"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2018, 08:18 PM   #1
Sous Chef

Old recipes on those 3x5 cards - bust 'em out

Wife dug this old recipe card for me to cook tonight (had the neighbor over). It's labeled "Jessie's BBQ Isaly's Recipe". Jessie is a friend from 30 years ago. I could barely read the card it was so yellowed.

Pound of Isaly's chopped ham (have deli cut it super thin -- almost transparent) or another brand of chopped ham
jar of chili sauce
half cup of brown sugar
quarter cup vinegar
teaspoon yellow mustard

Combine all the ingredients except the ham in a pan and bring to a slight boil, then turn down the heat and let the sauce thicken for about 20 minutes, then add the ham (break it into small pieces as you drop into the sauce. Then heat thoroughly about another 5 minutes. Serve on fresh buns with a pickle on the side.

This Isaly's chopped ham is super popular around here in NE Ohio. I think they had a chain of delis/convenience stores as well as their meats. It was a treat to get one of these sandwiches and ice cream. Wife remembers going there as a kid a lot. I am from out west, so I didn't grow up with this. The Isaly's stores are closed but they still sell the meat.

The sandwiches are delicious. Yummy.

I guess this was the official recipe for this sandwich. But they are very similar.

Old 03-15-2018, 11:16 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_1138 View Post
Wife dug this old recipe card for me to cook tonight (had the neighbor over). It's labeled "Jessie's BBQ Isaly's Recipe". Jessie is a friend from 30 years ago. I could barely read the card it was so yellowed.

Pound of Isaly's chopped ham (have deli cut it super thin -- almost transparent) or another brand of chopped ham
jar of chili sauce
half cup of brown sugar
quarter cup vinegar
teaspoon yellow mustard

Combine all the ingredients except the ham in a pan and bring to a slight boil, then turn down the heat and let the sauce thicken for about 20 minutes, then add the ham (break it into small pieces as you drop into the sauce. Then heat thoroughly about another 5 minutes. Serve on fresh buns with a pickle on the side.

This Isaly's chopped ham is super popular around here in NE Ohio. I think they had a chain of delis/convenience stores as well as their meats. It was a treat to get one of these sandwiches and ice cream. Wife remembers going there as a kid a lot. I am from out west, so I didn't grow up with this. The Isaly's stores are closed but they still sell the meat.

The sandwiches are delicious. Yummy.

I guess this was the official recipe for this sandwich. But they are very similar.
This is so cool! But adding paprika “for color?” How odd is that (probably not very, but I use paprika, sweet or smoked, for flavor, not color!)?

Old 03-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
This is so cool! But adding paprika “for color?” How odd is that (probably not very, but I use paprika, sweet or smoked, for flavor, not color!)?
Adding paprika to dredging flour to get a richer golden color on fried foods is quite common. A sprinkle on deviled eggs is also mostly for appearance.
Old 03-16-2018, 12:03 PM   #4
Executive Chef

I picked up some fresh (to my spice selection) very finely ground paprika on Amazon. It has amazing color and my other paprika's don't. I use it in choriso and it makes the meat and oil a deep orange/red. I think it has to do with the type of paprika you find/make.

Dh doesn't do hot peppers so I made paprika from grinding pimento peppers which are not hot. It was great but didn't color food as strongly as the stuff I bought.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:04 PM   #5
Head Chef

Homestead Jellied Salad

too funny!

Last week I came across this in my old recipe box - I looked up the history trying to find "Mixed Vegetable Jelly Powder". As near as I can figure it is from the 50's and 60'sl. Recommend for curious minds to look up the history of
Jell-O. I found it an interesting read.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Homestead Jellied Salad, pg1.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	29451   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homestead Jellied Salad, pg2.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	49.3 KB
ID:	29452  

Old 03-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

JD, I also love exploring old recipes, and I have many from my family. I've posted this remarkable website before but you may not have seen it. If you really want to get lost in a rabbit hole of old recipes, check it out.

RecipeCurio.com

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2018, 02:44 PM   #7
Head Chef

I recently re-wrote down my recipes on 3x5 index cards, then had them laminated at Office Depot. I don't have 100, more like 10. Over the years they'd gotten stuff on them.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:48 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

When one of my uncles passed away a few years ago, I was tasked with going to his apartment in Brooklyn to empty it out. While it was a bittersweet job, I was happy to find my aunt's (who had passed back in the 70s) old binder full of recipes: some clipped from magazines, some scribbled on index cards, and some beaurifully handwritten full pages as well.

I had hoped to find some really old family recipes from Ireland, Norway, and Scotland.

It was when I got home and finally got to look at a lot of the contents of the binder to find that most of the recipes were shortcut type instructions using canned this, and processed mixes of that. It was like it was written by Campbells, Knorr, and Best Foods/CPC.

When I asked my mom about Aunt Betty's cookbooks, she laughed and said that it was typical of the nuclear age family of the 50s and 60s, and Aunt Betty was not known for her culinary expertise.

So much for family heirlooms and handed down knowledge, although I will always cherish the memories of what a great aunt and uncle they were.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:48 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

My family didn't know what a written recipe was. As much as my mom was a great cook, she hated to cook. If you wanted to learn a recipe, you watched her make it.

Mom taught my older sister her recipes. Sis taught me. Some I worked out on my own and with the help of some Armenian cookbooks.
Old 03-16-2018, 09:00 PM   #10
Executive Chef

My mom was in a charity organization ( and still is), and to raise money back in the day ( in the 70's), each member would give one of their favorite recipes. They then made a cookbook filled with a recipe from each member ( or whoever decided to contribute). I was young at the time, so I didn't really appreciate it much, but now when I look at it, I see lists of recipes from family members and old family friends ( many of whom are no longer with us). So not only is it a trip down memory lane, its almost like a snapshot of that time in my life.

Tags
isaly's chopped ham, lb., recipe, recipes

Old recipes on those 3x5 cards - bust 'em out Wife dug this old recipe card for me to cook tonight (had the neighbor over). It's labeled "Jessie's BBQ Isaly's Recipe". Jessie is a friend from 30 years ago. I could barely read the card it was so yellowed. Pound of Isaly's chopped ham (have deli cut it super thin -- almost transparent) or another brand of chopped ham jar of chili sauce half cup of brown sugar quarter cup vinegar teaspoon yellow mustard Combine all the ingredients except the ham in a pan and bring to a slight boil, then turn down the heat and let the sauce thicken for about 20 minutes, then add the ham (break it into small pieces as you drop into the sauce. Then heat thoroughly about another 5 minutes. Serve on fresh buns with a pickle on the side. [IMG]https://www.oakmontdeli.com/images/stories/content-images/chipham.jpg[/IMG] This Isaly's chopped ham is super popular around here in NE Ohio. I think they had a chain of delis/convenience stores as well as their meats. It was a treat to get one of these sandwiches and ice cream. Wife remembers going there as a kid a lot. I am from out west, so I didn't grow up with this. The Isaly's stores are closed but they still sell the meat. The sandwiches are delicious. Yummy. [IMG]https://yinzerella.files.wordpress.com/2014/11/isaly-ham-bbq.jpg?resize=420%2C236[/IMG] I guess this was the official recipe for this sandwich. But they are very similar. 3 stars 1 reviews