buy bottom round when on sale and cube for stew, soup, kabobs etc. I used to use stew beef but found for the price I was getting a lot of fat, grizzle and the other tough parts of the beef.

Thank you Tim.

Funny you should mention bologna.
I love ring bologna sandwiches; fried or cold, mustard or mayo... just love the stuff. And just the other day, as I was looking at those hot dogs in my fridge, I was tempted to slice one up on white bread with mayo, but I just couldn't bring myself to eat a hot dog with mayo :wacko: And really, especially since I buy Smiths for both, they are probably the exact same meat mixture.

Anyway, I just got back from picking up my burgundy ;)

Funny you should mention bologna.
I love ring bologna sandwiches; fried or cold, mustard or mayo... just love the stuff. And just the other day, as I was looking at those hot dogs in my fridge, I was tempted to slice one up on white bread with mayo, but I just couldn't bring myself to eat a hot dog with mayo :wacko: And really, especially since I buy Smiths for both, they are probably the exact same meat mixture.

Anyway, I just got back from picking up my burgundy ;)
Burgundy is my red cooking wine of choice. I use it in just about everything. I buy burgundy by the gallon. :blink::ohmy::LOL:

Burgundy is my red cooking wine of choice. I use it in just about everything. I buy burgundy by the gallon. :blink::ohmy::LOL:

I figured you bought it by the gallon... or the box ;)
:LOL:

Apparently it's not a big seller here. The guy at the state store had to call his boss to find me some. And they only had two kinds. I have never cooked with burgundy. Vermouth fills my white needs and port, tawney port or marsala my red.

But does it all end up in the food? :LOL::wacko::wacko::wacko:
I don't drink it or any other alcohol (hub doesn't approve long story) at home.

Every now and then when not home I do have 1 glass of white Zin.

Dad would really love this, and it looks "puree-able" so that is a bonus! Will try this soon for him! Thanks, Ms M!

Dad would really love this, and it looks "puree-able" so that is a bonus! Will try this soon for him! Thanks, Ms M!
Thank you and you're welcome LP. Let me know if he likes it.

msmofet do you know where your family got this recipe?

I had never heard of it until an Italian friend told me that his Grandmother made it when times were tough and meat was in short supply during the Depression. They also used fried salami and bologna in place of bacon for the same reason. I was skeptical the first time I had it but, I became a convert quickly.

msmofet do you know where your family got this recipe?

I had never heard of it until an Italian friend told me that his Grandmother made it when times were tough and meat was in short supply during the Depression. They also used fried salami and bologna in place of bacon for the same reason. I was skeptical the first time I had it but, I became a convert quickly.
Not sure but mom loved it and used fried bologna and no wine and served it just with bread to dip. We had it a lot when I was a kid and money was tight. I started using hot dogs serving it over pasta.

Not sure but mom loved it and used fried bologna and no wine and served it just with bread to dip. We had it a lot when I was a kid and money was tight. I started using hot dogs serving it over pasta.

It is good with a can of drained cannellini beans added. Sort of an Italian take on franks and beans.:pig:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom