Shepherds Pie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know you'll get some awesome authentic recipe...but I've recently made my version with: ground beef [usually 1#], sauteed with some onion, sliced fresh baby bella mushrooms - stir all together with some frozen baby peas and a jar [yes, flame me here!!!] of roast beef gravy or beef mushroom gravy - into an 8x8" pan and top with mashed potatoes. I usually put some cheese in the potatoes then pop in the oven at 350 till it's all bubbly and the potatoes start to brown. Sprinkle some cheese on top and let that melt.

Hubby likes it as well as the British Tea Room here in town [as long as he hasn't been there in a couple months!!!] and son says I make miracles with meat and potatoes...

thanks JRsTXDeb...sounds simple and good .........hey taking some help from jarred or canned things are pretty common now days so don't worry about it......I am def. a shortcut kind of gal when time is crunched or I'm just being plain lazy ;) .

I've found a couple of brands that are as good as I can make if I'm not cooking a roast from scratch...and I"ll use those - heck, I'll use about anything if I'm hungry enough!! have been in a couple places where folks 'claimed' to not use any prepared food product....wondering how on earth those folks are growing that much wheat, corn, cows....etc hehehe

Shepard's Pie

I used to make this years ago. When my kids played soccer I needed a make ahead casserole for dinner that I put into the oven for a half hour.

I brown and drain one pound of ground meat (beef or turkey). I add a jar of gravy to the cooked meat. I put the meat and gravy and a pound of steamed, frozen mixed vegetables in a baking dish. Sometimes I use a square Corning ware dish with a lid - I believe it measures 9 or 10 inches square.

I put a mashed potato crust on top. I boil a couple of potatoes. I take the skins off when cool. I mash the potatoes, add an egg, add 1/4 to 1/2 c. nonfat sour cream to the potatoes. Completely mix the ingredients for the mashed potato crust. Put the mashed potatoes over the meat, gravy and vegetables. You can sprinkle some shredded cheddar cheese on the mashed potato crust before baking. (Cheese is optional but does add some flavor.)

Bake covered for 30 minutes at 350. You can serve immediately or let cool. It doesn't matter. This reheats well for a second meal. I've sometimes put everything together in the early morning and then baked it for a half hour at night for dinner and that is fine, too.

Traditionally shepherd's pie is made with minced lamb (hence shepherd!) and if it is made with minced beef it is called cottage pie.

Here's my recipe.

1.5 lb of top quality minced beef (I always buy Aberdeen Angus here in the UK)
2 large onions, peeled, cut in half and then sliced thinly.
2 medium carrots (ptional)
Stock

Fry the onions in a little sunflower oil, until transparent, but not browned. Fry off the mince to brown and allow all the extra fat to be drained out (I know some of the flavour disappears, too!). Add a pint of beef stock, flavoured with a couple of good dashes of Worcester sauce to the mince and onions in a pot on top of the cooker. Add salt/pepper to taste. Allow to cook together for at least an hour/to hour and a half.

In the meantime, boil some potatoes and when cooked, mash with butter and a little milk.

Put the mince mixture in the bottom of an oven proof dish. Don't add too much of the gravy, the mixture shouldn't be swimming in it! Then put a layer of the mashed potato on top, mark with a fork and dot with little bits of butter, and either put under the grill to brown or put back into a hot oven for half an hour or so, until bubbling and golden brown.

Thicken any remaining gravy and serve the cottage pie with a seasonal veg.

In Scotland at events like Burns' Suppers, we served bash neeps n chappit tatties (swede turnip and mashed potatoes) I think the swede is called rutabaga (?) in the US. I often top cottage pie with this mixture. When I prepare the potatoes, I dice the swede and add it to the boiling water, I then mash the two veg together with butter, milk and lots of black pepper.

Shepard's Pies

Interesting, Ishbel. I remember seeing recipes for shepard's pie using lamb. I didn't know shepard's bie made with beef is called cottage pie. Hmm.....

Having said that, and posting my recipe, I have eaten it without vegetables. I remember eating beef and gravy and mashed potatoes at school. It was one of my favorite dishes in the school lunch menu. I always made it with vegetables so it would be a complete meal. All in my family like it.

The explanation I gave is what I grew up being told here in the UK!!

Traditionally, I believe that shepherd's pie has no other veg but onions in it, but that Cottage pie can have any veg you like 8)

Very tasty on a cold, rainy winter's day in Scotland 8)

Shepard's Pie

I started making it with mixed vegetables because we all like them. I have seen recipes with a tomato sauce and green beans and ground meat and a mashed potato crust. What are some workable variations? What vegetables have you known to be in shepard's pie?

Well....

I sometimes add diced swede (is that rutabaga where you live?) as well as carrot, courgette and onions. I've got a cousin who insists on putting tinned baked beans (the Heinz ones in tomato sauce!) I've also known people to add sweet corn.

This recipe turned out amazing. A little labor-intensive, but worth it. My prep time was well over the 25 minutes stated.

Lamb Shank Shepherd's Pie with Creamed Spinach Recipe courtesy Gourmet Magazine

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Medium
Prep Time: 25 minutes
Cook Time: 3 hours 35 minutes
Yield: 6 servings
User Rating:

Cook's Notes: Lamb shanks can be made 1 day ahead of assembling shepherd's pie and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before proceeding. Mashed potatoes can be made 1 day ahead of assembling shepherd's pie and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before proceeding. Shepherd's pie can be assembled (before being drizzled with melted butter) 1 day ahead and chilled, covered. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before drizzling with butter and baking.

3 tablespoons vegetable oil
5 1/2 pounds large lamb shanks (4 large)
Salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 small onions, sliced
1/2 cup fresh thyme sprigs
1/2 cup fresh rosemary sprigs
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 1/4 cups beef broth
1 1/4 cups water
3 pounds russet (baking) potatoes (about 6)
3/4 cup whole milk
Salt and pepper
5 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 tablespoons unsalted, softened butter plus 2 tablespoons melted
Creamed spinach, recipe follows
Special Equipment: A ricer

Prepare lamb: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Heat the oil in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season the lamb shanks with salt and pepper and brown them in batches, transferring each to a plate when browned. Add onions and herb sprigs and cook, stirring, until lightly browned and soft, about 10 minutes. Return the shanks to the Dutch oven with the wine, broth, and water and bring to a boil. Cover, transfer to the oven, and braise until fork tender, about 2 hours. Transfer shanks to a plate. Discard herb sprigs. Pour cooking liquid (including onions) into a large glass measure.
Prepare potatoes and boil carrots while lamb roasts: Pierce each potato once with a fork and bake on rack in lower third of oven until cooked through, 45 to 50 minutes. Cool potatoes 10 minutes, then halve lengthwise and scoop out flesh. Force warm potatoes through ricer into a bowl. Stir in milk, and salt, pepper, to taste.

Cook carrots in boiling salted water until tender, about 10 minutes. Rinse under cold running water to stop cooking.

Make gravy: Skim fat from cooking liquid (you'll have about 2 1/2 cups broth). Put the cooking liquid in a saucepan and bring to boil. Knead the flour and softened butter into a paste and whisk it into the liquid. Return the gravy to a boil to thicken and simmer, whisking occasionally, for 5 minutes.

Cut lamb meat from bones, then tear meat into bite-size pieces. Stir meat into gravy and set aside.

Assemble and bake pie: Spoon lamb-shank mixture into a 12 by 3-inch oval gratin dish or a 2 1/2 to 3-quart shallow baking dish, spreading evenly. Scatter carrots over lamb, then top with creamed spinach, spreading evenly. Top spinach with mashed potatoes, spreading evenly to edges of dish to cover filling completely. Make swirl patterns on surface of potatoes with back of spoon, then drizzle with the melted butter.

Put baking dish in a foil-lined shallow (1-inch-deep) baking pan to catch drips and bake until top is golden and filling is bubbling, about 1 hour.

Creamed Spinach:
1 package frozen creamed spinach
2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan
1/2 teaspoon salt
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Freshly ground black pepper

Cook spinach according to package directions. Whisk in Parmesan, salt, nutmeg, and pepper, to taste. Cook's Note: Spinach can be made 1 day ahead of assembling shepherd's pie and chilled, covered. Bring to room temperature before proceeding.

Episode#: SS1C04
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Sorry, that wasn't exactly a simple recipe as requested. It was on my mind because I'm going to make it for company this weekend. If you spread the prep over two days, it's much easier. *nods* :D

This is another twist for Shepherd's Pie

2 cups leftover stuffing
2 cups leftover turkey cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 cup defrosted frozen peas
1/2 cup defrosted frozen cubed carrots
1 1/4 cups turkey gravy
2 cups mashed potatoes (leftover).
1/4 cup milk or sour cream

In a 9x9 inch baking dish, oiled, spread a layer of stuffing
top with turkey, peas, carrots and gravy.

Combine mashed potatoes with milk or sour cream and spread over gravy.

Bake at 350 deg. for 20 to 25 mins until hot and bubbly.

Cool 5 minutes before serving.

Note: you can substitute any leftover vegs for the frozen ones.

Strawberry Shortcake said:
Sorry, that wasn't exactly a simple recipe as requested. It was on my mind because I'm going to make it for company this weekend. If you spread the prep over two days, it's much easier. *nods* :D

yay!!!! a real recipe for shepard's pie!!!! i was raised on lamb in my shepard's pie, as the name would suggest, (i mean it's not cowboy pie).

copying this a i type. thanks a bunch ssc...

Shepherd pie recipe

I would like to say this is an authentic British shepherd's pie, but I can't! It's really one of those things that here are about as many versions as there are cooks.

Anyway, here is how I make mine :)

SHEPHERD PIE

Ingredients
14 oz of minced lamb or beef*
1/4 pint lamb or beef stock
1 huge onion - chopped
7 oz of carrots
7 oz of canned tomato
Worcestershire sauce
1 tbsp of flour

9 oz of good starch rich potatos
cream of evaporated milk
salt and fresh ground black pepper

Mature cheddar cheese - grated

*Note: technically if you use minced beef then it is a "cottage pie"

Method
1 - peel and set potatos to boiling for the mashed potato
2 - Heat oil and cook onions till they begin to change to translucent
3 - Add your meat and brown it
4 - Add stock, carrots, tomato, and a dash of Worcestershire sauce!
5 - cook, simmering and stirring for awhile ( about 5 mins )
6 - transfer to oven proof dish. The liquid should not come over the meat. If it does you can always put it back in the pan and reduce it a bit.
7 - Mash potatos with cream, black pepper, and salt
8 - Cover the meat with mash
9 - cover top with cheese!
10 - cook in the oven for about half an hour or until top is nice and crispy

Eat it and go yuuuuuuuuum! :)

never had lamb???????? oh man, sizz, you are missing one of the greatest things to eat in the world. i love it; can't get enough...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom