My kingdom for a meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I could easily live with your Betty Crocker recipe except for the 1 cup of milk. That much milk staggers me! I make my meat loaf in one pan with holes in it that fits into an outer pan. That cup of milk would probably drain out the bottom taking all the seasoning with it. Does your loaf stay together with all that liquid?

While I don't want a leftover slab of marble for sandwiches, neither do I want leftover meatloaf that stay together. Speaking of marble, I once made a meatloaf that was so firm, it took two of us to slice it.

I make my meatloaf in a stone meatloaf-shaped pan, then I pour off the drippings from the meat. I suppose some of the milk might be there, but it's pretty firm when I put it in the pan, and it holds together beautifully after baking:

Attachments

• meatloaf.jpg
    meatloaf.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 284
I will most definately second babe's suggestion...
The bacon cheseburger meatloaf Andy is making is absolutely the BEST!

The bacon cheeseburger recipe was a big hit!

It went together well. Not complicated at all and it tasted great.

I've never used a recipe for meatloaf, and always made it differently each time and hubby had no complaints, he would say something if it was not tasty.

My dear lady, should you ever become disenchanted with your incredibly compliant "hubby," please let me know — I'll propose marriage in two seconds.

...Take out the mushrooms and substitute Worcester for Soy and this recipe fulfills all my stipulations...

I'm confused.

You said your meatloaf, which you make with a certain combination of ingredients, does not please you. Then you want to go back to that same list of ingredients when someone offers a recipe that differs.

Perhaps you should consider a different combination of ingredients to find a meatloaf that doesn't make you wince.

If the stipulated list is the only option, just experiment with different quantities of the stipulated ingredients until you get what you want.

:) I like the meat loaf recipe in The Joy of Cooking. I make the recipe but I don't make a whole loaf I make oval shaped patties about 10 ounces put the on a pan lined with wax or parchment paper then freeze when frozen I take them off pan and and put them in a ziploc. That way we can have meatloaf any time just take out thaw and bake 20-25 minutes no chance of drying out. To make them smaller like that you need to saute onions let cool and then add to mix as they wont have enough time to cook as they would in a big loaf I also like to saute with some fine diced carrots all well. Since we have a ton of Bison I don't buy very much meat at the store. At first it was lacking some flavor so now I add some Falafel mix in to the meat it works great with turkey meat loaf as well. I find I don't need as many eggs as the recipe calls for either.

I'm confused.

You said your meatloaf, which you make with a certain combination of ingredients, does not please you. Then you want to go back to that same list of ingredients when someone offers a recipe that differs.

Perhaps you should consider a different combination of ingredients to find a meatloaf that doesn't make you wince.

Your post forced me to re-examine my views and to ultimately conclude you are right. I seem to have an unconscious notion of what should be in a meatloaf and every time I make a meatloaf with only a slight shuffle of ingredients, I get the same unhappy result (hasn't it been said that to keep repeating a behavior and expecting different results, is insanity?).

When I see an ingredient that seems odd to me, I reject the whole recipe. I know now that either I must forget about making a meatloaf, or give proven recipes a chance. Incidentally, as an example of why I flunk as a cook: at one time, I thought wine should be an ingredient of meatloaf. It took awhile for me to discover that I didn't like wine in meatloaf, but I kept trying to improve the meatloaf without rejecting the wine!

I've gotten a great collection of recipes thanks to this form. I intend to methodically and meticulously try each one and go from there.

I'm the same way to a degree mignon. I have gotten used to my meatloaf the way I make it. I, however, am pleased with the recipe I have. BUT, with all this talk of Ol' Blue's recipe I might have to make that one. I don't like bacon on burgers so I am curious as to how it will be in this meatloaf. I think it overpowers things. BUT, I will make it as Ol' Blue has written it 'cause I know all these people that have made it have EXCELLENT taste in food!!!!!

mignon, Your issues with coming up wiith a great meatloaf recipe are not uncommon. That you recognize it is a great step forward. You deserve credit for wanting to improve!

Test the effect of a certain ingredient buy preparing a meatloaf recipe leaving out that ingredient and spliy the loaf in half. Mix the ingredient to be tested into one half of the mix and bake them side by side. You can then do a taste test and compare. Keep notes on what you did so you can repeat it once you find it.

Good luck.

...I don't like bacon on burgers so I am curious as to how it will be in this meatloaf. I think it overpowers things...

...and I don't like cheese on bugers. Neither ingredient is overpowering in this recipe. I used a jelly roll pan lined with wax paper to spread the meat out, topped it with the cheese and bacon and used the paper to help roll the loaf.

I am thinking smoked paprika and/or black olives may be good additions to this recipe.

For years I tried in vain to make a meatloaf as good as my mother's (she used the Betty Crocker recipe), until I discovered that she used ground chuck. I've found it definitely makes a difference. You also don't want to add so much other stuff that it masks the flavor of the meat.

One thing I do differently that the rest of you all is that I add crushed saltine crackers instead of bread or breadcrumbs. Then I add mustard, catsup, an egg or two, salt and pepper and a little Worcester sauce.
I like to form the loaf and put it in a baking dish instead of a loaf pan as the outside browns nicely and the grease drains away from the loaf. (If you use ground chuck, you won't have that much grease.)
Also, remember your meatloaf will continue to cook after you take it out of the oven, so don't overcook it. When you take it out, cover it loosely with foil and let it stand before you slice it.

I love meatloaf, & love fooling around with all sorts - "Mexican", "Italian", "Basic Plain", etc. Since hubby isn't a red-meat eater, all mine are poultry based, but I'm sure whatever meat combination you prefer would work just as well.

There are quite a few variations out there for this particular combo, I'm sure, but this is one I've spent a lot of time tweaking over the years, & this is probably the best & final version - lol! I'm sure the small amount of milk could easily be left out without any harm, especially if beef, veal, &/or pork were used. I always like to add a little milk or cream because ground poultry can become dry in the amount of time this takes to cook.

BREEZY MEDITERRANEAN TURKEY MEATLOAF

Approx. ½-3/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, roughly chopped
1 medium fresh tomato, cut into bite-size pieces – OR - 1/4 cup sun-dried tomatoes, rehydrated dried or in oil, chopped
1 bunch or bag fresh spinach – OR - approx. ½ a bag frozen chopped spinach
¼ cup chopped onions
Approx. ½- ¾ cup crumbled feta cheese
One egg, beaten
One package (usually 1 to 1-1/3 pounds) ground turkey
1 cup quick or old fashioned rolled oats - uncooked
Approx. 1 tsp granulated garlic or garlic powder
Approx. 1 tsp dried oregano
Approx. 1/2 tsp dried Italian seasonings
Approx. 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
1/2 cup milk (any fat content) or ½ & ½

1. Preheat oven to 400° F
2. In small skillet, cook spinach & onion over medium heat until spinach is wilted (or thawed) & onion is tender, but not browned.
3. Remove from heat & allow to cool slightly.
4. When spinach/onion mixture is cool, stir in feta cheese; set aside.
5. In a large bowl, combine beaten egg, turkey, oats, garlic powder, oregano, Italian seasonings, red pepper flakes, milk, chopped olives, and tomato. Mix lightly but thoroughly. (Your very clean hands are the best tool for this.)
6. Place 1/2 of turkey mixture into 9X6 loaf pan.
7. Layer on spinach/cheese mixture.
8. Top with remaining turkey mixture to completely cover spinach filling.
9. Bake 40-45 minutes or so, or until internal temp registers around 170 -180 degrees with a meat thermometer.
10. Let stand 5-10 minutes before slicing.

This recipe doubles nicely, which is handy since it also freezes very well (in fact, I have some individually-wrapped slices in the freezer right now). If doubling, free-form the loaf in a large ceramic loaf pan, baking dish, or rimmed baking sheet, as it won’t fit in a regular loaf pan.​

Your post forced me to re-examine my views and to ultimately conclude you are right. I seem to have an unconscious notion of what should be in a meatloaf and every time I make a meatloaf with only a slight shuffle of ingredients, I get the same unhappy result (hasn't it been said that to keep repeating a behavior and expecting different results, is insanity?).

When I see an ingredient that seems odd to me, I reject the whole recipe. I know now that either I must forget about making a meatloaf, or give proven recipes a chance. Incidentally, as an example of why I flunk as a cook: at one time, I thought wine should be an ingredient of meatloaf. It took awhile for me to discover that I didn't like wine in meatloaf, but I kept trying to improve the meatloaf without rejecting the wine!

I've gotten a great collection of recipes thanks to this form. I intend to methodically and meticulously try each one and go from there.

Hey, and since we've talked you into trying some new things with the meatloaf how about adding a bit of cream or half and half to it too :LOL:

Oh, & I should add that with all the gazillions of meatloaf recipes I've tried over the years, I've never come across one that called for wine being mixed in. In a sauce or gravy for a meatloaf, yes. In the meatloaf itself, no.

In my opinion - & I definitely could be wrong here - both eggs & milk help to moisturize & bind the meat. Adding wine, to me, would just make it watery. Flavored watery, but watery nonetheless.

Oh, & I should add that with all the gazillions of meatloaf recipes I've tried over the years, I've never come across one that called for wine being mixed in. In a sauce or gravy for a meatloaf, yes. In the meatloaf itself, no.

In my opinion - & I definitely could be wrong here - both eggs & milk help to moisturize & bind the meat. Adding wine, to me, would just make it watery. Flavored watery, but watery nonetheless.

I think he misread the directions Breezy - they said "add wine to the meatloaf MAKER...not add wine when you MAKE the meatloaf :LOL:

I think Meatloaf recipes are as personal a thing as say chili or lasagana recipes. Everyone has their favorite. Mine is plain and simple:
1 1/2 lb ground chuck
"a good handful" of bread crumbs
1 egg
1/2 small grated onion
salt and pepper

Mix well but do not over mix. Form into a loaf shape on a rimed baking dish and bake at 350 degrees until done.

I deglaze the pan and use the drippings to make a gravy.

:) Mignon, that was supposed be a joke not an insult to you. This place is crawling with comedians.;)

I prostrate myself with apologies. My adventures here have made me too sensitive. While I can make a passable cup of tea and toast, I previously had no idea how ignorant I was in a kitchen. Please restore me to your good graces.

Back
Top Bottom