Unusual meatballs? ISO unique recipes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
I don’t like meatballs much, as they exist in American cuisine. I did a search on google for “meatball recipes for people who don’t like meatballs” and all I came up with were recipes for Swedish meatballs and “what you’re doing wrong” articles.

Anyone out there have a secret recipe, or even a secret ingredient that would boost the flavor and “wow” factor of the humble meatball? Is using a blend of meats the answer? Adding fat? Veggies?

Or should I just throw up my hands and say “ya know what, Joel? You just don’t LIKE meatballs. Dont try to reinvent them. Just DONT MAKE THEM!”

I don’t like meatballs much, as they exist in American cuisine. I did a search on google for “meatball recipes for people who don’t like meatballs” and all I came up with were recipes for Swedish meatballs and “what you’re doing wrong” articles.

Anyone out there have a secret recipe, or even a secret ingredient that would boost the flavor and “wow” factor of the humble meatball? Is using a blend of meats the answer? Adding fat? Veggies?

Or should I just throw up my hands and say “ya know what, Joel? You just don’t LIKE meatballs. Dont try to reinvent them. Just DONT MAKE THEM!”
Dude. Meatballs are delicious :yum: If you don't like them, ur doing it wrong ;)

What is the recipe you are using? I'm sure we can improve it.

I know there are some recipes with blue berry jam, grape jam that can be pretty good. I like meat balls made with beef and pork, soaked white bread, eggs and parmesan cheese stewed in tomato sauce...they are so tender...

Yes! Plain beef meatballs taste like... plain beef meatballs. I make mine with a 50/50 mix of beef and pork. Mixing your ground beef with sausage -- any kind of sausage -- also makes them sing.

CD

I know there are some recipes with blue berry jam, grape jam that can be pretty good. I like meat balls made with beef and pork, soaked white bread, eggs and parmesan cheese stewed in tomato sauce...they are so tender...

Ah, parmesan cheese is another great addition to meatballs.

CD

I have posted here the Swedish meatball recipe. You can exchange the beef/ pork with venison and add bit of cranberry jelly to the mixture or lamb and add flat leaf parsley and garlic to it.

You can also do boiled meatballs.

JJ, I highly recommend this cookbook:
https://www.amazon.com/Meatball-Shop-Cookbook-Daniel-Holzman/dp/0440423163
I would imagine you could get it at the local public library by now.
I have a copy somewhere... but I really liked the Lamb Meatballs!

Kofta is also a type of meatball and then there is Spanish meatballs in almond and white wine sauce

Craig makes a variation of Mama Maroni's meatballs, which uses g beef, fresh herbs and grated parm. He also makes a mean banh mi pork meatball.

https://www.bonappetit.com/recipe/pork-meatball-banh-mi

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/grandma-maronis-meatballs-100-year-old-recipe-recipe-1950417

I know he uses less eggs, but can't find where he may have poted his variation. Hopefully, he will chime in.

He also picked up some fresh made still raw ones once from a local Italian deli. They had a lot of veal in them. You could taste it. They were very light and fluffy and delish. Maybe you could try some from an Italian deli if you have one around, see if you like theirs, then go from there.

Last edited:
Dude. Meatballs are delicious :yum: If you don't like them, ur doing it wrong ;)

What is the recipe you are using? I'm sure we can improve it.
Any chance you can tell us what you're doing now that you don't like?

Here are my rules for meatballs:
- use a mix of meats - I usually use 1 lb. of ground beef and 1/2 lb. of ground pork. A good amount of fat is necessary for tenderness.
- use a panade - a mixture of bread and milk - and an egg to add moisture and help with binding
- season well - there are lots of ways to do this - Italian, Mexican, Greek, Swedish, Middle Eastern, Chinese, Thai.
- fry about a tablespoon of the mixture to check the seasoning
- roast at 400 for 15-20 minutes
- make a dipping sauce or finish cooking in sauce

Seventeen meatball recipes for your perusal: https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/01/meatball-recipes-soups-sandwiches-spaghetti.html

Last edited:
Kofta is also a type of meatball and then there is Spanish meatballs in almond and white wine sauce

If Kofta are considered meatballs, they have space/time issues.

I feel like Bubba from Forrest Gump when talking about all of the types of meatballs you can make.

Believe me, GotGarlic has the answer. Meat balls feature in the best - and the curious meatballs. From what I've read, meatballs are an economic way of stretching simple ingredients, and they turn up in their various forms all over the world. If you google about meatballs, you will find it interest reading, and perhaps even inspiring.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Here is a recipe that has its roots in the near/Middle East. It's versatile. As you can see from the title, it has many uses. I used to make it into burgers most often but them switched over to making it into a meatloaf as we like it best that way.

I choose to use a food processor on the veggies as I don't like to come across chunks fo onion etc. when I'm eating meatloaf. I use the eggs and breadcrumbs for the meatloaf and meatballs but not for the burgers.

LULEH KEBABS/BURGERS/MEATLOAF/MEATBALLS

1 Ea Large Onion, rough cut
½ C Parsley
2 tsp Salt
½ tsp Allspice
½ tsp Cumin
¼ tsp Black Pepper
¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
⅓ C Tomato Sauce
1 Lb Ground Beef
1 Lb Ground Lamb
2 Ea Eggs, optional
⅔ C Bread Crumbs, optional

Place the onion, parsley, salt, allspice, cumin, black pepper, cayenne pepper and tomato into a (mini) food processor and process to a mostly smooth consistency.

Place the meats into a large bowl, add the processed vegetables and seasonings. Add the eggs and breadcrumbs if using.

Thoroughly mix all the ingredients by hand.

For meatballs or meatloaf, include the eggs and the breadcrumbs. Shape appropriately.

Shape golf ball size amounts of the mixture onto skewers for kebabs or into patties for burgers.

Grill kebabs or burgers until done.

Roast the meatballs or meatloaf in a 400ºF oven to an internal temperature of 160ºF.

Back
Top Bottom