"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
View Poll Results: What pics of meat would be more appealing to you when shopping for meat online?
Raw (preferred) 12 75.00%
Cooked (preffered) 0 0%
Both equally useful 4 25.00%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-22-2013, 11:52 AM   #11
Master Chef

Site Administrator

I agree with the raw meat pictures.

And if you want to use the second picture clean up the plate. The juices running make it look amateurish.

Old 03-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I agree with the raw. Just look at all of the major chains and other meat specialty shops, etc. that sell meat. In their flyers and other promotions it is always raw. I think they have spent loads of money and done tons of market research that would support that. I think you should borrow a page from their book(not literally).

i ws going to go with raw as a no brainer but a lot of our competitors use cvooked pics only.

Old 03-22-2013, 01:19 PM   #13
Head Chef

The photos on the main page could be cooked.

Then when you get to the page where you order the individual cut those should be raw.
Old 03-22-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
Master Chef

I agree that raw is better when choosing to buy a cut of meat online. If it's an unusual cut that folks may be unfamiliar with preparing then a pic of it "done right" would be good. I also like powerplantop's suggestion of cooked on the home page and raw on the order page. The cooked pics may draw more folks in by stimulating their taste buds. Then when they decide they need some, you show them the quality with the raw pics when they order.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:27 PM   #15
Assistant Cook

Meat photography for online meat store (your opinions wanted) part 2

Hi

Sorry about re-posting, if you have taken part in the previous discussion on this topic please ignore this post.

I made the mistake of influencing the poll by stating my personal preference. So I'm going to ask other people again without posting my personal bias.

I'm working with a local bison meat supplier, free range, grass fed completely hormone free meat.

They're about to take their products online and unsure whether to use cooked photos or raw photos. They'll be sell raw steaks, ground meat, roasts & sausages

Would like your opinions on which pictures would be best suited for a online meat seller

Thanks

Examples from the web (not our own pictures)

Old 03-24-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
Assistant Cook

Hi thanks for the responses.

Appreciate the contribution, I hope I haven't swayed the way you have responded because I showed clear bias in my opening post with regards to preferring raw over cooked.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:21 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

while i still think a picture of raw meat is better, i keep thinking of tommy boy: "i can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but i'd rather take a butcher's word for it." :smile

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:42 AM   #18
Head Chef

I do love the pictures of the cooked (or being cooked) meat. But if I were doing any on-line purchasing I would expect to see the meat raw, just as I would in the butcher shop.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 07:52 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnivROAR View Post
i was going to go with raw as a no brainer but a lot of our competitors use cvooked pics only.
Then, why don't you try something a bit different to stand out from your competition and use both, somehow? Omaha steaks uses mostly cooked. I'm thinking they did some market research..https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&g...GMf6yQHDjIHQAg
Old 03-25-2013, 08:02 AM   #20
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
Then, why don't you try something a bit different to stand out from your competition and use both, somehow? Omaha steaks uses mostly cooked. I'm thinking they did some market research..https://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&g...GMf6yQHDjIHQAg
The grill marks are too perfect, Omaha already has it's market and a large customer base. I think raw would be best for an online business starting out.

Tags
meat, other, pictures