Stuffed Cabbage - Pigs in a Blanket - Golumpki

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

letscook

Head Chef
Don't know where to put this one as it's a vegetable and meat! Any how !

When making them I always core out the cabbage then put in boiling water and take leaves off as they loosen.
I just heard that if you core it then put it plastic bag and put in freezer overnight the leaves just peel off.

Anyone else hear of this or have tried it? Wonder if leaves get to flimsy and tear or even mushy after cooking.

Interesting Idea tho.

Ive heard the same thing about freezing and thawing, but never actually tried it. Hopefully someone here has tried it and says it works, cause the other way is a pain in the butt :)

I've heard this too, though I haven't tried it. Makes sense, as freezing breaks down the cells.

Never tried it.

I have a friend that does them in the microwave, I have not tried it.

I only make 6 or 8 at a time so it is not a big chore to steam a few leaves while I make the filling.

I make them quite often in the winter, it's easy now that I've cut back from a roaster pan to a small casserole.

Last edited:
I use a Jane Grigson recipe that she got from her French neighbour in the Loire region. No messing with peeling off the leaves - she just made the stuffing and chopped the cabbage and layered everything in a pan with a little stock and cooked it on the hob. (Sorry, the book's still in one of the unpacked boxes so can't be more precise.)

I sometimes use "undressed" (ie skins removed) Merguez sausages for the sausagemeat stuffing. Makes a nice change.

Mad cook
I did that once by accident- I had HUGE cabbage my dad gave me and I planned on making a couple pans of pigs for a family gathering. I was preparing all the rest of the items and heard a noise, my cabbage split leaving the leaves unusable for pigs. so instead I made what I called "Polish Lasagna" all the ingredients of pigs made into a lasagna. My mom said thought you were making pigs. I just told her they exploded in the oven, funny cause she looks at me and then didn't say a thing. Days later she must of thought of it and ask me Why do you think they exploded? I burst out laughing sorry mom and explain the change. God love her she"s a trip sometimes - 80 plus years. I have since made it that way several times for family gathering, and goes over well.

Julia Child recommended the freezing route on one of her shows. Haven't tried it yet because the last few times we made "cabbage" rolls we used large collard greens leaves.

Mad cook
I did that once by accident- I had HUGE cabbage my dad gave me and I planned on making a couple pans of pigs for a family gathering. I was preparing all the rest of the items and heard a noise, my cabbage split leaving the leaves unusable for pigs. so instead I made what I called "Polish Lasagna" all the ingredients of pigs made into a lasagna. My mom said thought you were making pigs. I just told her they exploded in the oven, funny cause she looks at me and then didn't say a thing. Days later she must of thought of it and ask me Why do you think they exploded? I burst out laughing sorry mom and explain the change. God love her she"s a trip sometimes - 80 plus years. I have since made it that way several times for family gathering, and goes over well.
It saves a lot of fiddling doesn't it. :yum:

"Polish Lasagna" LOL, going to be making that. Sometimes I forget you can deconstruct a recipe to make it simpler to make, but still end up with something darn tasty.

I did the Polish Lasagna version once. It did taste good, and the taste was there, but there's something about the cabbage leaf being stuffed/ consistency, texture.. that made a difference. Maybe to someone who never had a cabbage leaf stuffed before , they would be more open minded than I was . Again, tasted exactly the same, since it was the same ingredients.

I cut deep around the stem and plunk the cabbage head in boiling water. Using a cooking fork, I gently remove the cabbage leaves from the water as they loosen. Here are some pictures of the stuffed cabbage that I made today. I served it with mashed potatoes. Dessert was cheesecake with crushed cherry topping.

~Kathleen

Attachments

• DSC00916.jpg
    DSC00916.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 519
  • DSC00921.jpg
    DSC00921.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 502
  • DSC00925.jpg
    DSC00925.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 511
I cut deep around the stem and plunk the cabbage head in boiling water. Using a cooking fork, I gently remove the cabbage leaves from the water as they loosen. Here are some pictures of the stuffed cabbage that I made today. I served it with mashed potatoes. Dessert was cheesecake with crushed cherry topping.

~Kathleen

They look amazing, Kathleen! :yum:

They look amazing, Kathleen! :yum:

Thanks! I got the recipe from LindaZ. Basically the filling has hamburger, zesty (or hot) sausage, a bit of tomato sauce, chopped onion, cooked white rice, salt and pepper. Line the bottom of a slow cooker or Dutch oven with scrap cabbage leaves. Roll the filling in the leaves and layer them with scattered tomatoes. (I use a can of stewed tomatoes and a can of slightly mashed whole tomatoes.) Cover the top with a few more scrap cabbage leaves. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours or cook on low in a slow cooker for 10 to 12 hours. They are better the second day.

Thanks, C&P! Even better, slow cooker!

Last edited:
Thanks! I got the recipe from LindaZ. Basically the filling has hamburger, zesty (or hot) sausage, a bit of tomato sauce, chopped onion, cooked white rice, salt and pepper. Line the bottom of a slow cooker or Dutch oven with scrap cabbage leaves. Roll the filling in the leaves and layer them with scattered tomatoes. (I use a can of stewed tomatoes and a can of slightly mashed whole tomatoes.) Cover the top with a few more scrap cabbage leaves. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 2 hours or cook on low in a slow cooker for 10 to 12 hours. They are better the second day.

Yumby sounding:)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom