Spam, cabbage & potatoes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have a Prime account either, but I still buy often from Amazon. Most of the time I can get all or part of my order with free shipping just by being willing to take the slowest route. The 5-7 days shipping option when offered for a product is free ground transport.

That's interesting... I'd never looked at it from that perspective... Thank you... :)

Ross

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

I had a girlfriend that made criss cross marks on the whole block of Spam. She then placed a small piece of pineapple with a clove on each cut diamond. Her husband loved it and she would make it for him often. Served with a baked sweet potato, salad, a green veggie and dessert, and they had a very elegant dinner.

Now there's a real stretch Addie!:rolleyes: I like Spam, but elegant it's not! :ermm::LOL::ohmy::ROFLMAO:!

:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:

Now there's a real stretch Addie!:rolleyes: I like Spam, but elegant it's not! :ermm::LOL::ohmy::ROFLMAO:!

That's all a matter of perspective. If you are used to prime rib, then no, but if all you can usually afford are "meat byproducts", then a nice Spam presentation may seem to be the lap of luxury.

Canned meats are pretty popular in Hawaii, mainly because of the cost!
I liked canned Corned Beef (not the Hash) with Cabbage served over steamed White Rice, MMM :yum:
(I could feed four of us with one can of Corned Beef, BFDH-that's before DH)
OhMyGravy all over my two scoops rice (that's OMG! in my world ;))
I think I MUST make this ...
I just asked DH if he would eat this dish and his response was ...
"NO! Are you nuts are something? Who eats that?"

And then there's Vienna Sausage fried crisp, OE Eggs and steamed White Rice topped with Aloha Brand Shoyu and Furikake, Ooh!

I'll stop now...
Sorry if I hijacked your thread there bossman :blush: but like I said, you had me at Spam!

That's all a matter of perspective. If you are used to prime rib, then no, but if all you can usually afford are "meat byproducts", then a nice Spam presentation may seem to be the lap of luxury.
I think that even people who can't afford expensive ingredients know that Spam is not an elegant dish.

bossman, you lost me at "Spam". :LOL: It was never allowed to darken our kitchen door; my Dad swore off of it the minute he returned home from WWII. I did have one little nibble of it once, though. My BIL loves it and offered me a bite. Not my thing. However, the rest of the recipe rocks! Potato, onion, kraut...foods to love. It's not as if I'm singling out just Spam. Mom tried to get me to eat Libby Canned Corned Beef when I was a kid. Same result. If I can remember to look for this recipe when its ham baking season again, I will try it with ham. Since I don't know how it's supposed to taste, I bet we would really enjoy it if I made it the first time with ham. ;)
Some history of Spam. - Sp stands for the Spices used in making the meat, and AM is the last part of the word Ham. Thus SPAM. It was developed to feed the servicemen during WWII....
You seem to have a different history on Spam than Hormel offers. There seems to be many stories about the creation of the name, but "...As Hormel tells it, he launched a naming contest for the new product during a New Year's Eve party, when Daigneau spit out "Spam" as if "it were nothing at all," Hormel told Gill. "I knew then and there that the name was perfect." Oddly enough, that was my reaction to tasting the product! :cool:

This is from a teaser paragraph on "The New Yorker"'s website. It's from a link to an article from 1945, when Jay Hormel was interviewed by their reporter. To wit: "Spam is only a small part of the business. It didn't get on the market until 1937." From what I remember from history class, that's before WWII even started in Europe.

Last edited:
As a kid, I was one of the world's pickiest eaters. Spam never bothered me, at least not the way Dad cooked it, sliced thin and fried extra crispy. A standard up at the lake. No big pockets of gristle and fat, just ground-up ham, that tasted pretty much like ham.

I've never tried Spam. I just can't get past its similarity to deviled ham. When I was a kid, my dad LOVED Underwood deviled ham but my mother hated it. She'd buy him cans of it for lunch or snacking though. Just the smell of it grossed me out, as did her canned tamales. I can tolerate canned chicken to go into our hurricane box and have made a few decent meals with it, but just can't deal with canned beef or pork products. I'm not even that thrilled about out-of-the-panty canned crab anymore since we discovered the refrigerated kind.

As far as Spam being elegant, I know some people who would think a dinner like that would be elegant, just from the extra effort and presentation, and that it was done with the 2 of them in mind.

Back
Top Bottom