"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 11-22-2011, 08:13 PM   #11
Executive Chef

scrapple sandwich for lunch today!! toasted rye bread (w/larger surface area):) spread w/helman's, then two recs scrapple, topped w/ sliced hard boiled egg and sliced baby dill pickles--awesome scrapple sammie!!! it's going WAY too fast! and of all things--my mom likes this scrapple. what?! my mom, who won't eat meat, almost never--of any kind--likes this scrapple!! i'm glad she's loving the scrapple, glad to see her eat with pleasure....and west coast just gained a new regular customer, my mother....:)

Old 11-22-2011, 08:36 PM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
scrapple is breakfast pate

boil up various scraps from the head and skin to get the collagen and fat and a few scraps of meat and the broth (same as you do for fish stock or turkey broth, right?) strain. cook whole wheat meal and corn meal in the broth with black pepper and herbs and spices (sage etc) with the liver and meat scraps ...thus the "pate". It is a country pate after all. Let cool in loaf pans, cut and fry. OMG crispy porky goodness at about $1.67 a pound.

someone is being ripped off at $25 a pound. Rappa Scrapple of Bridgeville DE will ship on dry ice in the cooler months. Give em a call or check out their web site.
Robo and Vit..........my daddy made great Scrapple when I was a kid, and there was nothing "ikcy" in it.
He'd boil up a whole rack of pork spareribs in a huge pot, and then remove all the bones. All you need to do after that is stir in the white corn meal with the herbs and spices...especially sage. Pour it into loaf pans and chill.
Now I'm hungry for his style of scrapple and I have some ribs in the freezer!!
Nothing like it fried with real maple syrup.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:59 PM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Robo and Vit..........my daddy made great Scrapple when I was a kid, and there was nothing "ikcy" in it.
He'd boil up a whole rack of pork spareribs in a huge pot, and then remove all the bones. All you need to do after that is stir in the white corn meal with the herbs and spices...especially sage. Pour it into loaf pans and chill.

from earthquakes to scrapple--we've come a long way, you and i, kayelle....
Old 11-22-2011, 09:14 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

when does a scrapple, made from pig scraps, cease to be scrapple and starts being a pork terrine?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 09:49 PM   #15
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
My grandmother made hers from pork necks. The rest sounds similar to your recipe. It was fantastic!
Old 09-13-2012, 05:17 PM   #16
Executive Chef

i had to return to this scrapple thread with an update now that i'm back online again. i apparently received an email from "steve" of west coast scrapple in july, offering to send me a complimentary pound of their mouthwatering scrapple within the following week. oh NO!!! i will just die if i'm too late to claim this generous gift in september! i had sent wcs an email last november lavishly praising their wonderful scrapple but it had somehow gone astray for some months before finally finding its way to steve's mailbox. so, to express their appreciation for my compliments and support--yayyy--scrapple heaven for vit!

i am already compiling a list of companies who will be receiving emails from me in the near future....
Old 09-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #17
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
when does a scrapple, made from pig scraps, cease to be scrapple and starts being a pork terrine?
Scrapple/terrine/meatloaf? What's in a name.

Sort of like - golabki, galumpe, holoshki.
Old 10-22-2012, 08:16 PM   #18
Executive Chef

back to the subject of my free scrapple from west coast scrapple: it came on saturday!! i fried up a breakfast-for-supper meal with slabs of soft 'n crisp scrapple, fried potatoes and eggs over easy--all pan fried in rendered duck fat--it just doesn't get any better than that, folks! ain't nothing that tastes so good as potatoes, eggs and scrapple fried--not in butter, not bacon grease, but done in a big pan of duck fat--yummm...a meal i will remember for a long, long, very long time. a great big smile on my face....
Old 10-22-2012, 08:35 PM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitauta View Post
back to the subject of my free scrapple from west coast scrapple: it came on saturday!! i fried up a breakfast-for-supper meal with slabs of soft 'n crisp scrapple, fried potatoes and eggs over easy--all pan fried in rendered duck fat--it just doesn't get any better than that, folks! ain't nothing that tastes so good as potatoes, eggs and scrapple fried--not in butter, not bacon grease, but done in a big pan of duck fat--yummm...a meal i will remember for a long, long, very long time. a great big smile on my face....
I think an artery clogged in sympathy... Nope, just gas.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I love scrapple! Put some maple syrup on it for even better results!

Tags
other