"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison
Old 05-08-2008, 09:10 PM   #11
Head Chef
Okay :) So the membrane is the shiny thing and it doesnt keep seasoning on it...

Here is my recipe:

2 racks of pork back ribs
4 tsp mesquite or cajun spice depending on your tastes, i prefer mesquite
1/2 tsp of salt and pepper each
2 cups ketchup
1/2 cup wine vinegar
2 tbsp sugar
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce

Trim fat from ribs, cut into two rib portions.

Stir together spice, salt and peper in a small bowl. Rub all over the ribs - I like to throw a rib in at a time and coat it. Arrange them on a broiler pan and broil until they are brown, normally about 5 minutes per side.

While they are broiling you can make the sauce. Whisk the ketchup, vinegar, sugar, and Worcestershire sauce. Dip each rib into the sauce to coat it, and place them in the slower cooker stacked. Don't let them touch the sides or they will burn. Pour remaining sauce over the ribs in the slow cooker.

Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours, or until they are tender. The bones will be so soft they will be edible! But I wouldn't eat them.. lol

If you want to speed it up, cook on high for 6 ish hours. I don't recommend this as it burns some of them.

Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:13 PM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
Whoaa, them there's the good ones

I would only pick off any loose fat. Just the hanging stuff if there is any even. It's nice to peel the membrane... I do..... dig a paring knife under a shorter rib to start and use a paper towell for grip, but there's two camps on this one. Once you tear a cooked rib off, you never eat that side anyway. You wouldn't be doing yourself a diservice to leave it on rather than if you had to fight with it.

Looks like a couple a really nice racks...... but slow cooking? As in not using a grill?

Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2008, 09:15 PM   #13
Head Chef
Thanks for the advice everyone!! I'm off to trim those ribs.

I broil them to brown and then slow cook them.
Old 05-09-2008, 06:11 AM   #14
Master Chef
Send a message via Yahoo to Barb L.
Nice looking ribs there Saph, I just season mine - thats it, membrane never bothered me.
Grandma's Boys - Isaiah (11) Cameron (3 )
Barb L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 07:39 AM   #15
Sous Chef
I prefer to trim the membrane off...it does not break down during the cooking process and can leave some tough spots. It's not terrible to leave it on, but I have gotten better results when removing it. Same applies to pork tenderloins.
Official member of the club
Vegans die from arrogant smugness & sprout rot. - pighood
bowlingshirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:01 AM   #16
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
I broil them to brown and then slow cook them.

DId you end up cooking them yesterday...How did they turn out?
Recent culinary graduate, chocolate covered gifts are my specialty.
JPolito830 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:02 AM   #17
Executive Chef
The removal of the membrane is more of an opinion rather than something that should be done. Sometimes I remove it sometimes I try to take it off and it turns out to be a pain, so I leave it on.

I wouldn't trim a thing on those ribs either. They look real good. Sometimes you'll get a small little piece that's barely hanging on, I trim that off and give it to the dog after it has cooked through.
Jeekinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2008, 09:35 AM   #18
Head Chef
I did take off the membrane. It was kinda gross lol. I'm glad I cut my fingernails as short as I could (i usually have nice "girly" fingernails, not too long but not really short and done too) because I've had a bad experience of picking meat out from under them.. EW. They are broiling right now and they are HUGE! They are going to be soooo good.

After they broil they'll be in the slow cooker, and I"ll post a pic for everyone. I am going to make more again next week if they have more nice cuts like this.

Look how big these suckers are: