Parmesan in meatballs question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pacanis

Chef Extraordinaire
I've never meade meatballs. I am going to use a recipe I found online that merely says; "grated parmesan cheese". It gets mixed in with the meat and other ingredients.
I picked up the "green can" thinking it would almost be a waste to use fresh PR. And I do intend to use the Kraft container. Just to let you know ;)

So, which kind of cheese do you think they were actually calling for and..... obviously the stuff in the can is going to measure differently that freshly grated cheese. How does 1/4c of one compare to 1/4c of the other? Without the recipe stating which one they are calling for, or even using the word "freshly", which would definitely lean towards NOT using the green can, how is one to know?

Thanks

I'd go with a packed 1/4 cup measure. I like a lot of cheese.

You can also use pecorino romano.

I think we are going to have to set up a Parmegiano Reggiano intervention soon.

Go ahead and use 1/4 cup. Grated cheese (as opposed to shredded) will measure up close to the same, IMO.

Real* parmesan cheese will taste stronger than the can, so you could maybe use more, but not much or it will affect the texture of the meatballs.

*Sorry, but I don't consider it real, even.

I always use the "green can" for my meatballs. LOL I barely use 1/4 cup in my meatballs for about 1-1/2 lb. ground meat plus the other things. I don't know what the different measures would be.

Barb

You should be fine following the recipe ... usually in meatballs we use the finely grated parmigiano and romano from the deli counter or butcher whatever so it should "equal" the can stuff in density/moisture content

Grated vs shredded.... very good point jennyema. Because if I used my parm regg (which I do have Andy, lol), it would be microplaned, which comes out like finely shredded. Unless I maybe stuck it in the freezer for a short while like LC said she does when using a FP to shred cheese.

I was just kind of wondering. I know Andy gave a rule of thumb between fresh and dried spices, I wasn't sure if there was one between the different gratings or shreddings of cheese.

We're talking meatballs here, not rocket science.

A little more or a little less cheese won't negatively impact the recipe.

I use the stuff in the can for meatballs. Like Andy, I'd use a little extra though just 'cause i like a lot of cheese.

A little more or a little less cheese won't negatively impact the recipe.

Now, now..... What we are talking here is me trying to follow a recipe, not wing it. Amount of cheese, type, moisture content of said cheese....
These are all things that could affect whether I have one sandwich or three :LOL:

I'm with Andy on this. but. The one in the can is almost a powder. It's hard to equate that to freshly grated. I use the meatball recipe from the Sopranos cookbook (ok, stop laughing), and use 1/2 to 3/4 cup grated parmesan, or romano. Pacanis, IMHO, it's never a waste t use the good stuff in meatballs. You will taste the differnce. :)

I wasn't trying to be nasty.

I was just trying to make the point that the exact measure was not important. As with most non-baking recipes, you adjust the amounts according to your personal likes and dislikes. Picture an old Italian grandmother making meatballs. I don't see her using a measuring cup for the cheese, do you?

Rocket Scientists don't use Parm in their rockets. They use Jarlsberg.

I agree with Andy. The measurements are not all that important. Don't even bother dirtying your measuring cup. Just take a handful of cheese and put it in.

Imho, there's no point to using the green can stuff in your meatballs, because it doesn't give the intended flavor. If you don't believe me, taste it alongside some freshly grated Parmesan -- even the stuff that's NOT from Italy -- is head and shoulders better than that sawdust Kraft calls "Parmesan."

I can't imagine any real foodie using that apcray these days. There is too much good stuff out there that does NOT cost your left arm.

I wasn't trying to be nasty.

I was just trying to make the point that the exact measure was not important. As with most non-baking recipes, you adjust the amounts according to your personal likes and dislikes. Picture an old Italian grandmother making meatballs. I don't see her using a measuring cup for the cheese, do you?

I know, just joshin' with ya. But I did kinda want to follow a recipe my first time out with meatballs. Then adjust from there. And I was curious about how you know what they are asking for or how to adjust a measurement from one kind to the next.

Now, if the recipe I found was on the Kraft website, I might already have a good idea which one they want me to use :LOL:

Imho, there's no point to using the green can stuff in your meatballs, because it doesn't give the intended flavor. If you don't believe me, taste it alongside some freshly grated Parmesan -- even the stuff that's NOT from Italy -- is head and shoulders better than that sawdust Kraft calls "Parmesan."

I can't imagine any real foodie using that apcray these days. There is too much good stuff out there that does NOT cost your left arm.
While I do not disagree that there is a world of difference between the green can and "real" parm, I think there is still a place for the green can. I would never buy it myself. I think it tastes pretty poor and I love the taste of the good stuff so I will always go for that. I would rather do without any than use the green can, BUT and here is the big but, there are people who do enjoy the taste of the green can and there is nothing wrong with that. If they enjoy the taste and can get away with spending a significantly less amount of money then more power to them. I just hope that those people at least try the good stuff once to see the difference.

While I do not disagree that there is a world of difference between the green can and "real" parm, I think there is still a place for the green can. I would never buy it myself. I think it tastes pretty poor and I love the taste of the good stuff so I will always go for that. I would rather do without any than use the green can, BUT and here is the big but, there are people who do enjoy the taste of the green can and there is nothing wrong with that. If they enjoy the taste and can get away with spending a significantly less amount of money then more power to them. I just hope that those people at least try the good stuff once to see the difference.

Obviously there are people who llike the stuff, or Kraft wouldn't still be selling it, GB. However, that stuff tastes only of salt, so breadcrumbs would add the same kind of bulk for much less money (and probably less salt as well). I also contend that most of those who "enjoy the taste of the green can" have likely never tasted fresh Parmesan, let alone Parmigiano Reggiano.

By the way -- what DOES the green can taste like? I've only ever tasted the sawdust inside. :ROFLMAO::wacko::ROFLMAO:

I certainly do appreciate the smell of freshly grated Parmiggiano Reggiano.

However, that stuff tastes only of salt, so breadcrumbs would add the same kind of bulk for much less money (and probably less salt as well).
I agree with you. I do not think it tastes of cheese at all. Other people do though, so my point is that for the people who do think it tastes like cheese and not only of salt, more power to them if they want to use it instead of spending more money on a more expensive product.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom