Seeking help pan frying lamb arm chops

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kitchengoddess8

Sous Chef
I attempted to pan fry a lamb arm chop and it came out really bad. The chop buckled after cooking it for a few minutes on one side, and then it was impossible to cook it evenly. I'd really like to find a way to pan fry lamb because my broiler is not working properly and I won't be replacing it because I'm moving. I find lamb rib chops easier to pan fry, but they're much more expensive. Any suggestions?

There are several different muscles that make up the arm chop (it's a shoulder chop around here). The connective tissue between the muscles contracts causing the distortion of the chop.

The simplest thing to do is put a press on the meat while it's cooking. If you don't have one handy, metal pie plate with a weight in it would do the trick.

My mom used to make these all the time in a braise with onions, string beans and tomato.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 754
Andy M. said:
There are several different muscles that make up the arm chop (it's a shoulder chop around here). The connective tissue between the muscles contracts causing the distortion of the chop.

The simplest thing to do is put a press on the meat while it's cooking. If you don't have one handy, metal pie plate with a weight in it would do the trick.

My mom used to make these all the time in a braise with onions, string beans and tomato.

Thanks Andy. Which press do you recommend? And how many minutes do you cook the chop on each side?

Won't work, to much "silver skin" on the front shoulder. You must cut away the silver skin or braze it in the oven with a liquid for a few hours! Or pressure cook it with some stock and vegies. A very tough pice of meat that should never be over cooked unless being used in a flavor for sauce "gravy" and cooked for a long time. For flavor I would roast it, then use it for a flavor baste for a finer cut of lamb.I try to stay away from the front shoulder of an animal unless it's from a large anmial.

Thanks Andy. Which press do you recommend? And how many minutes do you cook the chop on each side?

Any press will do, round or rectangular, ridged or flat. As I said, even a pie plate and a canned good will do.

Shoulder chops aren't too thick. Just a couple of minutes per side depending on how much you like it cooked.

Or another way is to make small slits around the outer edge. It will keep the chop from cupping. But the press is a great idea. And they are not expensive.

You can wrap a brick in foil and use that also or on the pie plate. :angel:

Or another way is to make small slits around the outer edge. It will keep the chop from cupping. But the press is a great idea. And they are not expensive.

You can wrap a brick in foil and use that also or on the pie plate. :angel:

+1
I cut slits into the sides too and I have my foil wrapped brick right next to the hammer I nicked from hubby to bash things with :LOL:

Andy M. said:
Any press will do, round or rectangular, ridged or flat. As I said, even a pie plate and a canned good will do.

Shoulder chops aren't too thick. Just a couple of minutes per side depending on how much you like it cooked.

Glad to see this easy solution!

I don't know what Andy would recommend, but I use a number 8 skillet as a press in a number 9 skillet. The small bacon presses don't cover enough to make it worthwhile.

I'm talking cast iron, IMO the only pan for pan frying.

Bigjim68 said:
I don't know what Andy would recommend, but I use a number 8 skillet as a press in a number 9 skillet. The small bacon presses don't cover enough to make it worthwhile.

I wish I could use cast iron pans but they are much too heavy for me. I checked out some of them recently at a cookware store nearby. I'm using a Calphalon grill pan for the lamb.

Bigjim, I enjoy my CI skillets too. They are very useful. However, I wouldn't go so far as to say they are the only pans for frying.

I was tailoring my answers to the OP's situation, knowing she doesn't want CI because of the weight.

Bigjim, I enjoy my CI skillets too. They are very useful. However, I wouldn't go so far as to say they are the only pans for frying.

I was tailoring my answers to the OP's situation, knowing she doesn't want CI because of the weight.

I am with you Andy on this one. I don't own a CI due to the weight. No one answer fits all. When it comes to elderly cooking. so many levels have to be taken into consideration. :angel:

Addie, I no longer cook the elderly. I've found they are too tough and often sour as well. :ohmy:

Are you in cahoots with Son #1? That is something he would say. The two of you have been comparing notes. You forgot about getting seasoning in all the wrinkles. :angel:

Won't work, to much "silver skin" on the front shoulder. You must cut away the silver skin or braze it in the oven with a liquid for a few hours! Or pressure cook it with some stock and vegies. A very tough pice of meat that should never be over cooked unless being used in a flavor for sauce "gravy" and cooked for a long time. For flavor I would roast it, then use it for a flavor baste for a finer cut of lamb.I try to stay away from the front shoulder of an animal unless it's from a large anmial.
That makes sense. I have never had the problem of lamb should chops curling. Maybe the shoulder chops I buy already have the silver skin removed.

Lamb and pork chops are often spoiled by too high heat. Both require rather low heat, compared to a beef steak. Curling is one of the clues.

Andy M. said:

I just bought an Emeril cast iron bacon press. Will that work?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom