What goes with Meatloaf?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anonymous

Senior Cook
Hi there,
I was looking for something with a real authentic American flavour, and decided on, of all things Meatloaf. Seen it in the movies, heard the jokes on TV shows, all of that.
Looking on the Net, I've found 1001 recipes for Meatloaf, more styles than I could make in a year of cooking.

My question is, what do you serve with Meatloaf?
None of these recipes mention what goes with what, though, there was a vague hint towards Mashed Potatos.

Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated,

many thanks,

Lost English Cook

Meatloaf can be made so many different ways but I really love green bell peppers in mine and feel all others are lacking something. I can't imagine eating meatloaf and not having a baked potatoe, it's probably illegal even.
A few nights ago I had a conversation and we were discussing what was really authentic "American Food". They call New York City the melting pot of the world but truthfully that can really be said for the entire United States. People say pasta is italian but in reality its chinese. People say pizza is Italian but American Pizza is nothing like Italian pizza. The Anasazi have lived in the Arizona/New Mexico area since about 10,000 BC and by 1 AD had built and were living in cliff dwellings and some free standing buildings. Their diet was breads made out of corn. They farmed corn, beans, and squash. They picked wild plant foods like sunflower seed . They hunted game for meat and made a beef jerky type of thing from buffalo meat. They picked chili peppers and had a trade route with the Aztecs. Try finding some native american recipes and or Anasazi which evolved into the Hopi amd Navajo tribes. The closest thing to it that you probably have eaten is Mexican food(the Aztec connection)

potatoes are a must, in my opinion, but oldcoots right--pretty much everything goes with meatloaf.
the best meatloaf i ever had was made with ground beef tenderloin and a couple of varieties of spicy sausage. Very good.

After reading your post, Michelledawn, I ran out and snapped this shot of a section of my vegetable garden, which I shall henceforth refer to as my "Anasazi Garden": squash, beans, and corn in close

mexicangarden.JPG

We might recall that tomatoes, many chiles, potatoes, and a wide variety of other food are native to our Western Hemisphere, too.

LOL @ "Anasazi Garden" You must have a really nice garden as you found the space to raise corn. Your squash looks great for this time of the year. I have a "small" balcony garden with 2 tomatoe plants, greek oregano, purple basil, flat leaf parsley, aloe, and a few plants.

Have you enough room for six 2 lb coffee cans tied together in a rectangle, Michelle? Fill 'em with panter mix and plant a couple of seeds of corn in each one. You'll have your own cornfield! (Or you can grow just one, but you'll have to hand pollinate and cvross your fingers.) Golden Bantam hybrid is soooo good!

The sunlight hits just the edge of the balcony and that space is pretty much used up shrugs. I was raised on a farm and love fresh corn though. Go figure, a country southern girl living in a big city apartment...lol

meatloaf

thank you so much for your suggestions - i've also been told about buttered noodles to go with it. are they just tossed in butter or something more complicated.i got recipe out of better homes and gardens cook book12th edition . it was given to me by a Texan friend on her visit last year. i have to convert a lot of stuff but the recipes are good

Mashed potatoes are traditional with meatloaf, at least around here. You'll usually find green beans or sweet peas and/or creamed spinach served along with these two...and fresh hot rolls, or cornbread. In fact, this is my menu for Monday! How 'bout some Apple Pie or Banana pudding for dessert? :D

Potato in any form is fine with me!! Except....with salmon patties ( or croquettes...which ever you prefer to call them) it MUST be buttered potatoes and green peas...with or without the carrots! Tiny red new potatoes, Petite Golden Yukons, quartered, or just ordinary Idaho "chunks" peeled or unpeeled....steamed, with lots of butter, a bit of salt and pepper...ummmmmm! :D

Oh, and answer to the original question...noodles are just fine too....cooked, then add butter, salt, pepper, and a touch of fresh minced garlic, and a dash of parsley.

what goes with meatloaf

baked potato, Campbell's pork and beans and lettuce salad

Well now, since there are so many wonderful suggestions for sides to meatloaf I'll just have to drop by everyone's house (not on the same night of course!) and do a little taste test. ok??

At our house it's definately mashed potatoes usually with peas or corn or creamed corn. Put a piece of of meatloaf on fork, scoop in mashed potatoes, then smoosh in the peas so they adhere to the mashed potatoes - kind of like a casserole on a fork! :roll:

Foods that go with meatloaf. depends what time of year it is. For me I prefer meatloaf with potato, pumpkin or parsnip in the colder seasons and with salad and beetroot in the warmer seasons. But I do agree with some of the others when they say that meatloaf goes with most vegies. Carnt go wrong really. ;)

Yuppers, I think meatloaf can go with just about anything. it's even good cold on gooey white bread with a good slice of Cheddar or American cheese! :LOL:

anyway, sides for meatloaf. if you want to go with potatos, maybe try roasting them in a bit of olive oil, garlic and rosemary. or maybe a mixture of roasted vegetables, carrots, squash, sweet potato, parsnip, even some red peppers and zuchinni if you want. or you could go with just some steamed green beans, brocolli and such. i guess heaps of stuff goes with meatloaf. it depends on your personal tastes...
good luck

Back
Top Bottom