"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 04-20-2006, 09:35 AM   #1
Cook

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
Stir-Fry!

Daniel (fiancee) got me a wok for Chanukah - a really good one! I love making stir-fry, but didn't have the right cookware for it and so it would get really messy, lol.

Anyway, I started this thread not necessarily for recipes, but to see what people like to put in their stir-fry.

I like, broccoli, carrots, baby corn, cauliflower and beef (I am a picky eater which limits it for me, but I do make onions and peppers in a seperate pan for Daniel to add to his)

Old 04-20-2006, 09:38 AM   #2
Head Chef

chicken, beef, shrimp, baby corn, broccoli, peppers, onion, garlic, soy sauce, oyster sauce, fish sauce, bean sprouts, water chestnuts, thai chilies, sriracha sauce, mushrooms, day old white rice, rice noodles, ginger,

most of the ingredients i interchange when i stir fry

Old 04-20-2006, 09:56 AM   #3
Master Chef

I am an Asian stirfry maniac - lol!! Have lost count of all the Asian cookbooks I have, not to mention all the recipes I've developed through experimentation. Anyway, even though this isn't the "poultry" forum, this is one of my own favorites:

Chicken Asparagus with Oyster/Black Bean Sauce
2 boneless skinless chicken breast pieces (about a pound or so), sliced & cut into bitesized pieces
1 bunch fresh asparagus (about a pound or so), tough ends trimmed & cut into 2" pieces
2 stalks of Bok Choy, ends trimmed, cut into 1" pieces
2" piece of fresh Ginger, peeled & minced
3 large or 6 small cloves of garlic, peeled & chopped
3 tablespoons Chinese salted/preserved/fermented black beans
2 tablespoons oyster sauce
3 tablespoons dry sherry
1 teaspoon oriental chile paste/sauce
8 fresh shitake mushrooms, stemmed & quartered
3 tablespoons or so Peanut or vegetable oil for stirfrying
Cooked Jasmine Rice for serving.

Soak beans in hot tap water to cover & let sit for 15 minutes. Drain beans, add garlic, & mash together with a fork to make a rough paste. Add sherry, oyster sauce, & chile paste & stir.
Bring a pot of water large enough to hold asparagus pieces to a boil & add all asparagus pieces except for the tips. Boil for 2 minutes, then add tips & boil for another minute. Drain.
Make rice according to package directions.
Heat wok (or large frying/saute pan) until drop of water sizzles. Add oil & swirl.
Add Bok Choy & ginger & stirfry for 1 minute. Add chicken pieces & continue stirfrying until chicken is just about cooked thru. Add mushrooms & stirfry for another minute. Add blanched asparagus & bean paste mixture & stir for another minute. (If there isn't enough moisture in the pan, you can add a splash or 2 of water or chicken broth.)
Serve over Jasmine Rice.
Old 04-20-2006, 11:48 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

i like to wok: snow peas, rehydrated shiitakes, cloud ears, oyster mushrooms, bok choy, water chestnuts, scallions, onions, carrots, bell peppers, various hot peppers like jalapeno, cherry, and gochu.
also, broccoli, baby corn, lotus root, celery, cabbage, horseradish, red and icicle radish, spinach, escarole, broccoli rabe, beet and radish greens, peanuts, cashews, walnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, chicken (breast and thigh meat), beef (in chunks like in steak kew, or thin sliced), pork (chunks or shredded), shrimp, squid, scallops, tilapia, tuna, tofu, noodles (rice and soba), and all usually cooked in peanut oil, sometimes finished with hot or regular sesame oil.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:23 AM   #5
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom
i like to wok: snow peas, rehydrated shiitakes, cloud ears, oyster mushrooms, bok choy, water chestnuts, scallions, onions, carrots, bell peppers, various hot peppers like jalapeno, cherry, and gochu.
also, broccoli, baby corn, lotus root, celery, cabbage, horseradish, red and icicle radish, spinach, escarole, broccoli rabe, beet and radish greens, peanuts, cashews, walnuts, sesame seeds, pumpkin and sunflower seeds, chicken (breast and thigh meat), beef (in chunks like in steak kew, or thin sliced), pork (chunks or shredded), shrimp, squid, scallops, tilapia, tuna, tofu, noodles (rice and soba), and all usually cooked in peanut oil, sometimes finished with hot or regular sesame oil.
That must be one heck of a big wok!!!!

John

ronjohn55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006, 09:30 AM   #6
Cook

Send a message via AIM to lmw80 Send a message via MSN to lmw80 Send a message via Yahoo to lmw80
forgive me, but what are cloud ears?

I didn't mention seasoning with mine...I use soy sauce, ginger, garlic, stir-fry sauce, chili powder and a tad of thai peanut dressing
Old 04-21-2006, 09:45 AM   #7
Executive Chef

all those great chinese green leafy vegetables...crisp and nutty without being bitter! great in a stir fry...broth garlic soy ginger minimal meat chili flakes or sauce green onion...over brown rice WOW
Old 04-21-2006, 12:35 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
I like to keep my stri-fries simple... usually just one or two veggies, a meat, whatever sauce I'm in the mood for, served over lo mein or fried rice.

I love my sauce thick, like chinese-take out sauces usually are, so I always make sure to add a little bit of water/flour slurry to my wok about a minute before everything is finished cooking. It gets a nice glaze over everything, and really helps the sauces stick to your meats and veggies.
Old 04-21-2006, 01:07 PM   #9
Master Chef

If I need to thicken a stirfry sauce, I always combine a tablespoon of cornstarch with a tablespoon or 2 of water & add that. You don't have to "cook" it & thus avoid any possible raw flour taste or lumps.
Old 04-21-2006, 10:20 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Quizzie
Hey Imw80. How are you? Don't you just love your wok? I have a Cast Iron Wok. It took me awhile to cure it. I have had it for about 5 years now. When my friends come over I have to hide it. It was one of those things, I was at the right [place at the right time}. There was only one. I grabbed it up so fast, I did not care about the price.

I believe if my husband and I were to divorce, it would be in the decree. (sorry Honey the wok is mine)

Seafood is my favorite mixed with veggies, fresh ginger root, garlic and a little bit soy sauce, cornstarch, and water to thicken. WHITE RICE PLEASE.

Tags
None