"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 12-18-2007, 12:30 PM   #31
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
I make them with the home made sauce as well however the reason why I cook them in the oven over the stove is to avoid the oil and the fat.

My Sicillian grandmother taught me how to cook them in the frying pan from the age of 10 with EVOO but I prefer to make them in the oven as they're better for our health and it's less mess.

Of course, it's a personal preference in the end and they can be cooked however one chooses to make them but to me it's actually easier to do it that way as I know they are thoroughly cooked. As I said earlier, since I make my meatballs on the larger size, larger than most in the grocery store, this is an appropriate cooking choice as it works better for me.

Old 12-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #32
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBear View Post
I make them with the home made sauce as well however the reason why I cook them in the oven over the stove is to avoid the oil and the fat.

My Sicillian grandmother taught me how to cook them in the frying pan from the age of 10 with EVOO but I prefer to make them in the oven as they're better for our health and it's less mess.

Of course, it's a personal preference in the end and they can be cooked however one chooses to make them but to me it's actually easier to do it that way as I know they are thoroughly cooked. As I said earlier, since I make my meatballs on the larger size, larger than most in the grocery store, this is an appropriate cooking choice as it works better for me.
im a BIG meatball guy myself.... got any secrets to keep it nice and moist? i usually put some ketchup and cheese in the center and it does the trick well

Old 12-18-2007, 01:19 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to SueBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerseyjay14 View Post
im a BIG meatball guy myself.... got any secrets to keep it nice and moist? i usually put some ketchup and cheese in the center and it does the trick well
I don't use ketchup in mine but Parmesan cheese yes. However what I will do is put a bit of my home made tomato sauce in it instead. The spice of the sauce will help. Something else I will use, if I can get a hold if it, is a small amount of Romano cheese to compliment the Parmesan as they work together quite well. Something else I add into the meat balls is a finely diced onion, as that will enhance the flavor.

As soon as I get the chance, I will sit and write up my family recipe that is used and send it. I've always gone by memory and never taken time to write it down, really bad I know. When my great grandmother passed, she had taken her recipes with her pretty much as unless you were watching no one knew. So now I have something to start working on for a family heirloom.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:24 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Thanks for the sauce recipe JJ14 and looking forward to your meatball recipe SueBear
Old 12-18-2007, 01:38 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to jerseyjay14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SueBear View Post
I don't use ketchup in mine but Parmesan cheese yes. However what I will do is put a bit of my home made tomato sauce in it instead. The spice of the sauce will help. Something else I will use, if I can get a hold if it, is a small amount of Romano cheese to compliment the Parmesan as they work together quite well. Something else I add into the meat balls is a finely diced onion, as that will enhance the flavor.

As soon as I get the chance, I will sit and write up my family recipe that is used and send it. I've always gone by memory and never taken time to write it down, really bad I know. When my great grandmother passed, she had taken her recipes with her pretty much as unless you were watching no one knew. So now I have something to start working on for a family heirloom.
thanks, i'll try substituting the ketchup with some sauce or maybe just a little tomato paste
Old 12-18-2007, 10:56 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

IMHO, the reason to cook meatballs in the sauce is neither to flavor the meatballs nor the sauce, but rather to cook down collagen in the meatballs. At one level, this isn't strictly neccesary. Being made of minced meat, there's no question of their beng tough. Still, cooking down the collagen has an advantage. A plain meatball is tender enough. A well-cooked one is juicy. Therein, the difference.
Old 12-20-2007, 06:49 AM   #37
Assistant Cook

Thanks for the good advice, guys :) Many of you mentioned about using oven to cook the meatballs. Is it the regular microwave ovens that you guys are refering to?

And also, when I heat the meatballs, is it necessary to turn the balls after 10 or 15 minutes under 400 degree F, and repeat heating? Will the 'unturned' side get overcooked? Or can I just leave the meatballs alone & unturned until they fully baked?
Old 12-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #38
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helcifer View Post
Thanks for the good advice, guys :) Many of you mentioned about using oven to cook the meatballs. Is it the regular microwave ovens that you guys are refering to?

And also, when I heat the meatballs, is it necessary to turn the balls after 10 or 15 minutes under 400 degree F, and repeat heating? Will the 'unturned' side get overcooked? Or can I just leave the meatballs alone & unturned until they fully baked?

We are referring to a regular oven, not a microwave. No need to turn over the meatballs.

Tags
None