"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #1
Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Omaha
Posts: 67
Spam, cabbage & potatoes

Don't overlook this even if you don't like spam! I can't stand it, but LOVE this recipe. My mom got it from a friend and we tried it and it has been something we eat 5-6 times a year since and love it every time. We tried this with ham and it just wasn't the same, for some reason the funkiness of the spam makes it.

One can of spam, cubed fairly small
One head of cabbage, chopped
one small onion, diced
3lbs of potatoes, cubed
1 tsp Garlic powder
Lowry's seasoned salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter

Start with the potatoes, you can either use raw or leftover cooked potatoes. Get them browning with the butter and olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet or chef's pan and starting to get tender if they are raw. Add the onion and the spam, cook until potatoes and spam are nice and brown. Add the chopped cabbage, all of it, add the pepper and garlic powder and start with a couple teaspoons of the Lowry's seasoned salt, lower heat to medium, cover. After about 10 minutes stir and cover again for another 5-10 mins until the cabbage is well wilted and getting close to how you want it. Uncover and cook until any liquid is gone, taste and add more Lowry's until it tastes good to you (it takes a lot more of the Lowry's then you might think).

Bread and butter goes well with this. Try it I think you will be surprised!

__________________

__________________
bossman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 08:32 PM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 2,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
Don't overlook this even if you don't like spam! I can't stand it, but LOVE this recipe. My mom got it from a friend and we tried it and it has been something we eat 5-6 times a year since and love it every time. We tried this with ham and it just wasn't the same, for some reason the funkiness of the spam makes it.

One can of spam, cubed fairly small
One head of cabbage, chopped
one small onion, diced
3lbs of potatoes, cubed
1 tsp Garlic powder
Lowry's seasoned salt, to taste
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp butter

Start with the potatoes, you can either use raw or leftover cooked potatoes. Get them browning with the butter and olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet or chef's pan and starting to get tender if they are raw. Add the onion and the spam, cook until potatoes and spam are nice and brown. Add the chopped cabbage, all of it, add the pepper and garlic powder and start with a couple teaspoons of the Lowry's seasoned salt, lower heat to medium, cover. After about 10 minutes stir and cover again for another 5-10 mins until the cabbage is well wilted and getting close to how you want it. Uncover and cook until any liquid is gone, taste and add more Lowry's until it tastes good to you (it takes a lot more of the Lowry's then you might think).

Bread and butter goes well with this. Try it I think you will be surprised!
You had me at Spam Braddah Bossman! That's the food of my hertiage Hawaii eats more Spam than any other State
But, I think steamed White Rice would be our households choice of a side.
Bread and Butter, where I was brought up, is a food group all it's own.
Not sure about the extra salt though, Spam can be salty.
__________________

__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:16 AM   #3
Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Omaha
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
You had me at Spam Braddah Bossman! That's the food of my hertiage Hawaii eats more Spam than any other State
But, I think steamed White Rice would be our households choice of a side.
Bread and Butter, where I was brought up, is a food group all it's own.
Not sure about the extra salt though, Spam can be salty.
Lots of potatoes and cabbage, both of which take a lot of salt.
__________________
bossman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:54 AM   #4
Master Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,578
Looks good, except for the Spam. Bad memories from childhood where neither parent could cook, even though they thought they could! Spam went into the baked spaghetti along with Velveeta (bleck) and stewed tomatoes. I still use stewed tomatoes, but never have baked spaghetti and I don't use Spam or Velveeta.
__________________
If you're gonna make a Key Lime pie, you have to use real Key Limes!
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:38 AM   #5
Head Chef
 
skilletlicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,323
I bet this thread grows to at least 75 posts, mostly about Spam.

I didn't grow up with it and ashamed to confess that I looked down my nose at it most of my life. Now it is a regular pantry item that goes on the shopping list as soon as a can is opened. Usually the 25% less salt variety.

And cabbage is another vegetable that, as a kid, I just wasn't aware of except for cole slaw and didn't care much for that. But it is inexpensive and healthy and tempts me in the produce aisle but because I'm just not used to using it, I rarely buy it.

But I am used to and fond of one skillet dinners mostly made with potatoes, onions, any meat, and any vegetable (especially peppers). So next shopping trip I'll pick up a head of cabbage work it into the rotation.

Thanks, Bossman.
__________________
"'Eat food, not too much, mostly plants." - Michael Pollan

Old bachelor cook
skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:00 PM   #6
Sous Chef
 
Merlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WV
Posts: 939
Spam can't be any worse than potted meat, right? I used to LOVE that stuff and I don't even want to know what's in it! We ate potted meat WITH mayo on the whitest of white breads, think wonder bread. I'd eat it now if I didn't know how full of sodium and fat it is!
__________________
"Learning gives creativity, creativity leads to thinking, thinking provides knowledge, knowledge makes you great."
-Abdul Kalam
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #7
Cook
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Omaha
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlot View Post
Spam can't be any worse than potted meat, right? I used to LOVE that stuff and I don't even want to know what's in it! We ate potted meat WITH mayo on the whitest of white breads, think wonder bread. I'd eat it now if I didn't know how full of sodium and fat it is!
Is potted meat like Deviled Ham? We eat Deviled Ham about once a month, my youngest loves it. I use two cans of Deviled Ham with a couple tablespoons of Miracle Whip (to taste), a teaspoon or so of yellow mustard and 6 chopped up hard boiled eggs. Makes an easy meal that is best made up the day before and left in the fridge, served on toast.

Its even better if you make your own Deviled Ham which is super easy if you have a food processor, just take some left over ham and dice it, put it in the food processor and go until it is very fine. Tastes really good with leftover Spiral ham!
__________________
bossman150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 04:27 PM   #8
Sous Chef
 
Merlot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WV
Posts: 939
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman150 View Post
Is potted meat like Deviled Ham? We eat Deviled Ham about once a month, my youngest loves it. I use two cans of Deviled Ham with a couple tablespoons of Miracle Whip (to taste), a teaspoon or so of yellow mustard and 6 chopped up hard boiled eggs. Makes an easy meal that is best made up the day before and left in the fridge, served on toast.

Its even better if you make your own Deviled Ham which is super easy if you have a food processor, just take some left over ham and dice it, put it in the food processor and go until it is very fine. Tastes really good with leftover Spiral ham!
I'm not sure I can even explain the taste of potted meat, maybe puréed salty meat... I don't buy the deviled ham (too sweet for me) but I love that deviled chicken! Good stuff. I do have a food processor, I bet I could make it more to my taste that way!
__________________
"Learning gives creativity, creativity leads to thinking, thinking provides knowledge, knowledge makes you great."
-Abdul Kalam
Merlot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 7,419
I make my own deviled ham spread when I have leftover ham that needs used. I just made some for a road trip a couple of weeks ago and put in the cooler for snacks along the road. I don't have a food processor so I just put diced ham in the blender on pulse a little at a time, leaving some texture to it - I didn't want it totally pureed. Added just enough mayo, and a little mustard and pickle relish to hold it together for spreading on crackers. We all really enjoyed it - that was the road snack that got used up first.
__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 05:10 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
Cheryl J's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: California
Posts: 7,419
Thank you for posting your recipe for spam, cabbage and potatoes, bossman! It sounds good, and I'll definitely be making this.
__________________

__________________
Grandchildren fill the space in your heart you never knew was empty.
Cheryl J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cabbage, potato, potatoes, recipe

Spam, cabbage & potatoes Don't overlook this even if you don't like spam! I can't stand it, but LOVE this recipe. My mom got it from a friend and we tried it and it has been something we eat 5-6 times a year since and love it every time. We tried this with ham and it just wasn't the same, for some reason the funkiness of the spam makes it. One can of spam, cubed fairly small One head of cabbage, chopped one small onion, diced 3lbs of potatoes, cubed 1 tsp Garlic powder Lowry's seasoned salt, to taste Freshly ground black pepper, to taste 2 tbsp olive oil 2 tbsp butter Start with the potatoes, you can either use raw or leftover cooked potatoes. Get them browning with the butter and olive oil over medium high heat in a large skillet or chef's pan and starting to get tender if they are raw. Add the onion and the spam, cook until potatoes and spam are nice and brown. Add the chopped cabbage, all of it, add the pepper and garlic powder and start with a couple teaspoons of the Lowry's seasoned salt, lower heat to medium, cover. After about 10 minutes stir and cover again for another 5-10 mins until the cabbage is well wilted and getting close to how you want it. Uncover and cook until any liquid is gone, taste and add more Lowry's until it tastes good to you (it takes a lot more of the Lowry's then you might think). Bread and butter goes well with this. Try it I think you will be surprised!:wink: 3 stars 1 reviews
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.