"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 11-17-2004, 03:55 PM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

I had never heard of shepherd's pie until I had to eat dormitory food. The version they made was wretched, so I never warmed up to it. Not a big fan of lamb, but if we're eating baby animals, I'll try it with veal.

Old 11-17-2004, 04:33 PM   #22
Senior Cook

It's good with the minced beef :)

Old 11-18-2004, 05:33 PM   #23
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
yay!!!! a real recipe for shepard's pie!!!! i was raised on lamb in my shepard's pie, as the name would suggest, (i mean it's not cowboy pie).

copying this a i type. thanks a bunch ssc...
You're quite welcome, bucky. Let me know what you think of it. I just braised my lamb this morning and the whole house smelled so good!
Old 11-19-2004, 07:06 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Wow Strawberry what a recipe!!!..I make braised lamb shanks a lot during the winter..never thought of shreding them for the pie.
Thanks
Old 11-20-2004, 12:15 AM   #25
Assistant Cook

Suz, ya gotta love Sara Moulton, eh? :)

You're welcome.
Old 11-21-2004, 01:28 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ishbel
Traditionally shepherd's pie is made with minced lamb (hence shepherd!) and if it is made with minced beef it is called cottage pie...
But what if you live in Upper Peninsula Michigan where cottages are called cabins? Would it then be called cabin pie, and if you were really hungry for it, would you have cabin Fever? Yuk, yuik I know, I know. Very bad puns there. But I just couldn't resist.

Seriously though folks, this stuff looks yummy. I have to say though, that I never had shepahrd's pie, or cottage pie until I was an adult. I wasn't very impressed. The potatoes were generally of the instant variety, and the filling was soupy.

But as this dish resembles the famous U.P. pastie, it does hold promise if made correctly. Ufortunately, potatoes are on my "do not eat unless there is no other food available" list as they are so very high in starch, and low in fiber and nutritional value.

Now don't get me wrong, I do know they do have viatamins and minerals (mostly in the skin), but are generally not suitable for diabetics.

I wonder how this general dish would be with a whole wheat pasta on top? Might be interesting.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2004, 01:40 PM   #27
Senior Cook

Well the mashed potatos shouldn't be sloppy and the meat/gravy shouldn't be either! Cooked correctly it's very nice dish :)
Old 11-21-2004, 06:08 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Goodweed of the North...
Hmmm interesting comments re calling it cabin pie - but I supopse that as the dish is British in origin and we call small houses cottages.... well, you get my drift 8)

Instant potato is not something you see very often in the UK - and the meat part should never be sloppy as Leaf Storm says... it should be savoury and a real comfort food for a cold or wet winter's evening!
Old 11-21-2004, 06:14 PM   #29
Master Chef

I was just playing. It will always shephard's or cottage pie. And cabin fever is what you get when it's been such miserably cold weather, that you can't get out of the house for weeks on end, and everybody's getting a bit cranky, and resltless for something to do.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2004, 12:55 AM   #30
Master Chef

Don't know why Bucky but Lamb scares me..........afraid I might let out a big Bahhhhhhhhhhh I just picture that cute little furry thing and I just can't do it. Now Deer..........I'll eat that............looks don't matter there because one of those cute lil bambies jumped out in front of us 6 years ago and totalled my car........eerrrrrrrrr!

Tags
None