"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Click Here to Login

Old 04-25-2017, 10:18 PM   #1
Head Chef

Redneck Sushi...

I made this a few years ago for a online fun food challenge, and came across a photo today and thought I would share it with the DC gang. It was fun, and actually really tasty.

I call it "Redneck Sushi," because of what is is made from.

Looking at the photo, the meat side is breakfast sausage, and the rice side is cooked white rice. The center is a green jalepeño from my garden stuffed with cheese, and the red garnish is red jalepeño from my garden. The wrapper, that would be seaweed on real sushi, is bacon.

I cooked it on my Weber Kettle, indirect heat.

I do not remember what I made for the dipping sauce. I believe it had apple cider vinegar and some soy sauce. I don't recall what else.

The photoshoot was fun, too. I used a license plate and some "redneck" chopsticks.

If you are looking for a fun and tasty party finger food, this may provide some inspiration.

CD

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RedneckSushi.jpg
Views:	218
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	26735  

Old 04-26-2017, 12:08 AM   #2
Master Chef

That's pretty cool, CD, and "sushi" that I would eat. I'm not the raw fish/sticky rice/seaweed kinda fan. Breakfast sausage and cooked rice? Heck, you had me at bacon. Love the chopsticks, too. I'm much better with needle nose pliers than I could ever be with real chopsticks - I use those pliers frequently when working on crafts. And, once upon a time in the days of carburetors, to get the nut off the top of the "pan" and prop open the choke plate on the butterfly so I could start a fickle car.

"A dream is a festival of lights within your mind."~~~Joan Walsh Anglund
Cooking Goddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:25 AM   #3
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
... And, once upon a time in the days of carburetors, to get the nut off the top of the "pan" and prop open the choke plate on the butterfly so I could start a fickle car.
I had a car I used to have to do that with... LOL - didn't realize it was a common affliction!

Hey Casey! thanks... and sounds delish!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:37 AM   #4
Certified Cake Maniac

CD. that was pretty ingenious! You would have been great at the old Golden Chef Competitions we did on here a few years back. One was a 7/11 challenge where you had to buy everything from a convenience store and make a gourmet 3 course meal and a beverage! There were other fun ones as well. But it was a lot of work and time that many of us didn't have.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 10:49 AM   #5
Head Chef

Thumbs up

Way cool....and lookin tasty...
Old 04-26-2017, 11:47 AM   #6
Wine Guy

Thumbs up

Very creative - I like it!
Old 04-26-2017, 12:17 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Awesome recipe!

But believe it or not, some American sushi joints serve bacon sushi rolls....
Old 04-26-2017, 09:42 PM   #8
Senior Cook

That looks awesome. I may have to do those on the next big holiday cook.
Old 04-26-2017, 11:56 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
And, once upon a time in the days of carburetors, to get the nut off the top of the "pan" and prop open the choke plate on the butterfly so I could start a fickle car.
Wow, that brings back memories. I doubt anyone under 45 years old would know how to do that. My first car, a '73 Impala, would only start if you jammed the carb and pumped the throttle.

Old folks rule!
Old 04-27-2017, 12:27 AM   #10
Senior Cook

And then they drool. heehee.

Tags
recipe, sushi

Redneck Sushi... I made this a few years ago for a online fun food challenge, and came across a photo today and thought I would share it with the DC gang. It was fun, and actually really tasty. I call it "Redneck Sushi," because of what is is made from. Looking at the photo, the meat side is breakfast sausage, and the rice side is cooked white rice. The center is a green jalepeño from my garden stuffed with cheese, and the red garnish is red jalepeño from my garden. The wrapper, that would be seaweed on real sushi, is bacon. I cooked it on my Weber Kettle, indirect heat. I do not remember what I made for the dipping sauce. I believe it had apple cider vinegar and some soy sauce. I don't recall what else. The photoshoot was fun, too. I used a license plate and some "redneck" chopsticks. If you are looking for a fun and tasty party finger food, this may provide some inspiration. CD . 3 stars 1 reviews