"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison

Old 06-13-2003, 12:21 PM   #1
Senior Cook

What goes with Meatloaf?

Hi there,
I was looking for something with a real authentic American flavour, and decided on, of all things Meatloaf. Seen it in the movies, heard the jokes on TV shows, all of that.
Looking on the Net, I've found 1001 recipes for Meatloaf, more styles than I could make in a year of cooking.

My question is, what do you serve with Meatloaf?
None of these recipes mention what goes with what, though, there was a vague hint towards Mashed Potatos.

Any help on the subject would be greatly appreciated,

many thanks,

Lost English Cook

Old 06-13-2003, 01:57 PM   #2
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelledawn
Meatloaf can be made so many different ways but I really love green bell peppers in mine and feel all others are lacking something. I can't imagine eating meatloaf and not having a baked potatoe, it's probably illegal even.
A few nights ago I had a conversation and we were discussing what was really authentic "American Food". They call New York City the melting pot of the world but truthfully that can really be said for the entire United States. People say pasta is italian but in reality its chinese. People say pizza is Italian but American Pizza is nothing like Italian pizza. The Anasazi have lived in the Arizona/New Mexico area since about 10,000 BC and by 1 AD had built and were living in cliff dwellings and some free standing buildings. Their diet was breads made out of corn. They farmed corn, beans, and squash. They picked wild plant foods like sunflower seed . They hunted game for meat and made a beef jerky type of thing from buffalo meat. They picked chili peppers and had a trade route with the Aztecs. Try finding some native american recipes and or Anasazi which evolved into the Hopi amd Navajo tribes. The closest thing to it that you probably have eaten is Mexican food(the Aztec connection)

Old 06-13-2003, 02:36 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Didn't know there was much of anything that doesn't go with meatloaf.
Old 06-13-2003, 03:16 PM   #4
Senior Cook

potatoes are a must, in my opinion, but oldcoots right--pretty much everything goes with meatloaf.
the best meatloaf i ever had was made with ground beef tenderloin and a couple of varieties of spicy sausage. Very good.

Wine in a box is better than no wine at all.
carnivore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 04:27 PM   #5
Senior Cook

After reading your post, Michelledawn, I ran out and snapped this shot of a section of my vegetable garden, which I shall henceforth refer to as my "Anasazi Garden": squash, beans, and corn in close

We might recall that tomatoes, many chiles, potatoes, and a wide variety of other food are native to our Western Hemisphere, too.
Old 06-13-2003, 05:13 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

LOL @ "Anasazi Garden" You must have a really nice garden as you found the space to raise corn. Your squash looks great for this time of the year. I have a "small" balcony garden with 2 tomatoe plants, greek oregano, purple basil, flat leaf parsley, aloe, and a few plants.
Old 06-13-2003, 07:17 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Have you enough room for six 2 lb coffee cans tied together in a rectangle, Michelle? Fill 'em with panter mix and plant a couple of seeds of corn in each one. You'll have your own cornfield! (Or you can grow just one, but you'll have to hand pollinate and cvross your fingers.) Golden Bantam hybrid is soooo good!
Old 06-13-2003, 08:09 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

The sunlight hits just the edge of the balcony and that space is pretty much used up shrugs. I was raised on a farm and love fresh corn though. Go figure, a country southern girl living in a big city apartment...lol
Old 06-13-2003, 08:31 PM   #9
Senior Cook

roof?
Old 06-13-2003, 08:47 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

That might work!! I will have to look into it. Then I could add some chili's and cucumbers. :D

Tags
None