Roast Beef Crock Pot Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GB

Chief Eating Officer
My pregnant wife just informed me that she has a craving for roast beef with carrots and potatoes and gravy. I figure this would be a great thing to make in my crock pot. I have never made roast beef before though so I am looking to all my friends here to share their tried and true recipes. Thanks :)

GB, to be honest with you, the crock pot isn't the right way to go. I tried it and it always ends up tasting like pot roast. The crock pot retains too much water from the beef.

If anybody knows how to make it taste like roast beef, I'd sure like to know too.

Shows what I get for assuming things. When my wife told me that is what she wanted I told her it would be a perfect thing to do in the crockpot. Well I am glad I posted this so I could learn something new today. Thanks Psiguyy!!!

OK I am amending this question. Scratch the crock pot part. Anyone have any good non-crock pot recipes for this :LOL:

Thanks again!!!

I cook roast beef in a crock pot all the time. Most people that have eaten it love it, including my husband, the executive chef...I've never been quite sure what the difference IS between pot roast and an oven baked roast.

3 to 4 lbs roast (we like arm or shoulder roast, but chuck works too)
salt to taste
Pepper to taste
bay leaf (2 or 3, to taste)
garlic powder or salt (or garlic from a jar) to taste
4 or 5 Potatoes washed well and sliced in about 3/4 inch pieces
package of baby carrots
1 or 2 onions, sliced

Put potatoes, carrots and part of the onion ON THE BOTTOM OF THE CROCK POT.
Put roast on top of vegtables and season, top with bay leaf and remaining onion. Add 1 cup water.

Cover crock pot and cook on low heat about 8 hours (it will be VERY tender, probably fall apart.

IF you don't want to do it in the crock pot, I basically follow the same directions and bake it in the oven at 350 degrees for about 3 hours (until it is as done as you want it. I happen to like mine pretty well done.) I use a heavy roasting pan with a cover.

Hubby makes gravy from the drippings either way.

Hi GB.

One of the ways we like roast beef in our house is to cook it in foil in the oven. I usually use about a 3-pound piece of chuck roast. (Here it's called English roast.) I use a double thickness of heavy-duty foil and place the beef in the center, then top it with an undiluted can of cream of mushroom soup and somewhere between a half and a whole package of dry onion soup mix. Sometimes I'll want more mushrooms, so I'll drain a 4-ounce can of stems and pieces and add those, too. Seal the whole shebang up and put it in a baking dish or jellyroll pan, just in case it might leak. I bake at 350 F for 2 to 3 hours. The resulting beef is tender and the gravy that "happens" is delicious.

You could do this and roast some carrots and potatoes in a separate dish the last hour or so of the beef's cooking time.

This has been a favorite recipe in my family since I was a young girl. I'm not so young a girl anymore, so it's been around a long time.

And just as I was about to say, "GB, I cannot believe you have never made roast beef" I see that this post is 3 years old!!! You must be fixing that roast for the child now!!

What Ginsher is describing is technically not "roast beef" in my opinion. It IS a pot roast--just as delicious.
A crockpot is a great tool for a braise, like a pot roast. It is not for dry heat roast beef. The cut of meat is different, the technique is different. The result is different. But both are delicious.
GB, find out what your wife wants--a roast beef like a ribeye roast, tenderloin, etc. or a pot roast with gravy, veggies and potatoes.

I am with Ginsherer. Always comes tender. Oven...sometime dry. Prefer
moist and well done.

What is really funny is that last night I just made a crock pot pot roast because my wife was craving something like that. This is kind of spooky!!!

LOL I am thinking it is just because we have all been battling colds and illnesses for the past few weeks. Maybe I better get a test just to be sure though :LOL:

The cook in me screams to give techniques and tips for roasting beef, or better yet, cooking it with maple wood between beds of charcoal. But the Goodweed in me is just enjoying the comraderie right now. And that's all I need to do today.

This is such a great site, and for more than just cooking, and sharing related ideas.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Oh geez I can't remember that far back Marge. I am lucky that I can remember what i made for dinner last night :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom