"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 10-15-2004, 07:12 PM   #11
Moved on

I have no experience smoking meat. Apparently, I was wrong saying to smoke after cooking. Here is one of the recipes that I based mine on:

http://www.aaa-recipes.com/beefbrisk...brisket18.html

The corned beef that I buy is already salty.

Old 10-16-2004, 09:47 PM   #12
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Brooksy Send a message via Skype™ to Brooksy
Quote:
Originally Posted by aruzinsky
I based mine on:

http://www.aaa-recipes.com/beefbrisk...brisket18.html

The corned beef that I buy is already salty.
If you pump the meat the pickling stage can be reduced to a week.

As well as brisket, a silverside roast corns beautifully too, but pumping is essential.

I never thought to smoke a brisket before cooking. Definitely a plus!

Thanks for the post, both recipes duly filed, & we have a corned brisket in the freezer for next week. All I need to do is get some hickory wood from down the road without being caught for the smoking.

Old 10-17-2004, 01:03 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
The recipe clearly states "smoking" so you weren't wrong at all. I have never ever even heard of smoking a corned beef brisket. May give it a try though!!!

WayneT - a smoked brisket is excellent - but you said you have a corned brisket you are going to smoke - PLEASE let us know how it turns out!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2004, 11:42 AM   #14
Moved on

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
The recipe clearly states "smoking" so you weren't wrong at all. I have never ever even heard of smoking a corned beef brisket. May give it a try though!!!

WayneT - a smoked brisket is excellent - but you said you have a corned brisket you are going to smoke - PLEASE let us know how it turns out!!!
No, I meant that I was wrong about smoking after cooking. There are other recipes that don't smoke it and I got confused about when to smoke it. However, all the commercial pastrami that I have tried has a light smoked flavor in addition to the spices.
Old 10-17-2004, 08:20 PM   #15
Master Chef

Smoke the brisket before or use liquid smoke flavoring in the cooking broth. Both sound great. What I wanted to say about this thread is thank you for posting your recipe. It looks great. And I have to give you kudos for you photography as well. I took photos of my own cooking for several self-published cookbooks I've written (burn them on CD-ROM and sell them). Out of literally hundreds of photos, few were good enough to give a real idea of how good the foods really looked. But some came out very good. I use a digital camera and so can take countless pictures at very low cost. My only thing is that I insist that the photos not be retouched as I want the customer to know they can get identical results.

Again, great photos and great recipe. This one I have to try.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2006, 07:31 PM   #16
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksy
If you pump the meat the pickling stage can be reduced to a week.
Pump the meat? Could someone explain to a novice? Never heard of that.

I love deli pastrami bought at the grocer, so if I like that, a home made recipe would be to die for.

Pastrami is spiced corned beef essentially? The initial recipe sounds great and will likely be tried for sure. Anyone with a recipe for pastrami from the gound up, meaning an uncooked, unseasoned chunk of briskit? Outside of the Emeril recipe, which I do have.

Also, can you freeze the finished product? If so, for how long?
Old 10-04-2006, 08:36 PM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerco
That sounds awesome. What would you recommend if one wanted to smoke it? Perform the steps as written then smoke some more, or would you perhaps boil a soak ( I notice there's no salt in your recipe) with those spices and let the corned beef soak in it overnight to be smoked the next day?
I just did a search on pastrami, to see if any of you guys have smoked corned beef before. I found a thread from a couple of years ago.

Andy, Gretchen, and other BBQ'ers, have you tried making your own, the easy way?

I smoke a couple a year on my Weber Smokey Mountain - just did two corned beef points this past weekend (I believe in fatty pastrami, thus the corned beef points, not the flats).

Soaked the store-bought corned beefs in water for an hour or two, changing the water several times, to get off some of the surface salt. Season either with the seasoning packet that comes with the corned beef, or use a rub of pepper, coriander seeds, garlic powder, pickling spices and whatever else you want.

Put the corned beefs on the smoker, with whatever wood chunks you have (I used hickory and maple). Smoke at about 225-250 for four to five hours, or until the internal meat temp is 160. Chill the meat well before slicing.

Slice cold meat PAPER thin. To reheat, steam in a steamer basket for just about 3 minutes. Pile onto bulkie rolls or rye bread with some good mustard!

SOOOOO good!

Lee
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Homemade pastrami.JPG
Views:	277
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	2032  
Old 10-04-2006, 09:19 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Qsis!!!! That's just mean posting a beautiful picture like that! That looks absolutely awesome! I've never smoked corned beef - might have to try in the very near future - maybe for a tailgating event.

So, will the wrapped meat actually say corned beef POINTS? Or do I look for something in particular in the way it looks.?

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:46 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...So, will the wrapped meat actually say corned beef POINTS? Or do I look for something in particular in the way it looks.?
KE:

Corned beef is usually sold as two different parts. The flat cut is considered the better of the two as it has less fat. The point cut is less expensive and fattier. If you bought a whole brisket and cut in into two pieces, you'd have one of each.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:02 AM   #20
Head Chef

Quote:
So, will the wrapped meat actually say corned beef POINTS?
Yes, kitchen, it will say "point cut" or "flat cut" on the meat label.

Lee

Tags
None