"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 12-18-2007, 09:26 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When I make meatballs, its usually to go with tomato sauce. I brown them in a pan but don't try to cook them through. In the pan I give them a nice crust all around then toss them into the sauce to finish cooking and flavoring the sauce.
How long does that usually take in the sauce?
I usually end up cooking my sausages and ground hamburger pretty much all the way because I don't know how long it would take to finish them in the sauce. I'm probably missing out on a lot of flavoring.

BTW, an old Italian friend of mine once told that the secret of not burning the meatballs in the sauce is to set a smaller pan in the bottom of the sauce pot. Maybe he knew one day I would eventually try making them

Old 12-18-2007, 09:39 AM   #22
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
I usually end up cooking my sausages and ground hamburger pretty much all the way because I don't know how long it would take to finish them in the sauce. I'm probably missing out on a lot of flavoring.

BTW, an old Italian friend of mine once told that the secret of not burning the meatballs in the sauce is to set a smaller pan in the bottom of the sauce pot. Maybe he knew one day I would eventually try making them
it all depends on how you cook your sauce and how thick it is... I simmer my sauce a medium/low flame. after browning the meatballs 2 hours in the sauce cooks it through nicely.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:50 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Two hours!? I can't wait that long to eat
My "sauce" consists of opening a jar, pouring it in the pan, adding stuff to it and heating it through

I would like to try making it from scratch again. I used to when the recipe was on the back of lasagna noodles. I saw Emeril make a simple sauce one time that had me thinking I should make my own, but I'm a man of convenience when it comes to cooking
Usually I feel like making my own sauce again when watching "Good Fellas"....
Old 12-18-2007, 10:12 AM   #24
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:

I make my own sauce and cook it with the meat for 1.5-2 hours.

Your old Italian friend probably had a pot with a thin SS bottom.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:18 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
My "sauce" consists of opening a jar, pouring it in the pan, adding stuff to it and heating it through

I would like to try making it from scratch again. I used to when the recipe was on the back of lasagna noodles. I saw Emeril make a simple sauce one time that had me thinking I should make my own, but I'm a man of convenience when it comes to cooking
I'm in the hospital right now, so I can't check my recipe, but I'm pretty sure my Greek meatballs recipe calls for simmering in the sauce for about 15 minutes. If the meatballs are 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter, they will definitely not need 2 hours to finish cooking.

When I make meatballs for spaghetti, or for an appetizer, I bake them at 400 degrees F for 15-20 minutes. They get a nice brown caramelized crust that is really yummy.

btw, I often doctor up jarred sauce, too. May I suggest that you reverse your method? I saute chopped onions and 1/2 each red and green pepper in olive oil, then add 2 cloves minced garlic for about 30 seconds, then add the sauce. Sauteeing the veggies first brings out the fat-soluble flavors, so it improves the sauce quite a bit. HTH.
Old 12-18-2007, 10:32 AM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
btw, I often doctor up jarred sauce, too. May I suggest that you reverse your method? I saute chopped onions and 1/2 each red and green pepper in olive oil, then add 2 cloves minced garlic for about 30 seconds, then add the sauce. Sauteeing the veggies first brings out the fat-soluble flavors, so it improves the sauce quite a bit. HTH.
That's actually how I do it, in a SS saute pan, but I pretty much cook everything before adding the sauce. I cook the meat then add onions, garlic, mushrooms and whatever seasoning I have a taste for. Sauce goes in last. Maybe I should do my sausage in the oven and the sauce would stick to the pasta better.
I'm getting in the mood for some spagetti
Old 12-18-2007, 11:30 AM   #27
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:

2 hours is nothing, ive had sauces ive cooked for 12 or 14. us italians are crazy like that

well you could always go the psuedo-from scratch way... if not there are some easy recipies... maybe try something like:

2 cans of tomato paste in a large pot. gradually add water and cook it over a high flame stirring constantly until you get the desired thickness of your sauce. usually ill go with 24 to 32 oz of water for 2 cans of tomato paste. then reduce to a simmer

peel about 6 or 8 roma tomatoes... crush them all together in a large bowl and add to the sauce.

Dice an additional 3 or 4 tomtoes and drop them in the sauce as well and simmer for about 20 minutes with an occasional stir....

Next add in all your spices... this really varies to your taste... i swear by fresh herbs but you can still make a great sauce with dry stuff.... some bay leaves or basil, garlic, oregano, garlic salt, some olive oil, salt, etc....

stir it in and give it a taste and adjust seasonings as need be. then add in your meat (pork, veal, meatballs, whatever) and simmer for an addition 1.5 to 2 hours. you'll have a great tasting sauce with little effort other then time and patience.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:38 AM   #28
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Hmmm.... after reading all this, I`m now wondering if I`v been making my meat balls all Wrong?

I add them to the pan after I`v made them and after a little rest time to bind, THEN I turn on the fire very low with the lid on.

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:57 AM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by YT2095 View Post
Hmmm.... after reading all this, I`m now wondering if I`v been making my meat balls all Wrong?

I add them to the pan after I`v made them and after a little rest time to bind, THEN I turn on the fire very low with the lid on.

I'm not sure there's anything wrong with that. My approach is to cook them in the sauce after just a surface browning. If you like, you can cook them through in the pan.

When I make a meat sauce, brown meatballs, sausages and stew beef chunks in a saute pan and toss them all into the sauce to finish cooking and impart some of their flavor to the sauce while they gather up some of the sauce's flavor into the meat.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:06 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
well I do all that in the morning, let them simmer in the sauce for half hour and then turn everything off, then come the end of the day (food time) I just have to re-heat more or less :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None