"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Click Here to Login

Old 07-16-2017, 05:12 PM   #11
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
I make my own deviled ham spread when I have leftover ham that needs used. I just made some for a road trip a couple of weeks ago and put in the cooler for snacks along the road. I don't have a food processor so I just put diced ham in the blender on pulse a little at a time, leaving some texture to it - I didn't want it totally pureed. Added just enough mayo, and a little mustard and pickle relish to hold it together for spreading on crackers. We all really enjoyed it - that was the road snack that got used up first.
I think I would like it if I found a ham I like... we have a place called heavenly ham here and everyone loves it but every meat they have is so sweet! I realize I'm definitely weird on account that I don't like anything sweet, except hidden sugars that I don't realize I'm ingesting I did give up pop!

Old 07-16-2017, 05:25 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

I sure didn't grow up with Spam, and I doubt my Dad even carried it in his meat market/grocery store. He would probably roll in his grave that I now always have a can of it in my pantry.
I especially like the chorizo flavored Spam and think it's superior to anything else available.

Thanks for the recipe Bossman.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:31 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Nice recipe, bossman.

I grew up with Spam, we always had a few cans of it during our lake vacations. Dad and his cronies called it spork. He loved to fry it for sandwiches.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #14
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I sure didn't grow up with Spam, and I doubt my Dad even carried it in his meat market/grocery store. He would probably roll in his grave that I now always have a can of it in my pantry.
I especially like the chorizo flavored Spam and think it's superior to anything else available.

Thanks for the recipe Bossman.
Chorizo flavored may be something I would like! I love chorizo! Especially the chori pollo at Mexican restaurants!
Old 07-16-2017, 05:36 PM   #15
Head Chef

I grew up with spam as a regular meal.... While it isn't a staple for me now, I do enjoy opening a can now and then.. I frequently order spam and eggs at a tiny Filipino dinner we go to...
Love the stuff...
Ross
Old 07-16-2017, 05:42 PM   #16
Master Chef

I just wrote it down on my shopping list. Spam is something I haven't had in probably 20 years, so I never think to buy it until a tasty sounding Spam dish pops up here. I'll have to try some of the different flavored ones too....the Chorizo intrigues me.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:53 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

You'll love the Chorizo Spam Cheryl and Merlot. Cut it up in tiny chunks, and brown it well for omelets, or that Chili Rellano casserole you and I like to make Cheryl
Unlike store bought Chorizo, there's little fat and no icky gristle bits.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
You'll love the Chorizo Spam Cheryl and Merlot. Cut it up in tiny chunks, and brown it well for omelets, or that Chili Rellano casserole you and I like to make Cheryl
Unlike store bought Chorizo, there's little fat and no icky gristle bits.
Ty! I'll try it!
Old 07-16-2017, 06:11 PM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

I like the jalapeņo Spam in egg dishes, too. DH doesn't like eggs, but we both grew up with Spam, so I have eggs and he has that. We also like to fry it for sandwiches.
Old 07-16-2017, 06:49 PM   #20
Master Chef

Thanks Kay and GG! I'll try them both.

Tags
cabbage, potato, potatoes, recipe

Spam, cabbage & potatoes Don't overlook this even if you don't like spam! I can't stand it, but LOVE this recipe. My mom got it from a friend and we tried it and it has been something we eat 5-6 times a year since and love it every time. We tried this with ham and it just wasn't the same, for some reason the funkiness of the spam makes it. One can of spam, cubed fairly small One head of cabbage, chopped one small onion, diced 3lbs of potatoes, cubed 1 tsp Garlic powder Lowry's seasoned salt, to taste Freshly ground black pepper, to taste 2 tbsp olive oil 2 tbsp butter Start with the potatoes, you can either use raw or leftover cooked potatoes. Get them browning with the butter and olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet or chef's pan and starting to get tender if they are raw. Add the onion and the spam, cook until potatoes and spam are nice and brown. Add the chopped cabbage, all of it, add the pepper and garlic powder and start with a couple teaspoons of the Lowry's seasoned salt, lower heat to medium, cover. After about 10 minutes stir and cover again for another 5-10 mins until the cabbage is well wilted and getting close to how you want it. Uncover and cook until any liquid is gone, taste and add more Lowry's until it tastes good to you (it takes a lot more of the Lowry's then you might think). Bread and butter goes well with this. Try it I think you will be surprised!:wink: 3 stars 1 reviews