"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 01-07-2011, 06:48 PM   #11
Executive Chef

Here I go with my Pathology again. When you freeze anything, moisture freezes and forms crystals. These crystals form jagged sharp edges(snoflakes?) and cut into cell walls, thus letting the moisture escape from the cells. So, I don't think that it would matter if it was frozen in water or not, the meat would freeze the same way. You would experience fluid loss when it thaws. When you thaw a steak at home, it will render fluids on the bottom of the plate. If you bring home a fresh, aged piece of meat from the store it will , or shouldn't leak out any fluids.

Old 01-08-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
While the method will probably prevent freezer burn, you will have very wet meat. Meat that has been washed can go off a lot faster than nice dry meat. You would probably be shortening its defrosted shelf life a lot. If I were you, I would experiment with a small piece of inexpensive meat, not big chunks of an expensive tenderloin.
Hey Taxlady.
Do you regularly not rinse all that juice off your meat before you cook it?

Old 01-08-2011, 08:32 PM   #13
Master Chef

I pretty much have to buy my meat from a chain supermarket. The amount of water/blood/liquid isn't necessarily a sign, given that many meat trays have something resembling a sanitary napkin under it to absorb the liquids.

That said, I've never had a problem. Or perhaps I mean almost never. I've bought ground pork that smelled ... phew! And that wasn't here, and it was in several grocery stores across the country over many years. So I simply don't buy ground pork any more! And, no, there wasn't any liquid.
Old 01-09-2011, 05:29 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleitan View Post
Hey Taxlady.
Do you regularly not rinse all that juice off your meat before you cook it?
I usually just wipe it off. If I wash meat, it is right before I cook it.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:23 AM   #15
Senior Cook

I usually go with fresh meat that is refrigerated. I never buy frozen meat. You should always check the date on the package and sometimes I smell it. I think too much flowing liquid from the meat means that it is not properly refrigerated. This means the temperature of the fridge is high and not suitable for the meat.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:01 AM   #16
Executive Chef

I don't want to sound pompous, I buy my meat in a large piece from my local small abattoir, I pay for the fresh killed weight, they then hang it for 36 days. It then losses about 20% of its original weight, this is the fluid you are talking about. I then butcher it myself and pack for the freezer using a vacuum foodsaver. When defrosted it is dry.
Young frozen meat will benifit from the fluid ice crystals expanding inside the meat and breaking up the fibres when you defrost but the taste will be poor.Unfortunately you cannot make a silk purse out of a Sows ear
Old 01-10-2011, 05:40 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
I don't want to sound pompous, I buy my meat in a large piece from my local small abattoir, I pay for the fresh killed weight, they then hang it for 36 days. It then losses about 20% of its original weight, this is the fluid you are talking about. I then butcher it myself and pack for the freezer using a vacuum foodsaver. When defrosted it is dry.
Young frozen meat will benifit from the fluid ice crystals expanding inside the meat and breaking up the fibres when you defrost but the taste will be poor.Unfortunately you cannot make a silk purse out of a Sows ear
Lucky you! Don't know where you live, but the law in Ontario was changed not too long ago re: Beef. It used to be it would age for 21 days, and if you didn't get back to the abattoir, you could stretch that to 26 days. Now the law is 14 days, if we're lucky, we can stretch it to 18 days.
Old 01-10-2011, 06:32 AM   #18
Executive Chef

CWS I live in the UK, there must be a reason for this stupidity?
Old 01-10-2011, 01:22 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
CWS I live in the UK, there must be a reason for this stupidity?
The provincial liberal government.
Old 01-10-2011, 03:01 PM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
The provincial liberal government.
What? You don't like ol' Dalton? lol!
I have experimented with beef in my refrigerator. Eye of round goes on sale here quite a bit so I have taken different pieces and and hung them off my refrigerator racks for weeks to see how they would react. I have let beef hang in there for up to two weeks and stil no bad smell, or nasty growths. As we all know it is the wrapping that seals in the moisture and helps it spoil. Normally, that cut of beef can be fairly tough right out of the package, but after a week or so in the fridge it turns very dark and becomes very tender.

Tags
meat