"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 12-17-2007, 11:40 AM   #11
Head Chef

hmmm, I think I will try the skillet method next time. Pity this thread wasn't a bit earlier...
I made spaghetti and meatballs last night!

Old 12-17-2007, 03:04 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to Caine
Microwave. Pyrex 9 x 13 inch dish. 8 meatballs approximately 3 inches in daimeter. 5 minutes first side, turn, 4 minutes on the second side, then let them percolate in the sauce for about 30 minutes. No muss, nof fuss, no splatter to clean up.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:19 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I adhere to the roasting in a broiler pan method. Spray the pan (or brush with oil) put in a pre-heated 400 degree oven and turn them once after 10-12 minutes. Less greasy and wonderful texture.
Old 12-17-2007, 04:42 PM   #14
Head Chef

Lately I have been cooking mine on sheet in the oven. I coat the pan with a little oil. I bake at 450.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:35 PM   #15
Executive Chef

I bake mine in the oven.
Old 12-17-2007, 05:56 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
I bake mine in the oven.
yeah i will usually put mine in the broiler to kinda sear the outside, then either bake them in the oven to finish or cook them in my sauce for a few hours on a low/medium heat depending on how im serving them... never really been a fan of pan frying them.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:09 PM   #17
Senior Cook

I'm in the oven / baking camp. I just do it at 425 for 10-15 minutes. I have found that it is the best method in terms of the ratio of effort to results. It is extremely easy and the meatballs always turn out nicely. That way you can tend to the pasta and make sure it is cooked perfectly (assuming this is for spaghetti & meatballs).
Old 12-18-2007, 04:20 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helcifer View Post
Hi Guys, I'm a newbie who is learning how to cook. Recently I have problem cooking meatballs. When I put the meatballs into the frying pan (which was covered with cooking oil & butter), the balls immediately sticked onto the surface of the pan.

And by the time I tried to roll or move the balls, the surface of the balls peeled off, therefore the shape of the meatballs was ruined.. Was it because the heat was too high? I notice that the meatball's surface that touched the pan first turned will blackish quickly (a sign of overcooked?).

Does anyone have any ideas to solve this problem?

Thanks! =)
Easy. Don't cook them in the frying pan. I've been cooking meat balls for 20 plus years shows my age unfortunately, but it's been burned into my head don't cook them in the frying pan because they'll get burned every time.

In order to get a correct consistency, place them in a pre-heated oven at 400 for 10 minutes. This can also depend on the type of oven you have as times may differ. (A very important issue to make note of) Of course it's going to depend on the size meat ball you are making. When I make mine, they are on the large size because I want the meat and spices to be tasted. I would say the size is approximately 1-1/2" to 2" in diameter. I don't use anything to help me measure the meat, it is all done by feel and visual since I've been doing it for so long.

Wish you the best in locating what you need! Happy cooking!!
Old 12-18-2007, 09:12 AM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

When I make meatballs, its usually to go with tomato sauce. I brown them in a pan but don't try to cook them through. In the pan I give them a nice crust all around then toss them into the sauce to finish cooking and flavoring the sauce.
Old 12-18-2007, 09:24 AM   #20
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When I make meatballs, its usually to go with tomato sauce. I brown them in a pan but don't try to cook them through. In the pan I give them a nice crust all around then toss them into the sauce to finish cooking and flavoring the sauce.
yeah if you're making the meatballs with sauce/pasta cooking it in the sauce is definetly the way to go!!!

Tags
None