Oxtails, advice/help, please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
mm ox tails is the most tasty meat going! Best to have it with a stew cooking for hours!

Welcome to Discuss Cooking! I agree with you.

Oxtails are rather delicious slow cooked. I have another in the freezer--and I'm looking forward to getting some parsnips to go with them.

OXTAIL:

@ Blissful,

Cool post. Interesting.

*** IN SPAIN: a bull is a toro AND weigh 500 kilos

and cattle are = ganado or buey !

Very popular in Andalusia, Spain ...

*** RABO DE TORO = a bull stew ( sort of an Ossobucco with onion, garlic, white wine, tomato, carrot, celery, NOT too many potatoes in the pot --- the same items as a beef stew ) ... In Spain they use white wine or Sherry and cook stove top, SIMMER SLOW COOKING ...
MELT IN YOUR MOUTH HEAVEN !!!

Ox tail soup

Kind regards.
Margi.

Last edited:
Yesterday, I wathed a Barefoot Contessa show, and she made oxtail soup with barley. It was essentially a beef vergetable soup and she browned the oxtails well, then added her veggies and 10 cups of beef broth from a can. When the osup was finished she removed the oxtails and set them aside. She did not leave them in the soup? What would you have done with them?

Yesterday, I wathed a Barefoot Contessa show, and she made oxtail soup with barley. It was essentially a beef vergetable soup and she browned the oxtails well, then added her veggies and 10 cups of beef broth from a can. When the osup was finished she removed the oxtails and set them aside. She did not leave them in the soup? What would you have done with them?

The obvious answer is I would have eaten them. :LOL:

Although she may have set them aside, I can't imagine not striping the succulent meat off the bone to include it in the soup! I enjoy mine included whole, but then I wouldn't want the sight of me eating them on youtube. :ermm:

The online version of the recipe says to serve the soup with or without the oxtails.

I can't imagine leaving all that delicious meat behind.

I've seen her do weird things in other recipes and don't watch her show or use her recipes as a result.

Oxtails used to be one of those delicacies that only poor people ate. We had oxtail soup a lot (basically oxtails, water, tomatoes, onions, potatoes, carrots, barley, and whatever vegetables we had on hand). We always said, in our family, that rich people didn't know what they were missing! :mrgreen: Then some rich people got a taste of them, and they suddenly became a gourmet food and most of us can no longer afford them unless there is a good sale!

Traditional Andalusian Ox Tail Stew Recipe

:chef: Good Afternoon,

Firstly, thanks so much for the interesting post and feedback.

Of course, we realise that RABO DE TORO is quite a bit different in Andalusia, Spain than it is in the USA ... The animal is a special Bull ( not an Ox or Water Buffalo nor considered cattle) and has been bred for centuries for strength and weight ( 500 kilos plus ).

This slow cooked simmered for hours dish is prepared with the following ingredients :

1.5 Kilos of Oxtails or Andalusian Bulls´ tails
2 ounces all purpose flour
salt and black pepper
parsley
Smoked chili pepper from La Vera called Pimentón Dulce ( sweet )
2 large carrots
2 small potatoes
4 cloves minced garlic
4 large tomatoes red, ripe and juicy
2 tsps. tomato paste ( jar if available in your region verses can )
6 fl. oz. Sherry from Designation of Origin Jeréz de La Frontera
1 bay leaf
1 tsp. thyme
1 tsp. rosemary

*** COOKING TIME: 3 hours slow cooking stove top
*** Note: Sauté meat in dredged flour and shake off excess.

Kind regards and look forward to hear about your melt in your mouth lunch.

Margi Cintrano. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom