"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 07-03-2006, 06:22 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Tenderising meat using bi-carb of soda

simple question really, what is the secret to do this right? A paste i believe, but what ratio of water[?] and soda? Every time i dine at asian restuarants i get tender beef envy....... Any knowledge would be fab, thanks...

Old 07-03-2006, 02:55 PM   #2
Executive Chef

You'll need about 1/2 tsp. of baking soda for every 1/2 c. of marinade you use. Don't marinate the meat too long though or else it will get overly tender. Only use this for tough cuts of meat (i.e. London Broil) that you are using to stir fry with. If you are using a meat that is naturally tender, you won't need to use the baking soda unless you want that really, really soft texture.

Old 07-04-2006, 07:29 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

The Bi-carb Dilemma

Ironchef i thank you for your insight into tenderising meat using bcos, re the paste though, would it make B.B.Q's style cuts tender. i.e: melt in the mouth tender or should i just keep practising?????
daryl_r.
Old 07-04-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
Master Chef

How long do you marinate the meat, Ironchef?
Old 07-04-2006, 12:14 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

actually you can use 7-up/spirte or coke
it works the same work

bubblygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
Cook

Let me start by saying that boiling a potato is about the epitome of my cooking skills, but I'm unable to squelch myself from commenting on the tenderizing of tough cuts of meat using baking soda that I'm reading here.

Has anyone heard of braising? You can take the sole off a leather boot, and using something acidic like tomato sauce on the bottom of your pan over heat so low you can hardly see anything move, you'll be able to cut the leather with a fork and eat it like filet mignon after a couple of hours. As I understand it, the long, slow cooking melts the collagen connecting tissue leaving what's left "falling apart." If the the tomato sauce turns you off, try a little beef broth.

Another thought: I'd guess the baking soda diminishes the nutritive value of the meat.
Old 07-04-2006, 03:15 PM   #7
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mignon
...Has anyone heard of braising?...

Yes, braising works but not if you plan to do a stir-fry with the meat. The use of baking soda will tenderize the meat and then you can cook it the way you want.

I have seen no evidence that baking soda effects the nutrients in meats. Could you post your sources?
Old 07-04-2006, 06:31 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl_r
Ironchef i thank you for your insight into tenderising meat using bcos, re the paste though, would it make B.B.Q's style cuts tender. i.e: melt in the mouth tender or should i just keep practising?????
daryl_r.
Are you asking if using it in a marinade will work if you grill or smoke the meat? If you're slow cooking it you shouldn't need it. It's more for tenderizing meat that you will quickly cook.

Constance, it depends on how tough the meat is. If you're using a very cheap and tough cut of meat from the chuck or round cuts, you would marinate it for at least 4-8 hours. If it's something that's in-between in toughness like flank or skirt, then 2-4 hours should be ok.
Old 07-04-2006, 07:14 PM   #9
Master Chef

Ironchef, I'm mainly interested in tenderizing sirloin tip steaks about 1-1/4 inches thick.
I love the taste and leanness of this cut, but it's really too tough to cook like a steak.
Old 07-05-2006, 11:10 AM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M.
Yes, braising works but not if you plan to do a stir-fry with the meat. The use of baking soda will tenderize the meat and then you can cook it the way you want.

I have seen no evidence that baking soda effects the nutrients in meats. Could you post your sources?
I started by admitting I didn't know from beans about cooking and then promptly proved it with my remark about baking soda. It seems everyone and his father knows about using baking soda to tenderize beef but me. The only relevant citation I can post [http://lists.foodsafetyweb.info/SCRI...dsafe&P=47127] seems to be equivocal on the subject.

I think I'll retire from this dialogue and save myself for something I know about, like putting my foot in my mouth.

Tags
None