"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Old 05-17-2005, 11:31 AM   #11
Master Chef
Sea and Shore Kabobs

Sea-and-Shore Kabobs

Source: Better Homes and Gardens
Makes 4 servings
Prep: 25 minutes
Grill: 12 minutes

8 ounces fresh or frozen jumbo shrimp
2 tablespoons cooking oil
2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon curry powder
8 ounces boneless pork, cut into 1-inch cubes
1/4 of a fresh pineapple, cut into 1- to 1-1/2-inch cubes
3 red plums, pitted and quartered lengthwise
Salt and pepper
1/2 of a small papaya, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-1/2-inch cubes

1. Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp; set aside.
2. For glaze, in a medium mixing bowl stir together cooking oil, onion, garlic, lemon peel, lemon juice, and curry powder. Set aside.
3. Thread pork, pineapple, and plums on four 8-inch skewers. Season with salt and pepper, if desired. Thread shrimp and papaya on four additional 8-inch skewers.
4. Place pork skewers on the rack of the grill directly over medium-high heat. Grill for 12 to 14 minutes or until no pink remains, turning several times and brushing with glaze. Grill shrimp skewers beside pork skewers for 8 to 10 minutes or until opaque, turning several times and brushing with glaze. Heat and pass any remaining glaze. Makes 4 servings.

Constance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:37 PM   #12
Hospitality Queen
Originally Posted by GB
I have been trying to like mushrooms for a while now. I know there are many different types and they are all different in taste and texture so I will not give up on trying them. I WILL like mushrooms. I WILL like mushrooms. I WILL like mushrooms...
Me too, GB -
I've never, ever liked them, but I'm really trying now. The only ones I can handle are the portabellos. I will say, though, they are really fun to slice with my new knife set!

The way I started was by throwing them into my spaghetti sauce because everything tastes good with tomatoes.

Then I tried them with chicken and alfredo pasta, because everything tastes good with cream and butter on top.

Now, I'll be grilling them a la Bucky, because everything tastes good when it's grilled.

Come visit my foodie blog: www.SockmonkeysKitchen.com
This week's topic: Pinterest and Potatoes
jkath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:46 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
awww, i thought it was gonna say "cause everything tastes good that bucky makes..."

jkath and gb, lemme look back for a recipe i poste a while back for chicken, red wine, thyme, and sliced portabellas. i will make a shroom lover out of you yet...
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 01:50 PM   #14
Chief Eating Officer
I can't wait to see it BT
You know you can't resist clicking
this link. Your eyes will thank you. VISUAL BLISS
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2005, 02:06 PM   #15
Executive Chef
Marinate cubes of steak, along with vegetables, and/or seafood in this marinade and grill until desired doneness. Just use the marinade portion of this recipe:

Yield: Approx. 6 - 8 oz Portions

3 lbs. Flank, Skirt, or Hanger Steak
1-2 Fresh Jalapeno or Serrano Chiles
6 Medium Cloves of Garlic
1 cup loosely packed fresh Cilantro, rinsed and dried
2 Tbsp. Fresh Thyme
1/2 Medium sized Red Onion OR 4 Shallots, coarsely chopped
2-3 Tbsp. Honey
Juice of 2 Limes
3/4 cup Corn Oil
Kosher Salt to taste

Combine all ingredients except for the steak and salt in a food processor or blender, and blend until ingredients are well incorporated. Use just one of the chilis, then add in another if you want it hotter. For one chili, use 2 Tbsp. Honey; use 3 Tbsp. Honey for two chiles. In a ziplock bag or shallow dish, place steak and approx. 1/2 cup of the marinade. Massage marinade into both sides of the meat, and marinate overnight in the refrigerator, turning the meat at least twice.

Prepare Grill to Medium-High. Remove meat from the refrigerator, and let it sit at room temp. for at least 30 minutes. Season both sides of the steak liberally with the Kosher salt and place on the grill. Cook to desired doneness, approx 4 minutes per side for Medium Rare. Using a sharp knife, slice steak on a bias to approx. 1/8"-1/4" slices. Drizzle the remaining marinade over the meat and serve
"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe
ironchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:17 AM   #16
Master Chef
Thanks for responding everyone! Sorry but somehow I overlooked the responses until now. I love mushrooms bucky. DH can tolerate them but he's not a big fan. Oh well, just means more for me.

Is 2 hours enough for the chuck to get tender bucky? Isn't that a pretty tough cut of meat if its not cooked for a long time?

I bought some of Emeril's original not long ago and tried it but I'm not a big fan of it.....it had a real woodsy taste. Had I been able to smell it before buying it I could of known I wouldn't care for it just by the smell. I really thought it would have a spicy taste with him always saying BAM! Oh well I'll just pass it along to someone else in the family.
Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2005, 10:24 AM   #17
Master Chef
the BF, my brother and my friend tina and i made some good ones.they were made with marinated sirloin cubes, bell pepper, hunks of portabellas, oyster mushrooms, and cherry tomatoes. we broiled them but i have had grilled kebabs that were great.
i imagine tenderloin cubes would be delish instead of sirloin!.

i believe that life would not be complete sans comfy 'ol tee-shirts, the Golden Girls, and the color pink
& rock on, PITTSBURGH-
luvs is offline   Reply With Quote