Pot Roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyndalou

Head Chef
I am having friends for a casual meal on Monday night. I have been having them over for the past few years for a pre holiday get together We all travel to family for Christmas, so this gives us a chance for our gift exchange and to wish each other well.

I am thinking of making a crock pot pot roast. If I can't get a chuck roast, would you recommend top round or bottom round as a substitute?
Along with the usual potatoes, onions, and carrots, I'll do a side of green beans with almonds . Mundane, I know, but it frees me up for the evening and they all love comfort food.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.

It really doesn't matter what you get if you are doing it in the crock pot. It will all be yummy.

The top round is definitely more tender than is the bottom round. You could also use a blade roast, Egnlish cut, London Broil, or something from the sirloin area. Brisket is also a good choice for a slow cooker.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I tell ya. My experience with any kind of round has not been good. Stick with chuck or cross rib roasts. Chuck is still the best, though. Most flavorful.

Thanks, guys. My hubby is really looking forward to this meal, so I don't want to disappoint him with tough meat.

Back
Top Bottom