Weird and wonderful Meat dish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
whale in a type of stew with wine, onions, wild mushrooms, although I did not know it was whale when I ate it. It rather tasted like loin of pork. (not in this country, at my cousins B&B in Norway)

nothing amazing- just alligator and frog. i have frog legs in the freezer, now, i think, woooo-hoooo.

ribbit.

The food I've had the hardest time eating was frog... I just dont like it much.

Other than that I'll just list what I enjoy:

Stingray: dried, shredded and in broth. Insanely good.

Intestine, brain, kidneys, stomache: in a variety of Mexican and Chinese cooking. Be it menudo, tacos de tripa, "assorted noodle" or whatever, it's great stuff. As for american uses I love dense, spicy sausage with ton's of beef heart in it.

And like Luv's I too have some hitchiker leg's in my fridge... I mean chicken legs officer... oh boy... I might be going away for a long time.

... :rolleyes:

Goat, frog, snails, rabbit, alligator
and I had a piece of jerky made from Kangaroo once. It was good.

I suppose it had to be bear meat...:sick: Someone gave my grandpa some and he passed it on to me YESH:shock: I refused to eat it, just as I did my pet rabbit, my fraternal Grandmama tried to pass off as chicken...

kadesma:blink:

Never had a wierd meat, other than those they put in McDonald's hamburgers :cool: . But I have had buffalo (American Bison) venisan, veal, potted meat (don't look at the ingredient list), head cheese, grouse, beaver, smails, frog legs, fried squid tentacles, raw fish, and raw octopus (in Korea), pickled pig's feat, and probably others that I've forgotten. Never intentionaly swallowed an insect, though wihile riding bicycles, motorcycles, etc. Have swallowed the occasional gnat or mosquito, truly a disgusting experience. :ohmy:

Seeeeeya; Goodwweed of the North

Ive had almot all the ones he mentioned. Pig's feet can be great. I was also going to include a joke but I dont want to get banned today. :mrgreen:

As for insects there's toasted grasshoppers that taste like peanuts and those honey ants I had in the south that tasted kinda like raisins.

Last edited:
i'll remember till the day i die my Dad in the basement, skinning and prepping a rabbit for dinner. he made the most delicious stew with that bunny that i can ever remember eating; in fact, i think that was probably THE best meal i've ever eaten.
he still says i couldn't possibly remember that cause i was still in pampers then, but i absolutely do.
i was at a friend's house in 8th grade, and they asked if i wanted a steak. i said, 'sure, thanks'. not till i was done (and it WAS a very good piece of meat) did they reveal that it was possum.
i shudder even thiniking about it now.

I think I've had the pretty much standard unusual stuff like everyone else - Elk, alligator, rattlesnake, etc. Nothing too strange stands out except the texture of sea urchin (but that's a different forum).

I thought this was about me Weird and Wonderful, Thats just what Barbara would say. :brows:
Ok now for the food, Bear meat man is it greasy, it doesn't taste like chicken I will tell you that. Possum, and Turtle are nasty too. :sick: :dizzy: :dizzy: :sick:

Bizare

Probally the wierdest thhing I have eaten is "Mountain Oysters", which are young rams testicles, fried in butter with onions. I was all of about 5 at the time. They tasted good and I had no idea what they were so carried on eating.
Have also eaten Huhu grubs, which are a wood eating larve, also known as Witchie Grubs in Australia, They taste like crunchy peanut butter and are beautiful when injected with an egg and cheese mixture and sauted.
Possum has been on the list, have eaten dog in Papua New Guinea, also snake, horse I have not YET, don't think I've eaten cat atleast not knowingly.

I have had brain (goats and lambs) as a young child. I was not picky and would eat whatever was put in front of me (except crawling stuff and stuff that was not cooked). I thought it tasted like scrambled eggs (a lot creamier LOL). I have also tried kidney's and trotters (hoofs) of goat and lamb.

I am not huge into meat or organ parts anymore. I think of it now and I don't think I can palate them anymore.

Hare, which is a lot different than bunny, and lion.

Oh yes, and jellyfish and sea cucumbers and baby eels, whole.

Then the usual elk, bear, alligator and rattlesnake.

These were just a 'when in Rome eat what the local folks do' sorta thing, not that stuff we crave.

Really like hare though, it is much more of a red meat while bunny is more like chicken in texture.

Another wierd and wonderful.....

In Papua New Guinea as a kid I had the misfrtune to try octopus and banana fritters done in coconut crumb. I couldn't eat enough of them until I found out what they were. Then thought I was eating them before and they are quite tasty so just carried on.

Guiedo said:
In Papua New Guinea as a kid I had the misfrtune to try octopus and banana fritters done in coconut crumb. I couldn't eat enough of them until I found out what they were. Then thought I was eating them before and they are quite tasty so just carried on.
WOW those sound amazing. My mouth is watering!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom