My kingdom for a meatloaf

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mignon

Cook
It looks like I'm doomed to eat mediocre meatloaf all my life, and unhappily, I love meatloaf. I can never seem to cook myself a meatloaf that doesn't make me wince. I've scoured the Internet for Tips, but nothing I've found was relevant. I'm not looking for anything exotic, sensational, innovative, or spectacular — all I want is a simple basic recipe that has onions, garlic, bell peppers, bread, egg or eggs, 1.5 lbs. of meat, and maybe a little wine (no milk), herbs or spices, worcester, and ketchup. That should taste good right? Not when I'm the cook.

I bought a special contrivance that consists of an inner pan with holes in it that fits into an outer pan that catches what falls through the holes. Is it possible that the best part of my meatloaf is going through those holes?

mignon said:
It looks like I'm doomed to eat mediocre meatloaf all my life, and unhappily, I love meatloaf. I can never seem to cook myself a meatloaf that doesn't make me wince.

Have you eaten one, that someone else cooked, that didn't make you wince???

I'm going to try this one tonight. I'll let you know.

Holy mackerel, that's a meatloaf for a Chinese Emperor. While it defies all my stipulations regarding simplicity, I'm a man with an open mind. If you give it a go-ahead, I will take the plunge.

Here's a standard type recipe that includes a lot of what you want.

Meat Loaf

1 Onion
2-3 Garlic
⅓-½ Green Bell Pepper
4 Mushrooms
½ tsp Thyme, dry
¼ C Parsley (2 Tb dry)
C Romano Cheese, grated
2 Lb Ground Beef (85-88% lean) - see note
½ Tb Salt
tsp Black Pepper
C Bread Crumbs
1 Ea Egg
¼ C Ketchup
1 Tb Soy Sauce
tsp Cayenne Pepper

Preheat the oven to 350º F.

Place the first seven ingredients into a food processor and process until almost pureed.

Place the meat in a large mixing bowl; add the vegetable mixture from the food processor and the remaining ingredients.

Thoroughly combine the ingredients.

Pack the mixture into a loaf pan to shape the meat.

Cover a sheet pan with foil or parchment paper.

Invert the loaf pan onto the sheet pan and unmold the meat loaf.

Insert a thermometer probe into the center of the loaf and set to 155º F.

Bake until the set temperature is achieved, about 1 hour and 15 minutes.

Remove the meat from the oven and rest it, covered, for 10-15 minutes before slicing.

Note: You may use a combination of ground beef, pork, veal or lamb.

Wow! I'm making out like a bandit so far. Take out the mushrooms and substitute Worcester for Soy and this recipe fulfills all my stipulations. The first recipe provided sounds great but might be fancier than my pay grade warrants. I have the feeling I'm going to be inviting a lot of friends over to help me eat this one tonight. However, I'm a little afraid of the mushrooms, I never learned how to work with them.

Milk does offer a lot of moisture. I don't like green peppers in my meatloaf - too overpowering. Italian breadcrumbs and grated/freshly shredded Parmesan cheese also is good in it, Worcestershire, garlic, salt, and pepper, of course! A mixture of pork, beef, and veal (>) is my favorite combination. The secret is GENTLY mixing!

Here's my take on Meatloaf:

2-1/2 pounds lean ground beef
4 slices bread, torn into small pieces
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 celery ribs, finely chopped
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 tablespoons dried parsley
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 teaspoons dry mustard
1 tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 cup ketchup
1 tablespoon kosher salt (or 2 teaspoons of table salt)
2 teaspoons pepper
1 egg, slightly beaten

For Topping:

1/2 cup ketchup
1 teaspoon dry mustard
2 tablespoon brown sugar

Mix all ingredients (except topping ingredients) together. You're gonna have to use your hands to get it mixed up good.
Shape into a loaf and place on a sheet pan (for easy clean-up, line the pan with heavy duty tin foil). Mix together ketchup and brown sugar and spread on top.
Bake at 375 degrees F for 1 hour or until done.

I"m with elf on the green peppers but you can always add them. :)

Attachments

• meatloaf-slice.jpg
    meatloaf-slice.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 188
Sarah Moulton of Food TV had a wonderful meatloaf recipe. Hopefully I haven't misplaced it.....if I find it, I'll post it, otherwise, look for it under her name, I guess.

Sarah Moulton of Food TV had a wonderful meatloaf recipe. Hopefully I haven't misplaced it.....if I find it, I'll post it, otherwise, look for it under her name, I guess.

I found these under her name at Food TV - if any of these is it you can link it. Don't forget we can't post a copyrighted recipe - sorry :ermm::chef:

Kitchenelf:

You've inadvertently established the reason why it's so hard to find a pleasing meatloaf recipe. There are so many possible ingredients that finding a winning combination isn't easy. You don't care for green peppers — I can't imagine a meatloaf without bell peppers. To be sure they're properly cooked, I saute the peppers, onions, and garlic in a skillet until almost cooked through before incorporating them into the meat mixture.

I believe I can profit from your secret of GENTLY mixing the ingredients. I never could make up my mind to use implements or my hands. I have baked meat-loaves that were really too dense to be palatable.

Yep - the perfect meatloaf has it in what you love. As far as gentle handling I even go so far as to put all the ingredients in a center well (the outside of course being the meat and that is also dotted around with the various meats). I gently fold with hands from the outside to the middle while rotating the bowl. I also don't form a loaf - I place chunks of meat in my 9 x 9 clay casserole dish. This seems to keep it nice and light!

Whatever you do I hope it turns out wonderful!!! I also prefer a portobello mushroom bourbon gravy. I think why I went this somewhat "fancier" route is exactly because of the trouble you are having. Mine just never really turned out. BUT, if someone else made it it was awesome! :LOL: :(

EDITED TO SAY: I've changed my mind 4 times on what I'm having for supper tonight - I guess it's going to be meatloaf along with everyone else. Since I don't want to spend $50 on my groceries I'm going to go with a simple recipe with the tomato/vinegar type glaze on top - wish me luck!

Last edited:
Have you eaten one, that someone else cooked, that didn't make you wince???

Yes, many times. My ex-wife would get apoplectic if I asked about recipes — she regarded it a personal insult because it implied she wasn't a great cook (which assuredly she wasn't). I ate a great meatloaf in a dump of an eatery in New York City while on the road years ago and when I asked the owner about it, he thought I was insulting him and started cursing.

I've had a tough life as you can see.

Here's my take on Meatloaf: :)

Mama mia what a meatloaf!

It looks like I'll be testing meatloaf for months — I hope readers are taking advantage of these terrific recipes. I must say however, I'm sorry you, like ELF don't like bell peppers either — I'm beginning to feel like a freak

mignon said:
Yes, many times.

Maybe you could return to one of those times/places/people in search for your "Holy Grail" of meatloaf recipes and methodology....Also, I often times don't enjoy a dish the day I prepare it...to many smells, to many little tasting along, etc. Try making your meat loaf...refrigerate it...cook it the next day. The flavors will mix, and your olfactory senses will have cleared...You may be surprised at what you have created....

Have Fun, and Enjoy!

This should keep you busy for years ;) Here's mine.

I could easily live with your Betty Crocker recipe except for the 1 cup of milk. That much milk staggers me! I make my meat loaf in one pan with holes in it that fits into an outer pan. That cup of milk would probably drain out the bottom taking all the seasoning with it. Does your loaf stay together with all that liquid?

While I don't want a leftover slab of marble for sandwiches, neither do I want leftover meatloaf that stay together. Speaking of marble, I once made a meatloaf that was so firm, it took two of us to slice it.

OK, is the no milk stipulation a religious one or just a preference? My suggestion is that you soak some bread crumbs or cubes in milk, season them and then gently fold that in with your meat mixture. I'm not a fan of ketchup on top of mine either as I much prefer gravy but hey, to each his own. I think the soaked bread will solve your texture problems. If I am not mistaken mostly what you are looking for is a texture fix as you seem to know what flavours you want in your meatloaf yes?

I've never used a recipe for meatloaf, and always made it differently each time and hubby had no complaints, he would say something if it was not tasty.

Back
Top Bottom