Quick question on meat photography

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What pics of meat would be more appealing to you when shopping for meat online?

• Raw (preferred)

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Cooked (preffered)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both equally useful

Votes: 4 25.0%

• Total voters

carnivROAR

Assistant Cook
Hi

Sorry about coming on the website brand new and asking for help straight away without introduction.

I know it's bad nettiquette but I'm stuck with something.

I'm working with a local bison meat supplier, free range, grass fed completely hormone free meat.

They're about to take their products online and unsure whether to use cooked/prepared photos or raw photos. I personally like the raw pictures as you can see the tenderness of the meat as well as the marbelling, being a meat freak these sorts of details are more attractive to me. OTOH I've seen across the web there are meat sellers who use prepared/cooked photography.

When buying raw meat online, which pics would you much prefer to see at the e-store?

Thanks

sirloin.jpg

sirloinsteak1.jpg

Last edited:
If there is only going to be one picture, it should be raw. A few raw and one cooked would be good. :cool:

Welcome to DC!

Raw meat photos tell you more about the meat than the cooked meat photos. You can see the muscles, marbling and external fat much better to help you judge the meat's quality. That would be my focus on such a site. A couple of pictures of the perfectly cooked end product would be helpful with some cuts.

I agree with the raw. Just look at all of the major chains and other meat specialty shops, etc. that sell meat. In their flyers and other promotions it is always raw. I think they have spent loads of money and done tons of market research that would support that. I think you should borrow a page from their book(not literally:ROFLMAO:).

Last edited:
If the meat is of high quality then I say raw.

If the meat is poor quality then I say cooked, 'sell the sizzle not the steak' :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I agree with the raw meat pictures.

And if you want to use the second picture clean up the plate. The juices running make it look amateurish.

I agree with the raw. Just look at all of the major chains and other meat specialty shops, etc. that sell meat. In their flyers and other promotions it is always raw. I think they have spent loads of money and done tons of market research that would support that. I think you should borrow a page from their book(not literally:ROFLMAO:).

i ws going to go with raw as a no brainer but a lot of our competitors use cvooked pics only.

The photos on the main page could be cooked.

Then when you get to the page where you order the individual cut those should be raw.

I agree that raw is better when choosing to buy a cut of meat online. If it's an unusual cut that folks may be unfamiliar with preparing then a pic of it "done right" would be good. I also like powerplantop's suggestion of cooked on the home page and raw on the order page. The cooked pics may draw more folks in by stimulating their taste buds. Then when they decide they need some, you show them the quality with the raw pics when they order.

Meat photography for online meat store (your opinions wanted) part 2

Hi

Sorry about re-posting, if you have taken part in the previous discussion on this topic please ignore this post.

I made the mistake of influencing the poll by stating my personal preference. So I'm going to ask other people again without posting my personal bias.

I'm working with a local bison meat supplier, free range, grass fed completely hormone free meat.

They're about to take their products online and unsure whether to use cooked photos or raw photos. They'll be sell raw steaks, ground meat, roasts & sausages

Would like your opinions on which pictures would be best suited for a online meat seller

Thanks

Examples from the web (not our own pictures)
sirloin.jpg

sirloinsteak1.jpg

potroastbnls.jpg

roastchuck.jpg

beefsausages.jpg

1487381sausage2.jpg

Last edited:
Hi thanks for the responses.

Appreciate the contribution, I hope I haven't swayed the way you have responded because I showed clear bias in my opening post with regards to preferring raw over cooked.

Last edited by a moderator:
while i still think a picture of raw meat is better, i keep thinking of tommy boy: "i can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking my head up a bull's ass, but i'd rather take a butcher's word for it." :smile

I do love the pictures of the cooked (or being cooked) meat. But if I were doing any on-line purchasing I would expect to see the meat raw, just as I would in the butcher shop.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom