"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 01-08-2012, 07:47 PM   #1
Head Chef

Oxtails, advice/help, please.

I was just given ox tails, are these really from an ox? I dropped off a spare computer at a girlfriend's house and she gave me ox tails. What do I make with them? (oh gosh, it turns out I bartered and just didn't realize I was getting ox tails!) Anything you make with them tried and true, I only have this one chance.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
They're most likely from beef of some form. I get mine at a local butcher. Whatever they are, they're delicious. Quite flavorful and very rich.

One of my favorite ways to prepare them is to make soup out of them. The recipe in the link I'm sending you to is one I've had for too many years to count and it's always a winner with anyone who has eaten it.

Old 01-08-2012, 08:09 PM   #3
Master Chef

Given where you live, it is most likely beef (if you were in Europe or Asia, it might really be ox). Put them on a baking sheet along with carrots, onions, celery, some garlic cloves, and sprinkle with S&P, thyme. Spray or brush with some olive oil or butter. Bake at about 350 until they turn brown (all of it). This will make your house smell wonderful. I cannot tell you how long it will take, just go with the flow. Turn things once in awhile. Then slide them all into a stock pot and cover with water. Add a bay leaf or two, lots of ground black pepper. If the "ox" tail is in one piece, take a big knife and see if you can separate the sections (think a poultry back or neck) before putting in the water to get the most protein into your stock. Then bring to a boil, turn down to a simmer, and let it cook all day. Strain. You now have the most wonderful beef stock in the world. You can make soups and stews, or just have a hearty cup of it (especially good if you or someone in your household is feeling puny). great base for French onion soup, for bouef bourgonion, add a dollop of tomato paste at the end of the cooking to sweeten and thicken it a bit.

It is an all-day thing, but you'll have some of the best stock for many purposes.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:11 PM   #4
Master Chef

Or, alternatively, if you live in south western Wisconsin, give them to me! LOL!
Old 01-08-2012, 08:36 PM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Or, alternatively, if you live in south western Wisconsin, give them to me! LOL!
Ha ha.
What great suggestions both of you.
Her father raises beef so I'm going think they are cow tails......errr ox tails.
I'll give a try at cooking them.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:42 PM   #6
Master Chef

Bliss, in my opinion you were gifted with just about the most flavorful part of of beef!! I'm jealous as they sell for a fortune IF you can find them.

If you go to the search function here at DC, and type in Ox tails you will find loads of entries about them.

Lucky you!!

Let us know what you do with them! I LOVE Ox tail stew!!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Love Ox-tail soup! Makes the best Beef and Barley soup, IMHO. Katie's recipe looks divine.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:20 AM   #8
Assistant Cook

Real easy. Just brown in batches in Worcestershire and or low sodium soy sauce. Once done add onions garlic thyme salt and pep . Once you cook those down add the meat back and two- three cups-beef or chick broth and simmer med to med low for 2 hrs and the meat will fall from the bone. Serve over rice and peas.... But that's another lesson.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:21 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Oh and Oxtails are cows tails but sound better.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Love Ox-tail soup! Makes the best Beef and Barley soup, IMHO. Katie's recipe looks divine.
Trust me, it is and it's worthy of serving to the most discerning company. And...don't be tempted to leave the parsnips out. Big mistake. They add another fantastic level of flavor.

Oh, crap. Now I want oxtail soup.

Tags
None