"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 11-16-2004, 01:01 PM   #1
Master Chef

Shepherds Pie

Does anyone have a simple recipe for this. I've never made it and thought I might give it a shot.

Old 11-16-2004, 02:07 PM   #2
Senior Cook

I know you'll get some awesome authentic recipe...but I've recently made my version with: ground beef [usually 1#], sauteed with some onion, sliced fresh baby bella mushrooms - stir all together with some frozen baby peas and a jar [yes, flame me here!!!] of roast beef gravy or beef mushroom gravy - into an 8x8" pan and top with mashed potatoes. I usually put some cheese in the potatoes then pop in the oven at 350 till it's all bubbly and the potatoes start to brown. Sprinkle some cheese on top and let that melt.

Hubby likes it as well as the British Tea Room here in town [as long as he hasn't been there in a couple months!!!] and son says I make miracles with meat and potatoes...

Old 11-16-2004, 04:12 PM   #3
Master Chef

thanks JRsTXDeb...sounds simple and good .........hey taking some help from jarred or canned things are pretty common now days so don't worry about it......I am def. a shortcut kind of gal when time is crunched or I'm just being plain lazy .
Old 11-16-2004, 04:42 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I've found a couple of brands that are as good as I can make if I'm not cooking a roast from scratch...and I"ll use those - heck, I'll use about anything if I'm hungry enough!! have been in a couple places where folks 'claimed' to not use any prepared food product....wondering how on earth those folks are growing that much wheat, corn, cows....etc hehehe
Old 11-16-2004, 08:07 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Shepard's Pie

I used to make this years ago. When my kids played soccer I needed a make ahead casserole for dinner that I put into the oven for a half hour.

I brown and drain one pound of ground meat (beef or turkey). I add a jar of gravy to the cooked meat. I put the meat and gravy and a pound of steamed, frozen mixed vegetables in a baking dish. Sometimes I use a square Corning ware dish with a lid - I believe it measures 9 or 10 inches square.

I put a mashed potato crust on top. I boil a couple of potatoes. I take the skins off when cool. I mash the potatoes, add an egg, add 1/4 to 1/2 c. nonfat sour cream to the potatoes. Completely mix the ingredients for the mashed potato crust. Put the mashed potatoes over the meat, gravy and vegetables. You can sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese on the mashed potato crust before baking. (Cheese is optional but does add some flavor.)

Bake covered for 30 minutes at 350. You can serve immediately or let cool. It doesn't matter. This reheats well for a second meal. I've sometimes put everything together in the early morning and then baked it for a half hour at night for dinner and that is fine, too.
Old 11-17-2004, 01:34 AM   #6
Master Chef

thanks everyone...........I'm gonna try my hand at this :)
Old 11-17-2004, 06:57 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Traditionally shepherd's pie is made with minced lamb (hence shepherd!) and if it is made with minced beef it is called cottage pie.

Here's my recipe.

1.5 lb of top quality minced beef (I always buy Aberdeen Angus here in the UK)
2 large onions, peeled, cut in half and then sliced thinly.
2 medium carrots (ptional)
Stock

Fry the onions in a little sunflower oil, until transparent, but not browned. Fry off the mince to brown and allow all the extra fat to be drained out (I know some of the flavour disappears, too!). Add a pint of beef stock, flavoured with a couple of good dashes of Worcester sauce to the mince and onions in a pot on top of the cooker. Add salt/pepper to taste. Allow to cook together for at least an hour/to hour and a half.

In the meantime, boil some potatoes and when cooked, mash with butter and a little milk.

Put the mince mixture in the bottom of an oven proof dish. Don't add too much of the gravy, the mixture shouldn't be swimming in it! Then put a layer of the mashed potato on top, mark with a fork and dot with little bits of butter, and either put under the grill to brown or put back into a hot oven for half an hour or so, until bubbling and golden brown.

Thicken any remaining gravy and serve the cottage pie with a seasonal veg.

In Scotland at events like Burns' Suppers, we served bash neeps n chappit tatties (swede turnip and mashed potatoes) I think the swede is called rutabaga (?) in the US. I often top cottage pie with this mixture. When I prepare the potatoes, I dice the swede and add it to the boiling water, I then mash the two veg together with butter, milk and lots of black pepper.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:02 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Shepard's Pies

Interesting, Ishbel. I remember seeing recipes for shepard's pie using lamb. I didn't know shepard's bie made with beef is called cottage pie. Hmm.....

Having said that, and posting my recipe, I have eaten it without vegetables. I remember eating beef and gravy and mashed potatoes at school. It was one of my favorite dishes in the school lunch menu. I always made it with vegetables so it would be a complete meal. All in my family like it.
Old 11-17-2004, 09:09 AM   #9
Executive Chef

The explanation I gave is what I grew up being told here in the UK!!

Traditionally, I believe that shepherd's pie has no other veg but onions in it, but that Cottage pie can have any veg you like 8)

Very tasty on a cold, rainy winter's day in Scotland 8)
Old 11-17-2004, 09:12 AM   #10
Senior Cook

Shepard's Pie

I started making it with mixed vegetables because we all like them. I have seen recipes with a tomato sauce and green beans and ground meat and a mashed potato crust. What are some workable variations? What vegetables have you known to be in shepard's pie?

Tags
None