Old recipes on those 3x5 cards - bust 'em out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Paprika's

I have 3 paprika's - Plain - smoked - and Hot Spanish

May I assume the regular type at the grocer's as plain is the sweet paprika referred to?

May I assume the regular type at the grocer's as plain is the sweet paprika referred to?

That was true in the old days, but I'm sure there are other options in the grocer's now. It's been so long since I've bought spices in the grocery store, I'm really just guessing.

I get paprika from a specialty spice store now (Savory Spice Shop), and the sweet Hungarian is nothing like the Plain old stuff in the grocery store. I also try to keep hot and smoked on hand as well. I use it a lot in meat rubs.

When it comes right down to it, chili powder is basically Mexican paprika... It's just ground mild chiles with a few spices added.

I have pancake recipe I have yet to make, it fried in a thumb joint of butter and lard...

I grew up in NE Ohio and fondly remember Isaly's chip chop ham and especially skyscraper ice cream cones, scooped with an elongated dipper that made the dipped ice cream come to a point. SNL's conehead people always reminded me of those Isaly treats.

Back
Top Bottom