Prosciutto prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

carnivore

Senior Cook
and i thought beef was expensive...
yesterday i bought a 3 oz package of prosciutto from the deli section in the grocery store--no price on it. It rang up as $6 !
that's $2 an OUNCE, and $32 a pound!
Either i got ripped off, or i need to go back to substituting thinly-sliced 'regular' ham because i can't afford this stuff!

thanks ironchef,
i guess i never thought about it before, but i've always either had prosciutto at a restaurant, or substituted whatever ham i have in the fridge when cooking at home (i love my meat slicer!)
We do have an Italian deli in town, so i'll try going that route next time--thanks for the tip.

The best prices I have found for proscuitto are;
Imported $18.00/lb
Domestic (a sad imitation) $12.00/lb
The one good thing about it is that with the good imported stuff, a little goes a long way.

It's expensive but there are times when nothing else will do. I make a salad with it and it is usually much more expensive than the main dish. :cry: But a little does go a long way - unless you have a 16-year old who makes a sandwich (at least he used a good bread LOL) and said we have to get more of that ham - it makes the best sandwiches :shock:

but alas it DOES make the best sandwiches: prosciutto, fresh mozzarella, oven roasted roma tomatoes, fresh arugula, fresh cracked black pepper, extra virgin olive oil, splash of balsamic vinegar. probably the best sandwich i've ever eaten. had it at a deli near the santa ynez valley after getting toasted off wine. but i remember the sandwich being very good

Oh ironchef - I just made myself a panino for lunch:

Rosemary foccacia
basil/garlic/oil (I made myself so it has LOTS of basil in it)
prosciutto
water-packed mozzarella
roma tomatoes
fresh roasted red peppers
fresh spinach

AND IT WAS YUM! Actually I prefer it on just a good Italian bread but the rosemary was all I had. Next time I WILL roast my roma tomatoes first!!!

I just bought some Parma Proscuitto and it cost me $17 a pound. I only needed a 1/4 pound fro some pizza so that was ok. I love the stuff.

Actaully a good substitute is a salt cured Virgina ham that is not smoked. Just slice it right off the ham.

I've gotta try your version of that sandwich Ironchef! The one I have made for us had proscuitto, fontina, baby spinach and red onion. I will have to make yours now! :D

Yep the stuff is pricey...but worth it. And if you add a little to (three cheese) mac n' cheese its dymanite!
CL

Back
Top Bottom