"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 11-12-2015, 02:43 AM   #21
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
That's only worthwhile if you like the white meat.
Some prefer the healthier aspects of white meat. My wife calls thighs "greasy and disgusting" - won't eat anything but breast and wing - while I'm a dark meat kinda guy. It means that the whole bird gets eaten anyway.

I usually buy my chicken whole and cut it up myself. That way it's less expensive and I get the back pieces for my stock pot.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:01 AM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Some prefer the healthier aspects of white meat. My wife calls thighs "greasy and disgusting" - won't eat anything but breast and wing - while I'm a dark meat kinda guy. It means that the whole bird gets eaten anyway.

I usually buy my chicken whole and cut it up myself. That way it's less expensive and I get the back pieces for my stock pot.
Same thing at my house. I buy whole chicken. Stirling doesn't like anything but breast. I like dark meat and wings. Yup, good stuff for the stock pot in a whole chicken.

Old 11-12-2015, 03:54 AM   #23
Assistant Cook

Hi ,

When you buy pork meat ,it is already injected with brine but it's not actually real salt like table salt ,we talking about "nitrited salt" or pink salt( don't know the english name).

The purpose is to keep moisture like it was said before and it gives a nice clear pink color to the meat. The hidden reason is to sell as much water as possible.... at the meat price! . Be aware that this method is used for poultry cuts and fish fillet!

I' ve had once some meat directly slaughtered buy the farmers themselves and I found out that the meat real color is more grey than pink.

For the other meats , I lightly salt them a while before cooking time to develop a better taste .

It is said that the salt causes the vitamines and nutriment to escape from the meat.

Ok , but....

When you sear the piece of pork or whatever , the salt is already inside and really improves the taste.
In fact , this method is using much less salt which is really healthier....
After years , i didn't find a better solution...

http://so-easycooking.blogspot.com
eranils31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 09:46 AM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by eranils31 View Post
It is said that the salt causes the vitamines and nutriment to escape from the meat.
Hi. I've read quite a bit about food science and chemistry and have never heard that. Where did you hear it?
Old 11-12-2015, 12:37 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Salting before freezing was my question. Never heard of it and in fact I heard many years ago to never season meat before freezing.
What am I missing? Whats the deal? I am humbly asking.
Old 11-12-2015, 12:46 PM   #26
Master Chef

RB, I guess I don't understand why you're so puzzled by hearing something for the first time. There's no mystery. I learn something new nearly every day here. I've been brining pork and freezing it for ages with great results.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 01:04 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Salting before freezing was my question. Never heard of it and in fact I heard many years ago to never season meat before freezing.
There are lots of old ideas about cooking and food storage that have been disproven by careful testing.

Michael Ruhlman suggests salting pork when you bring it home from the store. #1, it will season the meat, #2,it's will help the meat retain moisture, and #3, it will inhibit the growth of bacteria, thus preserving it for a few more days. I would guess the same thing applies with freezing, although the seasoning aspect will stop while it's actually frozen.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:39 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
What GG said.

And, it may have been said in the days before we had proper freezers that freeze to -18C (0F). Saturated salt water freezes at -21.C (-6.0F). Probably it just didn't freeze properly in the old freezer sections of fridges.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:57 PM   #29
Honey Badger

In defense of RB.I didn't know about salting before freezing either.
I've been wondering why myself.Now I know.

My Mother never did it.She didn't like to cook either and let you know it to.

We buy our meats from the local butcher shop.When I place an order it's a usually a $400.00 deal. When I get the pick up call the order is already frozen.By then it's a little late to be doing that.

Tags
salt