The Cornish Pasty gains EU protected status

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Very interesting. I guess it's a good thing that here in Michigan where pasties are a transplant we have never labled them Cornish.

Interesting. One of the links on the right had a recipe. A swede (fwiw) is a rutabaga on this side of the pond.
I grow my own rutabagas, I still have some of last years crop left.

Top Tip leave Sven the Swede in the ground till after the first hard frost.
Ps what do you call your Turnip?

Last edited:
Turnips... same name.

I enjoyed the link you provided about the Pastie Society. Thanks!

Last edited:
Isn't that the same as you calling your rutabagas "Jill"? :rolleyes:

What kind of cut do you use for rutabagas in pasties in order to get them to cook through and not be crunchy since nothing is pre-cooked? Ultra thin sliced?

Last edited:
Turnips... same name.

I enjoyed the link you provided about the Pastie Society. Thanks!

Actually, rutabagas are winter turnips. The "white/purple" turnips are summer turnips. My DH ordered turnip seed one year to surprise me. I was dismayed that the seed was "summer turnip" and not rutabagas. I don't know how to cook summer turnips!

Actually, rutabagas are winter turnips. The "white/purple" turnips are summer turnips. My DH ordered turnip seed one year to surprise me. I was dismayed that the seed was "summer turnip" and not rutabagas. I don't know how to cook summer turnips!

I don't notice much difference between them except the colour and size. Rutabagas are usually larger.

Well--I notice a difference in texture and taste...and rutabagas keep longer when stored for the winter. Guess that's why they are winter turnips <g>.

Rutabagas

Isn't that the same as you calling your rutabagas "Jill"? :rolleyes:

What kind of cut do you use for rutabagas in pasties in order to get them to cook through and not be crunchy since nothing is pre-cooked? Ultra thin sliced?

I slice mine very thin before placing them in the pastry. I do saute the onions and celery a bit before placing in pastry. I use turnips and rutabagas. (Depending upon the season.) Same result.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom